Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Default Gps
I know most of you have a GPS in your vehicle. I recently bought one on sale at Christmas. It was a Garmin Nuvi. I found out why it was on sale, they discontinued the model. Oh well, you can still use it.

We tried it out this weekend on our way to Birmingham for the IRL races. I made it really mad. We usually go through Moulton and down to I65 on 157 instead of going through Decatur. Much less traffic and a whole lot less lights. It kept trying to get me to turn to get on Hwy 24 and head to Decatur. I think it recalculated 10 times before I got to Moulton. It still wanted me to get on Hwy 24 and turn left on 157, when you can just continue on CR461 to 157. It got mad at me again. I will say this for the dang thing, it does know most of our little county roads in Alabama.

I'm going to try to update the maps this weekend. According to Garmin's website you can do it once for free, then you have to pay.

Has anyone made their GPS so mad it quit working?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny3333 View Post
I know most of you have a GPS in your vehicle. I recently bought one on sale at Christmas. It was a Garmin Nuvi. I found out why it was on sale, they discontinued the model. Oh well, you can still use it.

We tried it out this weekend on our way to Birmingham for the IRL races. I made it really mad. We usually go through Moulton and down to I65 on 157 instead of going through Decatur. Much less traffic and a whole lot less lights. It kept trying to get me to turn to get on Hwy 24 and head to Decatur. I think it recalculated 10 times before I got to Moulton. It still wanted me to get on Hwy 24 and turn left on 157, when you can just continue on CR461 to 157. It got mad at me again. I will say this for the dang thing, it does know most of our little county roads in Alabama.

I'm going to try to update the maps this weekend. According to Garmin's website you can do it once for free, then you have to pay.

Has anyone made their GPS so mad it quit working?
We always make ours mad! I am amazed they can get you from point a to point b.
A word of caution, they are not always correct. We get a number of cars using our road to get to Yosemite. The road will get you there, it is shorter, but you had better have a 4 wheel high clearance truck, or you will not make it. GPS units try to use many of the old roads around here.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM

I have a Garmin Nuvi 260. Penny, probably similar to yours, it's not perfect, but does help. I'm in NJ, and to make things confusing, there are two roadways for the NJ Turnpike between interchanges 8A and 14, marked as "Cars, Trucks, and Buses" and "Cars Only." I always go "Cars Only" but the GPS tries to take me onto the "Truck Lanes" as they're called back here. If and when it realizes I'm in the car lanes, it will recalculate.

I'm always hesitant to take the way they say to go to Atlantic City, as I don't know the roads and how crowded they may be. I always go the freeway route, which is longer in mileage, but fewer lights. Last time down there I had my GPS, and as I was driving down 295, it suddenly knocked off 10 minutes of travel time because of the way I was going. There is a way that you can program it for the "Fastest Route" as opposed to the "Shortest Route."
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 PM

I find my Droid X free navigation is better than my Garmin--and it's free! Don't you just hate it when people say those kind of things?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:28 AM

Wink
I received a Garmin Nuvi 1300LMT for Christmas this past year and have enjoyed it. The first time I used it, I was headed to my Daughters home approx 20 miles away to attend my Grandsons' basketball game and programmed in the schools address. I do know the way but wanted to see how the Garmin worked so figured it would be a great time to do so. Lo and behold, it wanted me to take a different route several times and since it was getting dark, I decided to stay on the route I was used to. I never did try it at a later time. I know that they will do the shortest or best routes..Since I'm a male and don't like to ask directions, my wife thought it was a great gift for me.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 AM

Peter, I'm like you when it comes to familiar routes. The way I go to Atlantic City, I go the way I know, and not the way the GPS sends me. What's odd though, if it was thinking the most direct route, as I was driving and was going the way I know, the GPS recalculated, and after recalculating, knocked 10-15 minutes off the estimated arrival time. I guess that goes to show you it was thinking the shortest route (mileage), and not necessarily the fastest route. My theory is that in taking the way I go, it's all freeway, so I can avoid the lights.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 PM

What does it do when you stop at a hotel? Does it pick up where it left off or recalculate?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:47 PM

It should just pick up where you left off. If you slide the power key off (to turn it off after you stop at the hotel), then turn it back on the next morning, I think it should just pick up where you left off, and continue to get to where you're trying to go.

If you mean trying to find a hotel along your route, then you can just go into the points of interest menu, and down on the bottom, where it states "Near," select that, and on the menu that comes up, select the option that says something like "along my route." Once you find a hotel, you can set it as a via point, meaning stop there, then continue to your destination, as opposed to just setting the hotel as the final destination.

However, if you find the GPS completely reset itself when you turn it on the next morning, after you select "Where to," one of the options should be "Recently found." If you hit that, it will come up with the locations you've recently found using the GPS.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks MCPayne. I usually stop at the same hotels on the way to Ft. Lauderdale, so was just curious. However, if we get to go to the F1 races in Austin, it will be a new route. Then I guess I will have to listen to the GPS
Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM

You can program it to go to the races, then to your next stop.

Tags
atlantic, city, enchantment, gps, seas