Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM

Well, I got the True Grit tickets for tomorrow. Not a single person in line! Now tomorrow the line will be a mile long for $1 day! I can breeze right by it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Rick, I saw a movie yesterday and didn't even think to look at my watch. It's "The King's Speech" and it was excellent. At 111 minutes, I was sure going in I was going to get bored. Not even for a second. In fact, when I got home, I looked up all the figures portrayed in the movie, refreshed my memory about some and learned a lot about many others. I highly recommend the movie.
Sandy, I have also heard very good things about "The King's Speech". I have it planned for next week.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM

Colin Firth just won the Screen Actors Guild award yesterday. He did an amazing job in the movie.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I haven't yet seen the film ( The Kings Speech ) but the reviews certainly seem very good.
I've heard that not everything in the film is true....there are some things in the film that just didn't happen or are invented.
Will try to see the film soon to see the "outstanding acting" by Colin Firth.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:01 PM

True Grit was good don't get me wrong. After all the hype it was a bit of a let down in some ways. It was half way through the movie before I figured out that was Matt Damon. Jeff Bridges did do an amazing job with his character, not sure it is Oscar worthy though. The one line he had about giving someone a proper burial was funny. They should get themselves kilt in the summer. Now why is a church hymn stuck in my head?

Next up for "Stimulus Tuesday" is The Kings Speech. I should have The Social Network in the mail tomorrow. Not sure when I'll have time to watch it.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM

The King's Speech was on tap for today. Let me start by saying this was the absolutely best movie I have seen since I started going again. Colin Firth's performance is truly Oscar worthy. The movie gripped me from the get go and never let go. Like Sandy mentioned as well, I have spent this afternoon looking up some of the characters from the movie. I see now why the movie has 12 Academy Award nominations. I don't recall another movie I've went to in recent memory where the audience applauded at the end.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:38 PM

We saw "Unknown" today. We loved it. Was sorry to see everyone die at the end, but it was a good movie.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 PM

Thanks a lot Gary. I was planning on seeing Unknown this Tuesday.

I've really taken a liking to going to the movies again and look forward to it every week. We have a huge population of senior citizen retirees here and Stimulus Tuesdays has caught on with them as the thing to do. I love being around them. I can do without the long lines every Tuesday, but have nipped that by getting tickets a day early.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Thanks a lot Gary. I was planning on seeing Unknown this Tuesday.

I've really taken a liking to going to the movies again and look forward to it every week. We have a huge population of senior citizen retirees here and Stimulus Tuesdays has caught on with them as the thing to do. I love being around them. I can do without the long lines every Tuesday, but have nipped that by getting tickets a day early.
Well did you go? Wasn't it sad to see everyone die at the end?

We might go see "The Eagle" tomorrow. Need to get a c-spine epidural first. Depends on how long that takes.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjoslin View Post
Well did you go? Wasn't it sad to see everyone die at the end?

We might go see "The Eagle" tomorrow. Need to get a c-spine epidural first. Depends on how long that takes.
No didn't get to go. Received an unexpected Condo showing request. Spent several hours getting it ready to show...yada yada yada.

Hope the c-spine epidural goes alright. That doesn't sound too pleasant.

I'll catch it next Tuesday hopefully. My tickets had today's date on them though, so I called Cinemark and they said it was okay.

Saw "Just go with it" last Tuesday it was pretty funny. I won't say how it ends.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Rick, I saw a movie yesterday and didn't even think to look at my watch. It's "The King's Speech" and it was excellent. At 111 minutes, I was sure going in I was going to get bored. Not even for a second. In fact, when I got home, I looked up all the figures portrayed in the movie, refreshed my memory about some and learned a lot about many others. I highly recommend the movie.
And the winner is...Colin Firth for Best Actor in a Leading Role. The King's Speech for Best Movie! Well deserved IMHO. I was starting to think that the The Social Network might be a contender for the best movie award.

Mark Wahlberg also did an amazing job in The Fighter and could have been a contender (pun intended) for Best Actor. He has certainly came in to his own as a fine actor. His co-stars Christian Bale and Amy Adams both won for Actor and Actress in a Supporting Role for The Fighter. I can highly recommend the movie.

Have to say I enjoyed the Oscars this year more than any recently. Most likely because I had seen the movies. Several of them on the Big Screen. The hosting was a little lacking. I think they should bring back Billy Crystal.

Hope to see you at the movies or on a cruise ship soon.

Tags
movies, valor