Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Thanks for you answer Dave.

We have a 17" laptop that works great for land vacations. On those size, weight, and space are not an issue. When we travel by sea or air that is a different story.
I have a Tamrac photo backback. It can carry all my camera gear, laptop, and my cpap. Problem is it reminds me of my days in the Corp!!. It will fit in an overhead on the plane, it is a very nice pack, but I just need to downsize.
Thinking a smaller pack and laptop might be in order.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Windows 7 is coming out in a few days. You might want to hold off and see how things go with it before committing.
Double Amen on that!

Jim, it was hilarious.

Dwayne
Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM

That was a good one, Jim, I didn't see it until now I haven't tried 7, but soon will. I really haven't had problems with Vista being unstable at all. It's fantastic with drivers, but it can be a pain in the rear about running an application or installing software. As long as you run everything as an administrator, you're fine.

There are some really nice Windows slim line machines. Toshiba, Gateway and Acer have them out. Macs are nice, but they're very proprietary and VERY expensive. Windows will have more compatible software.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Of course you have to own a copy of Windows, and it has to be the high end version (not Home Basic).
I think you're onto something there. The new laptop running Vista Premium has some quirks, nothing at all compared to the Home Basic version on my desktops.

Every time updates are installed on the new desktop running home basic Vista my wireless adapter is not recognized. I have to go in to device manager and do a Rollback for the driver. I want XP SP3 back, best OS I've ever had.

Does anyone know if Windows 7 will take all this Vista crap away when it is installed?

Dwayne
Old 10-18-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Every time updates are installed on the new desktop running home basic Vista my wireless adapter is not recognized. I have to go in to device manager and do a Rollback for the driver. I want XP SP3 back, best OS I've ever had.
I had Vista Premium on my desktop. I had problems with my monitor every time it updated. I finally turned off automatic update and did the myself.
I have been running Windows 7 on a Desktop that had Vista Premium. It when on clean. Fewer programs have trouble with Windows 7 than Vista.
My first installation was not a complete one. It when over the top of Vista and saved my old programs. I also did a clean installation, that one gets rid of everything and you have to re install your programs. It does run better that way. With that said, if you just reinstalled Vista and your programs things would run better also. It would clean up your system.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Since we are talking bugs... what do you use to keep your computer running without problems. I know Mac's have less problems, but I have not gone that route yet.
I have used about every virus protection program there is at one time or another. Last year after talking to a couple of computer geeks, (not my son he keeps saying get a Mac) I started using only free stuff.
I use
Malwarebytes, Advanced System Care, AVG-Free,Google Chrome for my browser, and CC Cleaner. All of this are free and they keep my computer going without all those bugs.
What do you do?

Self edit not sure why the URLs are not showing up as links... did something wrong.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 PM

I use CA Security. It comes included with Roadrunner. I wish I would have known Roadrunner also provides included back up storage and service a few weeks ago. I have it all set up now. I learned my lesson the hard way about being lax with backing up files. I have it set to do nightly backups now.

Dwayne
Old 10-18-2009, 08:51 PM

We use Malwarebytes for malware and it does work fine. Our internet provider is "telus". Virus, firewall protection and other features are included with our package. We have been using telus for a couple of years now, and so far so good.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Malwarebytes, Spybot S & D, and Adaware for spyware/malware/adware, McAfee for AV. I used to like Trend Micro for AV. Windows Live is supposed to be pretty decent (with Windows 7).
Old 10-20-2009, 12:35 AM

I can't wait to try out W7. I hope it kills these Vista bugs!

Dwayne

Closed Thread