Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM

Ok, I might be committing some sort of heresy here, but I want people’s opinion of all-inclusive resorts like Sandals and Club Med. How exactly do they work? How does it compare to cruising? How is it as a vacation overall? Is it a good value? Would you recommend it as a honeymoon? Are there lots of sport/adventure activities? Can anyone share specific experiences?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM

Ok, I might be committing some sort of heresy here, but I want people’s opinion of all-inclusive resorts like Sandals and Club Med. How exactly do they work? How does it compare to cruising? How is it as a vacation overall? Is it a good value? Would you recommend it as a honeymoon? Are there lots of sport/adventure activities? Can anyone share specific experiences?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:47 PM

silence, eh? is that a hint?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 PM
I've never done an all-inclusive resort vacation, but know folks who have. Not either Club Med or Sandals, but one who went to an all-inclusive in Jamaica and another to an all-inclusive in Cazumel. Both liked the experience very much - but neither had cruising experience. Again, not having any information on Club Med or Sandals, I know the resorts included the alcohol in the vacation cost. I would think that would be a REALLY BIG difference if you're a drinker. The other big difference is the fact that you're in one place - not going to a different port everyday. Another difference would be in the staff to guest ratio. I don't know if the "land based" vacation would have the staff attention that a "sea based" vacation would have. Hopefully someone out there will have more information for you. Personally, I've looked at all-inclusives, but really prefer the ocean-going options. Good luck on making your choice. A honeymoon is special.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I have some co-workers at my job who have been to an All-Inclusive resort; and loved it. They only wished they could live there the rest of there lives. This particular resort is called Club-Hotel RIU Bachata. It is in the costal town of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. But just like stated before, they never went on a cruise so they can't make a comparison.

I was tempted to go to this resort after hearing their glowing reccomendations. But I still ended-up going on a cruise. It is still much easier and more affordable for me to go on a cruise. Especially since I live in Orlando and can drive to the major cruise ship ports in Florida.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:36 PM
CORRECTION:
They only wished they could have lived there the rest of their lives.

Also, to visit the website of the All-Inclusive resort that I mentioned, click here: Riu Bachata
Old 12-13-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks, Frase. Do you know if land-based all-inclusive resorts are usually more expensive than cruises, or just in your case?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:00 PM

The price is about the same, unless it's Bonaire or some of the more private islands and then the all inclusives are about 3-5 times more expensive. (Some even higher-like the ones in Tahiti/Fiji.) I personally do not enjoy being in one place for that amount of time. I like being able to wake up in a different island. There are activities available, but not all of them appealed to me. This is just me, I would never go back to an all-inclusive, give me a cruise ship any day of the week. But if you enjoy it, don't let me talk you out of it.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks. Your opinion could be correct - I've never been to a resort like that. The only reason I'm considering it is because I feel like it might be a bit more of a "mature" atmosphere for a honeymoon. I love cruises, but at times you can feel like you are at some sort of amusment park - the kids, occasional crowding, and silly games (even though I love the silly games). The resort seems a bit more laid back. But maybe the resorts have the same issues, and lack the benefits of a cruise - again, I don't know. I also want plenty of activites (hiking, biking, swimming), so I don't know what the resorts have to offer in that area.

Basically, I'm trying to plan the honeymoon, and just have so many options that I don't know where to start. In the end, a cruise might be the best option - we all know it won't be a bad option.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:34 PM

You could always try a Princess cruise, they tend to be less party intensive, especially on a 10-14 day itinerary. Or Holland America is more of an older clientelle, so there may be a little less silliness. If you do decide on an all-inclusive, Bonaire is great for snorkeling/diving. Much of it is a marine preserve and many of the resorts have diving/snorkeling right off the end of the docks. Tortola and Virgin Gorda are beautiful islands, as well as Grenada and Dominica. These are some of my favorites as they have not become too commercialized. They also have different topographies, Bonaire is basically flat but very, very clean. Bonaire is Dutch, Tortola and Virgin Gorda are british, Grenada might be as well. Dominica is its own government. I had some friends who went to the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica. The couple that went to the DR loved it, the couple that went to Costa Rica hated it. I haven't been to Costa Rica, so I can't tell you first hand. We have been to Costa Rica. I enjoyed Isla Catalina, but the mainland was so/so. There is a lot of history there, but it wasn't real clean and it looked like there were a lot of gangs hanging around.

How many months until the big day?

Closed Thread

Tags
children, club, compare, costa, cruise, en, med, reviews, rica, sandals, work