Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 12:20 PM

Gary, I'm so glad you and your wife are ok. A lady was killed last week when one went through her windshield, down here. Her 7 year old son was in the car with her and didn't get hurt. There was one on the highway this morning coming into work. Someone had already hit it. I was really surprised because when I leave for work, it's still pitch black out. I was under the impression they did most of their feeding after dawn and before sundown.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Up here in MA the deer are doing fine, but 2 hunters managed to shoot themselves in one week.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

I remember the dreaded "city hunters" who were the scourge of upstate NY every deer season. Many had no experience but that didn't stop them. I think some of them bought their hunter safety certificates with bribes. Then they'd buy expensive high-powered scoped rifles more suited for an elk hunt in the west, and show up in our brushy area where most locals used shotguns with slugs or a 30-30. They would then proceed to shoot up the country side. Farmers actually painted "COW" on their cattle. My mother worked in a diner on the Taconic Parkway. The state police would stay there all during the season to make easy arrests. Loaded rifles in the car. No tags on the deer. Every so often one of these guys would show up with an unregistered pistol (bad news in NY). Then there were the funny and sad stories. No kidding - one city hunter pulled into the diner parking lot with a small donkey he'd killed strapped to his car. He walked in and someone said "who's the idiot who shot the donkey?" His reply was "it's a mule deer". Of course, mule deer don't reside in NY but regardless he had killed someone's farm animal. We wondered how he got it up on the car without help. Yes, the troopers took him away too. Lots of money flowed into local coffers from the overworked Justices Of The Peace who held court.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Farmers actually painted "COW" on their cattle.

That is too funny!

Dwayne
Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM
My husband bought me white mittens, a brown coat and a hat with antlers and asked me to walk the dog in the woods. Do you think he's trying to tell me something?

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM

Marsha, I think he may be trying to tell you something!

Dwayne
Old 12-13-2009, 06:47 AM

Up here in the NE, we have signs for both Deer and Moose Crossings and they should be heeded, especially during the rut. I do not hunt, gave it up years ago when my buddy's gun went off accidently and was pointed in my direction. I now rely on relatives that hunt regularly to give me a steak or two as they are usually spot on. Backstrap fried up in a cast iron skillet with a little butter (venison is very, very lean meat)in the pan over and out is very delicious.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

My father was an outdoorsman of some local renown in his younger days (I am talking the 1920s through 40s). Hunting, fishing, racing boats on the Hudson River, he did it all and did it well. I remember being scared of the mounted deer heads in the house when I was little.

I hunted birds and liked to do varmint shooting. The battle of wits and patience between man and woodchuck can be epic!

I never really got into the deer thing. I don't hunt at all anymore. Too many hassles. But I am always legal if the mood strikes me. I have a lifetime Alabama hunting license.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM

The best venison I have eaten was cooked by some of my hired help from "South of the Border". They dug a small pit filled it with oak and kept the fir going until they had a nice bed of coals. In when the wrapped meat. It was covered with wood and dirt for several hours. The meat was very tender and tasty.
I got my pickup back the other day. Looks great for a work truck with 250,000 on it. My wife even bought me new seat covers and mats. Almost a shame to get it dirty!
We ended up going to Maac. I figured for a work truck why not. I used to take my work fleet of 5 trucks to a discount painted every few years. The crew never took care of them anyway, and for $149.99 they lasted fine for a few years.
Our Honda dealer told me the Maac in Fresno was outstanding, as did several other people. Went ahead and gave them a try.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:41 PM

That's good news. Your work truck sounds like my old work van (1978 Dodge Tradesman 180,000). It was still running when I sold it. I've had pig fixed that way in a pit. Yummy, to say the least.

What did the damage end up being for the Honda?

Dwayne

Closed Thread