Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Default Best Film ?
What film will win "the Oscar" for Best Film ?
Will it be Les Miserables, Lincoln, Skyfall or maybe something else ?
Some people seem to like Django Unchained
Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Administrator

I haven't seen any of them. Just not into going to the movies at the poor excuses for theaters we have around here.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Administrator

I saw just one of the movies that was nominated for Best Picture. (Actually, I saw only two movies all year.) That movie was Life of Pi and it was phenomenal. I was dismayed when I learned that there were no nominees in the acting categories, so I'm hoping it pulls in a few of the eleven or so awards for which it's nominated.

Still want to see Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, and Argo -- just have to find the time. No interest in seeing Les Miserables. I think I'm the only person on the planet who didn't enjoy the Broadway performance.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Argo won best picture
Life of Pi won 4 oscars ( including visual effects & best director )
I was surprised to read the comment by dave about the poor quality of cinimas in his area.
I always thought that in the usa that film centres would be comfortable and up to date
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM

I'm like Dave, I have about $75 in gift cards for movies that are over a year old.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Jack, for most of the U.S. the movie theaters are cheaply built concrete block buildings that they stuff with 8, 10, perhaps 12 small viewing rooms with poor seats. In the winter you need to keep your coat on or you'll freeze. An overpriced concession counter and a couple of dirty restrooms top things off. The big cities still have some of the great old theaters still in use. I wish we did.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM

The only movie I saw that was up for Best Picture was "Les Mis," or "Les Miserables." Lisa, you aren't the only one that didn't like / has no interest in seeing the Broadway show. A friend of mine saw the movie, and thought it was just okay, and some of her friends thought the same way as well. I was just the opposite, along with another friend of mine. That was one of my family's favorite shows when it was on Broadway, and supposedly, they're planning a revival for 2014, now that they made a movie of it.

After my friend and I saw the movie, she was sorry she never saw the Broadway version, but we did find the Broadway tour close to us at a price we could afford, so we did that.

Dave, I guess it depends on where you are on how the movie theatres are. Yes, they are overpriced. I must be in the market (Central NJ, New York) where the theatres aren't that bad. The seats are cloth seats, stadium seating, and restrooms are surprisingly not bad, considering. Even still, there's not much out right now that I want to see. My friend and I try to wait a couple weeks so I can use a "Super Saver" pass that I buy through AAA.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Being Seniors We avail Ourselves of Matinee rates and Senior Rates ranging from $5 to $7.50 here in CT. The Theatres are in good shape but the price of munchies can be the killer!! We did see ARGO in Florida between cruises (We cruised all month in Feb.....Multiple ships....multiple cruiselines) for $7/pp (Seniors) $6 for a huge bucket of popcorn and 32oz soda for $2......in some places movies can still be seen at affordable prices!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Administrator

We have a beautiful new multiplex near us -- it's spotless, has very comfortable seats that recline without disturbing the person behind you, and has fantastic sound quality. The regular ticket price is (gasp!) $12, but the first couple of showings of the day, generally before noon, are only $6. I don't go to the movies often, so I make sure it's a good one when I do.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Growing up near Hudson, NY, we had a grand old theater built in the 1930s. Had a balcony and loge seats, plus the main seating. I found a photo of it, apparently from that period given the car you can partially see.