Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Smile Snow
Well, we in the NE have just caught up to most of the Mid West, and other States that have seen more than their share of wild weather before it is officially winter. Lots of fluffy white stuff on the ground this morning, just in time for the upcoming school breaks to ski and use the snowmobiles. "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" !

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-15-2013, 03:28 PM
For Us the arrival of the Snow Season means that Our Wave Season is underway. When it gets wintery in the NE We book aboard a cruise ship for a warm adventure!! Usually We squeeze in several cruises between November through March!! We cannot bring the warmth of the Sun to NE but We certainly can head out to Sunnier Climes!!! In the NE we need not fly South...We can sail out of NYC area....plenty of great options are available!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 AM

Whjat is it like sailing out of NY in the winter and which lines do this. We are heading south this winter for a little over a month as we did last year but will cruise the following year after a lack of 2 years which is a looooong time for us. Thanks billybuzzy.

Peterl

Old 12-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Peter...Sailing out of NYC we have Carnival and NCL year round and Princess sailing in the Spring/Summer from Red Hook in Brooklyn. Holland America also sails out of NYC on a less than frequent basis. Just across the river, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity sail out of Port Liberty (Bayonne) on a year round basis. Boston only offers NCL Spring through Fall!

We have the best choices for cruise destinations out of NYC. The Carnival Splendor has a sliding dome over the Lido pool making the Lido (Beach) deck, useable in any weather.... a big plus for Winter cruising out of NYC!

Hope this helps!!!

Bon Voyage,
BillyBuzzy
Old 12-18-2013, 04:21 AM
We also love to cruise out of NYC and Cape Liberty, NJ. It is always a plus for me to skip the airport. I love leaving out of Baltimore but it is a tad limited with just 1 RCCL & Carnival Ship. That will soon be down to just RCCL. We are hoping they bring in another ship...Celebrity would be nice !!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Perhaps Carnival is pulling out of NYC too!! I just had two B2B Carnival Splendor cruises scheduled for Jan 2015 cancelled by Carnival.....She apparently is being repositioned to Miami!!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 12-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Oh I am so sorry Billybuzzy, I know how excited you were too. However do not get upset there are more fish in the sea. I have a felling you will find a B2B replacement very soon! So just keep on looking and keep on cruising !! I am still looking to fill in an April one and a July one. We have been serious about finding the perfect River Cruise to do a Christmas Market in Dec and I really like the job that AmaWaterways does. It is fun researching too. Good Luck with what you decide !!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 12-19-2013, 04:33 PM
janfred...We already have rebooked...not a B2B however!!! A short Carnival and a longer Celebrity cruise will take up the slack! Advantage:Less Expensive and some new ports on the agenda!! For Your thoughts.....while Colmar, France is not on any scheduled river cruise I can find...the Christmas markets are unbelievable and memorable.....worth a side trip anytime!! River Cruising is not Our "schtick"...too little time in those ports...too many in one day...We love to linger. As is, there is a planned Transatlantic in the semi-distant future.(Fall 2015)(Spring 2016) if Our fjord plans do not come to fruition!!

Your Galapagos will be a rare treat!! LAN from Quito offers great airfares and Celebrity will have an MD on board...most ships in the region are smaller , lacking in amenities, in some cases even hot water......MD's are few!!! Be prepared for 3rd World!!!

BillyBuzzy

Last edited by billybuzzy; 12-19-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 AM

Smile
Billybuzzy and Janfred, I think what I was looking to get an answer on is what are the seas likely (JAN-Apr) we can expect and for how long. I like days at sea but sailing out of the NE I would assume that we would lose the ability to sit around the pool and start the unwinding process (althought that starts when we walk aboard). We prefer RCI and wonder if any of their ships that sail out of there have the retractable covers of the pool ? Thanks for the info.

Peterl

Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi Peter
Perhaps Billybuzzy can speak more on this then I, but we have left out of NE a few times in Apr and also in Nov. It was cold on deck in Nov but not for long as we sailed South. I have sailed on only 1 RCI this past Nov and they had the indoor pool area as well as the outside area. I have done many Celebrity cruises but they were in Apr and Sept and I did not find it cold for myself for the first day at sea and they also had the indoor pool area. I like getting in the Hot tub outside when it is cold so I may not be the one to ask. I do this at home, I wait for the SNOW and then get in our Hot tub outside LOL Oh yes I wanted to also ask Billybuzzy which Celebrity ship and to where are you going! So happy you found something ASAP !!!

Cruise Countdown Tickers