Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-mattox View Post
Sandy, I love your comment about looking at your watch to see how much longer you have to sit there; when I do that and we're only 20 minutes in, I know it's going to be a long afternoon.
LOL!

There have been two movies I actually walked out of, "Move" (1970), and the very popular "Batman Begins" (2005). I fell asleep for most of "Contact" (1997) although I've seen pieces of it on TV and have found it interesting in my old age. Generally, I'm not a big fan of science fiction or shoot-'em-up movies. I've become much less tolerant of violence in movies as well. That sure narrows down the pool of movies I may like!

I watched the beginning of one movie, and then had to close my eyes for big portions of it, and that was "Saving Private Ryan" (1998). The movie did heighten my appreciation of those serving in the military past and present. It was just too graphic for me.

Most movies are too long for me. Maybe my attention span has been damaged by television?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:33 PM

I think the only movie I ever walked out of was Grease 2.

Of course I snuck in another theater to see something else.

Anyone remember going to see the original Jaws on opening day? We had a single auditorium theater and they over sold the tickets. They had people sitting in the aisles. It would be lawsuit city now a days.

The weirdest thing that has ever happened at the movies for me was when I was a teenager on a double date. Went to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre at the drive in. Well some idiot decides to start a real chainsaw during a scary scene and run around the cars. The girls had a fit, and frankly it scared the dickens out of me too. I thought I would never get the popcorn cleaned out of the Camaro! Poor choice of a date movie, but we didn't have many options back then.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
In fact, our television is 25 years old, we don't have DVR but just a video tape recorder and DVD player attached to it. (Shrug) Just not that interested, I guess.
Same here, other than the age of the TV. And, my son has to show me how to use the DVD player.

For the most part, my husband and I watch the classic movie channels, especially if there is a Hepburn-Tracy movie airing. I tend to catch more recent releases when traveling on airplanes. I'm not one for going to the movie theaters anymore.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
Same here, other than the age of the TV. And, my son has to show me how to use the DVD player.

For the most part, my husband and I watch the classic movie channels, especially if there is a Hepburn-Tracy movie airing. I tend to catch more recent releases when traveling on airplanes. I'm not one for going to the movie theaters anymore.
Maybe you should give it another try like I did. I quit going because I didn't have the time and it could be annoying. I love it now when I get to go. Nothing like seeing a really good movie on the big screen with high tech sound. I can do without all the previews though. The one for Tron 3D actually rattled my bones it was so loud! Our theaters are not that crowded in the off season for matinees and it actually makes for an enjoyable experience most times. Would I go during Thanksgiving or Christmas time?...No.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 AM

We have the same Netflix plans (1 movie at a time) as many have mentioned plus a ROKU for the instant downloads. My wife will go to movies occassionally, but I am not one to sit thru one in a theater...We too, as Dave mentioned, still have a couple of drive-ins that are available within driving distance to us although we have not been in a couple of years. We used to have both HBO and Cinemax (extra pay on our plan) but gave them up as they are expensive and seem to rerun and rerun until you want to scream.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post

For the most part, my husband and I watch the classic movie channels
Same here; I love the old movies. I like hearing Robert Osborne's discussion of the movies before and afterwards, too. TCM is now the only old movie channel we get that is commercial free. AMC used to be, but no longer.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Just finished watching Eclipse. They sure are dragging this saga out! It's almost to the point it is boring. Is the girl ever going to be a Vampire or what? Don't tell me. I'll wait on the next installment of the series.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Our theaters are not that crowded in the off season for matinees and it actually makes for an enjoyable experience most times. Would I go during Thanksgiving or Christmas time?...No.
I take this back after last Tuesday! The mall started advertising "Stimulus Tuesdays" on the LED Marquee. It was packed with Senior Citizens lined up out the theater doors and 100 or so foot down the mall waiting to get in.

There was no way I was going to get in in time to see True Grit and go through the outrageous concession line. I walked around and waited for the line to dwindle down. Ended up seeing "The Dilemma" which was pretty decent.

I am going to go down during lunch time tomorrow and pre-purchase my tickets for True Grit so I don't have to wait in the ticket line on Tuesday.

Next up for Netflix in the mail is "the social network".
Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-mattox View Post
Sandy, I love your comment about looking at your watch to see how much longer you have to sit there; when I do that and we're only 20 minutes in, I know it's going to be a long afternoon.
Rick, I saw a movie yesterday and didn't even think to look at my watch. It's "The King's Speech" and it was excellent. At 111 minutes, I was sure going in I was going to get bored. Not even for a second. In fact, when I got home, I looked up all the figures portrayed in the movie, refreshed my memory about some and learned a lot about many others. I highly recommend the movie.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Thank you for the recommendation, Sandy; I've heard nothing but great things about this movie and I think Colin Firth is an amazing actor.

Tags
movies, valor