Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
On a brighter note, the folksinging group Peter, Paul and Mary returned to the stage for a concert in Hartford,CT. on Sunday 9/28/2008 after a long hiatus.

Mary Travers had a bone marrow transplant and now requires Oxygen,delivered via a nasal cannula, to sing. Her voice is as wonderful as ever and the group delivered a spirited and enjoyable concert to an SRO audience.

I believe they will be doing a limited number of concerts at different venues and if you have a chance-it is well worth the cost to view them live and on stage.

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the concert update, BillyBuzzy. I love PP&M, and used to see them every summer when they toured in the '90s. They didn't get to our area this year, but perhaps next.

I didn't know that Mary needed oxygen to sing. But, I'm glad that's an option for her that's working out, as I know that singing brings her great joy. She has such a wonderful voice.

Did they still do the solo performances midway through the show? I remember how Mary used to bring enormous photos of her granddaughter on stage to show us all how she was growing.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:37 PM
LisaP-Lisa, yes PP&M still do the solo performances after the break-Mary only did a short stint on her own but it was fantastic considering how difficult it must be to sing while on Oxygen!

They will next be appearing in Minneapolis in mid October then in Nov. there are two appearances in the East but I believe they will be in Penn. for those shows.

Prior to the Hartford show their last appearance was in late Sept. 2006 so it was a great honor to be there! The audience was overwhelmed and there was much audience singing along with them!

Applause lasted for 15 minutes after the final curtain-no one wanted to leave!

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

The greatest trio of all time! I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane...
Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 AM

That's amazing. I'm glad they're still able to tour. They have to be in their 70s or darn close to it. I was a kid when they were popular, I still enjoyed their music. I have to laugh at myself. I see someone in concert from when I was young and expect them to look like they did. I don't know why, but I'm always surprised when they're bald or wrinkled. Then I look in the mirror and realize, so am I
Old 10-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Click on this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LoBw...eature=related
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 AM

Thanks, Frase. I really enjoyed that video. I grew up with their music. I didn't realize John Denver wrote "I'm leaving on a jet plane".

I hate when I hear this version though. It means it is time to pack.

Dwayne
Old 10-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Frase-That is a really great video, it was good to see Jack Benny as the emcee too! UTube is becomming a wonderful source and repository for all types and sorts of information and is itself an entertainment source.

BillyBuzzy
Old 10-02-2008, 05:04 AM
I remember that song and use to listen to it all the time but didn't know who performed it, wow now I do.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cannula, concert, ct, hartford, mary, paul, peter