Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 AM

i think people may have randomly mentioned what kinds of cars they drive in other discussions (i seem to remember Dave talking about his R32), but i dont think we have had a topic specifically devoted to this

my current car is a Mazda 3 (4 door - don't really like the hatchback) - and i love it. I wouldn't call it fast, but it is def. peppy (esp. with the stick shift)...imo, it looks good (esp the interior), and was an easy choice compared to other cars in the same class

this is the second car ive owned (first new car) - last car was an old civic that i bought from my cousin....was a good car, but had it less than a year before i got rear ended and it was totaled...but i made more from the insurance money and eventual sale than i paid for it
Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator

I still have the VW R32. Our other car is a 2008 Accord. I love the Accord. A fully loaded V6 is under 30k and it rides like a dream. Leather and all the bells and whistles. No wonder they sell so many of them. It is a great American car (made in Ohio).

The R32 is quite well mannered for a high performance car. The ride is really quiet save for the great exhaust note.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Let's see... I drive a 2009 Scion xB (fun car that I could pay cash for). My wife drives a 2005 Acura TSX. My toy car is a beautiful blue souped up 1999 Trans Am LS1.
My company car is a 2007 Peterbilt 379.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Too bad an old friend of mine vanished from the cruise boards. He and his wife are drivers for Werner and they drive a Volvo they got on some sort of lease to own deal with Werner. Mike thinks Peterbilts and Kenworths are "The Harley Davidsons of trucking. They look nice but aren't fuel efficient, yada, yada, yada." You truck drivers are a strange lot. Mike and Dottie met in Europe while they were teaching English over there, or maybe it was doing graduate studies or both. Anyway, I learned a long time ago that you can meet some fascinating truckers. It sure isn't "10-4 good buddy" for everyone.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
my current car is a Mazda 3 (4 door - don't really like the hatchback) - and i love it.
That is the car I am interested in buying when I can afford it. I read the platform or something is the same as the Volvo S40 which I currently drive (and love). I just don't like the high cost of maintenance and all the problems I've had.

My other car is a 95 Grand Am with well over 140,000 thousand miles with minimum problems compared to the Volvo with only 40,000 miles. It would be nice if the electric windows worked now and the keyless entry.

I also have a 1988 Nissan pick-up that has outlived it's useful life. It was a darn good truck for over 20 years and I hate to put her down. It's just not safe to drive, and the bed is rusted through. It's not worth paying the insurance, taxes, and tags anymore. I hadn't started it up for over 3 months though, and used it to haul the christmas tree off a few weeks ago. It started right up. Two clutches, one alternator, and three batteries over 20 years. Now that is low maintenance!

Dwayne
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
He and his wife are drivers for Werner and they drive a Volvo they got on some sort of lease to own deal with Werner. Mike thinks Peterbilts and Kenworths are "The Harley Davidsons of trucking. They look nice but aren't fuel efficient. You truck drivers are a strange lot.

Yep, I did my initial training with Werner. I would never OWN a Peterbilt but I like it when someone else incurs the fuel expense. As far as being a strange lot, I am the only MENSA member in Birmingham who lists "Truck Driver" as their occupation.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
That is the car I am interested in buying when I can afford it. I read the platform or something is the same as the Volvo S40 which I currently drive (and love). I just don't like the high cost of maintenance and all the problems I've had.Dwayne
i thought volvo made pretty reliable cars? id like to drive the s40 to compare

correct about the platform being the same - i dont remember the details, but apparently volvo, mazda and ford (has an ownership in mazda) all got together when designing the 3....ive only had it for 30k now, but have had no major problems....i actually researched where they are built before buying - a bunch of mazdas are built in mexico, brazil or other places....while the 3 comes mostly from japan (at least it did when i bought it)...i like japanese quality...consumerreports and others have consistently given it very high "quality" ratings

if and when you do get it, you will be happy

EDIT - if you get the chance, check out the mazdaspeed3 - has 263hp on a pretty light car....thats gotta be a ton of fun to drive
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Let me take it a step further and tell you the car that I would like to drive. It would either be a Lamborghini Mercielago or a Saleen S7 (come on, it was God's car in "Bruce Almighty").
Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
check out the mazdaspeed3 - has 263hp on a pretty light car....thats gotta be a ton of fun to drive
I sometimes wonder if I should have gone with the speed3 over the R32. The Mazda is rated higher by the car magazines because it has a manual tranny and is quicker. But the R32 is paid for so I won't be buying again for a long time.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
the car that I would like to drive
I think I'd like a BMW M6 convertible.

Closed Thread