Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 PM

Well last week I finally did it. We have live here on the hill for 7 years. My luck came to an end. I got my first deer. Did about $4,000 damage to my Tacoma pickup. My wife has been kidding me all week about it.
Today she lead the way as we took the 50 mile trip down the hill to put it in the shop. Today she out did me, she got a deer and did about $5500.00 damage to her CRV.
No I want to live I am not going to kid her about it at all. The main thing is neither of us got hurt. Deer were not so lucky.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Oh my gosh! Both of you? Well, as you say, at least you are both okay. But almost $10,000 damage? Do you at least get to keep the deer? That's a lot of venison steaks, roasts and burgers.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 PM

Oh Lawdy! Glad to hear both of you are alright!

Dwayne
Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 AM

I accidentally (no pun at all) ate venison jerky once. I was told it was beef jerky. It actually was really good. I wouldn't have ate it if I had known though.

Dwayne
Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Dwayne, my next-door neighbor used to go deer hunting in Idaho every season and he would always give us a few steaks and some ground meat. Once you get past the "Bambi" thing, it is really very good meat.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 AM

I like venison, but my wife would never allow it in the house. She feeds birds on the patio just outside our bedroom. The deer always come and steal it.
It is not uncommon to hit deer in our area. I picking up a rx. The lady filling it noticed my damaged truck and said "deer?". She then told me her husband has hit 3 in 5 years.
On his last hit she let him have it. Told him he was driving way to fast or something. That night on the way home she hit one, the 2 miles later hit a 2nd one.
I am just hoping insurance does not throw a fit over this.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM

It is quite common out in the county here too. One hit me last year - I say hit me because the impact was mostly on the side of the car. I didn't even see it until I felt the impact. It knocked the turn signal light out and dented the driver's side door so bad it wouldn't open. The deer got up and walked away believe it or not. It seems to be more prevalent at dusk here.

I recently read an article in our news paper about the deer not coming out in the bottoms to look for food much this year because they have an abundant food source from some kind of nuts due to all the rain.

I grew up around deer hunting, and deer season was a big deal. I just never developed a taste for it. Some friends in VA stock their freezer every year with it.

Gary, hope you don't have any insurance problems. My deductible was $500 and the damage wasn't that much. Since it was on my older car I just had my local mechanic bang the dent out and fix the light. I'm still missing a piece of plastic trim though. I'm just glad I didn't hit it head on. It makes me nervous driving with woods on both sides of the road that time of evening now. Ya never know when one is going to jump out.

Dwayne
Old 12-06-2009, 05:52 PM

I did most of the body work myself. Got replacement bumper, grill, hood, fender, right light, and blinker. A little hammer work and it look pretty good. Since it is my work truck I am getting it painted at Maaco. The one in Fresno has a pretty good team so I am been told.
Our insurance just gave me a check for the damages, said I could go anywhere or fix it myself. I already had a few bids and the Alstate adjuster was spot on with his appraisal.
My wifes cars has more damage. I doubt I can do the work, won't even try. Her deer did the same damage as mind, but pushed the fender back into the passenger door, plus it cracked the windshield.
You are correct, the deer really ran into us, there was no reaction time. Both were DOA.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Deer strikes were common when I lived in upstate NY. I still remember the road signs warning of deer crossings. I've never hit one, even down here in Alabama where there are so many deer they have a one kill per day limit (as opposed to NY having one kill per season in most cases). Down here if you hit one you get to keep it without penalty.

I am adventurous about food but frankly venison isn't popular with me. The texture is the problem. I'll eat it as part of something, such as chili or a stew, but I don't like it by itself.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Deer and wild hogs are both a problem here in North Texas, and they can do a lot of damage. We are supposed to call the local law enforcement and can NOT remove the dead animal for consumption...but I don't think many people actually call. Just check the damage and keep going, IF you are able to drive!
Dave, a great recipe for venison is to take boneless, tenderized steaks and flour and pan fry, then put in the oven with a can of beef consome, cover and bake for at least an hour...serve of rice. It is great that way.

Closed Thread