Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Question Is Mexico safe?
I love Mexico, but I have been reading and viewing on tv about croooked cops in Mexico, and their abuse of American tourists. Do you believe the Mexican ports of call are still safe?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:19 AM

Generally speaking; yes. Do isolated incidents happen? Yes. Thousands go to Cancun and Riviera Maya monthly and return without incident. Most of the major resort areas need our tourism dollars. The ships will pull out of a port if they feel it is getting unsafe or passengers are being too hassled. Some have pulled out of Mazatlan recently. As always, one should use common sense. Stay in the public areas and don't draw attention to yourself. Be aware of your surroundings. Know the local laws.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:34 PM
4 folks murdered in Acapulco recently. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Is Mexico safe? I think at the cruise ports and ship excursions are about as safe as they can make them, that being said, money is still the bottom line. I would do a cruise to mexico but stay close to the port. I dont think Mexico is a place I would visit on my own.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Subject: State Department Issues New Travel Warning For Mexico

BLUF: State Department issues new travel warning for Mexico on Friday. This concurs with this weekend assessment regarding Mexico's internal security outlook.
Impact: US employees and American citizens traveling to or living in Mexico should remain more vigilant amidst threat of increasing violence from drug gangs
Vr K9

April 22, 2011

The warning was issued Friday morning and warns American citizens about the latest trends in drug cartel violence south of the border.
The State Department reports that crime and drug cartel violence is not generally seen in tourist destinations and resorts but nonetheless urges caution.
There are specific warnings and security updates for several states across Mexico.

The State Department is asking Americans to defer non-essential travel to the entire State of Tamaulipas due to drug cartel roadblocks or blockades.
State Department officials report that the worst blockades are in and around Nuevo Laredo.

Officials issued a specific warning against going to Nuevo Laredo's "Boys Town" due to violent crime there.

Also on the list is Federal Highway 2 between Ciudad Acuņa and Reynosa.

Travel is restricted for American federal government employees between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey.

The warning comes out one day after the Tamaulipas Attorney General's Office (PGJE) confirms 177 bodies have been found in 36 narco graves in the San Fernando area.
The State Department specifically named highways in and around San Fernando and Tampico due to carjackings there.
Earlier this month, the U.S. Consulate in Matamoros had issued a warning about passenger bus travel in Tamaulipas reporting that passengers are being kidnapped and killed.

Citing official figures, the advisory said over 15,000 drugs-related killings were reported in Mexico last year and this marked almost a two-third rise compared with those in 2009. In recent years the number of US nationals killed in Mexico has more than tripled with 111 lives lost in 2010, up from 35 recorded in 2007.

End
Old 04-25-2011, 02:41 PM
"Officials issued a specific warning against going to Nuevo Laredo's "Boys Town" due to violent crime there."

Do cruise ships still go there? :}
Old 04-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Yes MEXICO is very safe!!! We just arrive back from a 7 day cruise and we love Mexico. We would go back tomorrow. The people are very friendly and helpful. One port my wife and I walk for 7 hours up and down the back streets. All of our family and friends go to Mexico every year for vacation and no one has any bad thing to say about Mexico. Our point is that every port or city has issues and bad people, even in Toronto. You just have to be aware of the people around you and make sure you do not wear high price jewery or look like you have money. Our cruise they cancel one port of call and we were very upset about that. The local we talk to thank us for coming. We fine more issues in Canada and US.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry, but all the precautions in the world are not going to help you if you get caught in the cross-fire of a random drug gang execution--and this has happened in tourist areas.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM

I just drove thru some cities in the USA that I did not feel safe in.

About six month ago just down the road from us they spend 2 or 3 days blowing up drugs, and dangerous chemicals. They found they in a "drug house". They were just too dangerous to move so they blew them up in place.

Are we really safe anywhere?

In 1969 I became convinced that your days are truly numbered. When it is your time it is your time.

I would cruise Mexico again and may in October.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM
And so will I, Gary; I've been traveling in Mexico since 1956 when my folks took me to Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta for the first time. It breaks my heart that Mazatlan is one of the ports that is being avoided by the cruiselines right now--but I trust their judgment.

Tags
2011, cancel, canceled, cruise, cruises, cruising, dangerous, incident, latest, maya, mexican, mexico, ports, riviera, safe, ships