Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 PM

I wonder how many people are watching the "Ant Races" right now?

The local station via Time Warner froze up at midnight for about 5 minutes. Other than that, it went off without a hitch. I still bet some folks in rural areas didn't get their converters though, even with the extension.

Dwayne
Old 06-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Administrator

I had a bit of a panic yesterday around 1pm when one local channel was dead - even though I have satellite TV. After a few minutes they came back on so I guess they chose the middle of the day to make the switch.

Then on the evening news the switch was their top story. They showed video of a phone bank of station personnel standing by to talk to people who were having problems.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 PM
The picture on the channels I can get is amazing; I just can't get all the channels. Now they are telling me I need a more powerful antenna--probably one on the roof. Is Uncle Sam going to get me a deal on this too? I just love it when the Govt. gets involved in private enterprise.

and we ain't seen nothin' yet!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
An elderly neighbor purchased two converter boxes last year. One crapped out in 6 months + two weeks; the second crapped out in one year. Guess what - they had 6 month warranties. When I called the company that made them, they told me she was out of luck. Warranty time had passed. So now, she has no television because she can't afford to buy converter boxes again and can't afford to buy a new television . . . It would have been nice if the whole experience was a little more "user friendly" ~
Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 PM

Here in Italy we too are experiencing the same digital TV switching.

Some of our 20 "states" (Italy is not yet really a federal republic) have switched: e.g. the whole Sardegna (Sardinia) Island can't watch analog TV station any longer.
Since June 16th Rome and part of Lazio can watch RAI 2 (a public TV station) and RETE 4 (a private one) only as a digital TV.
Of course there's someone that missed this date and TV stores are crowded, papers say.

My TV sets are all digital ready, and today (my area hasn't switched yet) we can watch many TV stations both as analog and digital. And some of them we can watch also as a satellite TV ... that's why we have countless remote controls. The older ones are all black, the others grey ...

Susanmaz,
about warranty ... the EU laws provided some years ago (2002, I think) a two year warranty on everything you buy "brand new".
And when I say everything I mean everything: from cars to toys, from cellphones to clothes.

If you buy something as a professional, however, then the warranty is shorter: only one year.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:56 AM

Fredo, that's a big help with the warranties. Somehow, it seems manufacturers know how long something will last and the day after the warranty expires, whatever you bought will quit working. Do you get to watch the F1 and MotoGP races on regular tv or is it pay for view, there?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Formula 1 qualifying sessions and races are free to watch, they're on "RAI UNO" or "RAI DUE" (both parts of the public broadcast); Moto GP q.s. and races are on "Italia Uno" (a private one) and they're free too.

There's no important sport event you have to pay to watch. No matches of the National Soccer Team (ehm ... "We are the (world) champions"), no Champions League matches.

Every year, though, you have to pay for public broadcasting (about 120 euros, that's about 170 USD). Nothing is requested by other companies, they send commercials.
Oh, but the public broadcast sends commercials too ...

"RAI" stands for Radio Audizioni Italiane, something like "Italian Radio Listenings", since it was established when we had only radio services (in the early 30's, named "EIAR").

The strongest private player is "Mediaset", a company owned by the family of mr. Silvio BERLUSCONI, Italy's Prime Minister. MEDIASET includes "Canale 5" (general TV), "Rete 4" (soaps, serials, love stories ... a womens' tv )and "Italia 1" (sports, music ... young generations' tv).

Mr. BERLUSCONI was involved in the seventies in the building business; as he planned "Milano 2", a new technological city a little out from Milan, he provided each house with cable connection from an internal tv studio.
That was the beginning of the private broadcasting in Italy.

And ... guess what ?
Mr. BERLUSCONI has a passion for entertaining even because in his early years (today he's 73) he performed as a crooner on cruise ships. He played guitar, his school mate Fedele CONFALONIERI (CEO of MEDIASET) played piano ...
Old 06-18-2009, 12:40 PM

So I now see where Mr. Berlusconi got his desire to flirt with the younger women, from cruising He's made the news over here.

That is fantastic that you don't have to pay to watch the great races. We have to pay for basic cable, then we have to buy a package that will allow us to get channels to view the races (SpeedTV). They only show 1 F1 race a year on regular tv, they never show qualifying unless you buy the SpeedTV package. Then they broadcast qualifying at horrible hours, like 2am. They never show the qualifying for MotoGP, even though we pay extra. Of course, in the US there aren't a lot of F1 or MotoGP fans. Probably, more MotoGP than F1, but I LOVE them both.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 PM

Regarding warranties on purchases, I do believe that many Credit cards offer a protection of twice the timing of the guarantee when purchased this way? Worth checking out if you purchase on "the card".

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
broadcasting, california, cruise, digital, gp, moto, public, tv