Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 07:41 PM

Default Re-booking Car Rentals due to Lower Rates
Hi everyone.

I have a question to ask, and also some advice, if any of you have done something similar. I booked a car rental originally through an airline's site, as they have a relationship with a major car rental company. I'm a frequent flier of that airline, so that's the rate they negotiate. Anyway, I keep checking back periodically to check rates, and saw on two occasions now, that rates dropped significantly. Both times, I canceled the reservation I originally had, and re-booked at the lower rate.

I do look at my confirmation and rental agreement when I get the car, and always check my statement after the rental, to make sure I'm not charged multiple times, and also to make sure I'm charged the rate I booked.

I know some of you do similar things for cruises, but was wondering if you guys also come across this on occasion, and if so, do you re-book, depending on how much lower the rates went.

I also have to wonder if the car rental agency is wondering what's going on, since I've now canceled and re-booked twice. I should mention all the cancellations and re-bookings were with the same car rental company.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 05-16-2015, 06:01 AM
Administrator

I don't rent cars often, but when I do I have never checked the rates again. Probably a bad idea on my part. I never considered that they would fluctuate, at least not as often as you are encountering.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 AM

First, I don't think the rental car agency is wondering what's going on. They get thousands of bookings each day, and thousands of cancellations. Car rentals for business travel change constantly, and I doubt their computers have flagged your particular account for any unusual activity.

If you are the telephone type, it may be easier to call the company when you see a lower rate, and tell them. They can view your reservation and just change the rate code, keeping the same reservation number, cities, etc. They can also tell you if the lower rate means no airline miles get credited, or any other "conditions" of the lower rate that you may not be aware of. And ultimately, if they say you can't change to the lower rate, for example if the rate is for "new bookings only," you still have the option of canceling and rebooking on your own, as you have been doing.

Sandy
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Thanks Dave and Sandy. I didn't think they would fluctuate that much either. If anything, I would expect rates to go up as it got closer to the date, and not down.

Sandy, that did also cross my mind, to call the travel site where I booked it, to tell them that I saw a lower rate. I may do that in the future. Thanks again for your input.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)