Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 AM

Default Movies
I've had Tuesdays off the last two months or so and have had the opportunity to go to the movies for a change. I go on Tuesdays because it is $1 popcorn and drink day.

The Fighter was one of the best movies I have seen in a long while.

I saw Little Fockers last Tuesday and thought it was hilarious.

Next up is True Grit.

Seen any movies lately and what did you think of them?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 AM

True Grit was really good. I think you would like it. It different enough from the John Wayne version to stand as its own movie. I have not seen the fighter yet.. I'm not big on boxing movies... But I have been to busy lately to drag myself out to a movie. Most of the time I just do a NetFlix and not bother going out...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
We only go to the "Cheap Movies" - I refuse to spend $10 for the movies. The last good movie we was the "Get Low" with Robert Duvall and Bill Murray. "The Wrestler" with Micheky Roarke was exceptionally well done also - we liked it so much better than "Crazy Heart" - which was good, just not gooder... The theaters here have taken to offering an Xtra small popcorn for $3.75 - a refillable bucket for $6.25. If there are two people doing popcorn - it's cheaper to get the bucket, even if you don't refill it (or if you're like me, I've had a tendency to spill the bucket lately, so I at least get to get more to eat....) We tend to do the movies in the hot weather around these parts - we'll use their A/C.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:01 PM
The last movie we saw at a theater was "Blind Side", and we loved it; but that tells you how often we go to a theater, especially with matinee and senior prices nearing $8.00. We've taken to buying them used . . . .previously viewed, excuse me . . . .at Blockbuster when they are 4 or 5 for $20. They are guaranteed, and while we don't love every one we buy, it's better than spending $16+ to see a dud. And we make better popcorn anyway.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Administrator

One thing I do not do often is go to a movie theater. I hate it. I hate the prices, the seating, pretty much everything about it. The last movie we saw at a theater was the final Star Wars movie, which was in 2005. And that was at an drive-in theater we had locally, which I think is now closed.

I prefer waiting till I can get them on Directv and I can watch at home.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
We don't watch enough TV or sports to bother with cable or satellite; we can get the networks and PBS with rabbit ears. But we have a HDTV and a good surround sound system and have fun building a DVD library. . . .at less than the price of a theater ticket each.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:31 AM

I've been going to the matinees which are way cheaper than at night. It is $6.50 or $5.50 for the first showing. On Tuesdays small drinks and small popcorn are $1. I couldn't afford to go often on any other day when small drinks and popcorn are like $5 each.

Prior to the last few months I hadn't been to the movies in 6 years. This cold weather has done me in, and I am tired of being couped up in the office or home in the condo.

Our theater sells the refillable bucket that Susan mentioned for $15 then $2.50 for refills. They also have a rewards card program where you get free stuff every so often. They spent several million re-doing the cineplex with stadium seating and high tech sound. It is pretty awesome.

The movie "Blind Side" that Rick mentioned is an exceptional movie. I saw it on HBO last year twice. HBO is included with the cable package the HOA has set up. I would never voluntarily pay extra for it.

The new Blu-Ray/Netflix via the internet set up is pretty nice. Only thing a lot of the movies that Netflix has are not "instant play". The ones that are work amazingly well. Just load them on your instant queue and voila they show up on the Blu-Ray.

For example they don't have the Twilight series via instant play, so I've been watching them one at a time via the mail. I got Eclipse today so may watch it tonight. You won't hear me talking about movies very often when the season starts as I am always busy. I even take on extra jobs. If they need a condo cleaned in a hurry I'll be the first one to volunteer. I have to make the bread while the oven is hot to pay for my cruises.

I would've never guessed I would like the Twilight series. The books are supposed to be better I hear.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM

I don't like going to the movies, either, and don't do it often. I find I get bored easily and almost always end up looking at my watch to see how much longer I have to sit there. If we see a trailer that looks interesting or if my husband reads reviews that make him interested in a movie (I hate reading movie reviews, too), we'll put it on Netflix and we don't care if we have to wait a couple of months to receive it. In fact, we just switched our Netlifx plan down to the one-disk-at-a-time plan, as we don't watch them a lot at home, either.

The last movie we saw in the movies was just recently, and it was "Tangled" in 3-D. That's one thing I can't do at home, with no 3-D television. In fact, our television is 25 years old, we don't have DVR but just a video tape recorder and DVD player attached to it. (Shrug) Just not that interested, I guess.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 AM

I have the Netflix $9.99 plan that allows for unlimited "instant play" on either your computer or via a device (Blu-Ray) to your TV. It also gives me one out at a time via mail. I've always loved movies. Just don't get to watch very often.

Jim, The Fighter was more about social situations than boxing. I bet you would like it. True Grit it is for next Tuesday.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Sandy, I love your comment about looking at your watch to see how much longer you have to sit there; when I do that and we're only 20 minutes in, I know it's going to be a long afternoon.

Tags
movies, valor