Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 10:24 AM

I've always thought those pictures that have been email around the world with the mouse or snake inside of the computer were photoshopped. However, the other day a student brought in a computer that was having trouble booting up. When I started trouble shooting the problem, roaches ran out of the lap top en masse. Being the brave soul that I am, I immediately screamed and ran out of my office. After making a trip to the restroom, I gathered enough nerve to get a plastic bag I had brought my lunch in out of my desk drawer. I placed the computer into the bag and sealed it up. I called facilities and had them come and exterminate my office and surrounding areas.

One of my coworkers went and bought a mini fogger and we threw that in the bag and sealed it back up. We called the student and said we couldn't fix the computer. I will now believe the pictures I see of "things" inside of computers.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 AM

He must have installed Windows 7... apparently not as bug free as Microsoft claims
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-14-2009, 01:34 PM

oh come on!... NO ONE is going to make a comment?? I thought that was hilarious!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Administrator

But Jim, everyone knows Windows 7 hasn't been released yet.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:09 PM

Been using a Beta Window 7 for a few months. No bug free but better than Vista.

Dave how do you like your little laptop (Netbook). I am thinking about getting one.

Penny I can just see my wife if that happened to her.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
how do you like your little laptop (Netbook)
I don't use it much at home. It is "good enough" for basic things and works well. It has XP SP2, 1 GB of RAM, a 120 GB HD, and the Atom processor. I love the lack of weight and the keyboard is close enough to full size that it isn't a problem to use. The trackpad is quirky. Mine is a Dell Mini-10v.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 PM

We are thinking of buying a new lap top for trips in the motor home, (not cruises). What is the best option members have found? Not any brand rather an operating system. Is Apple the way to go in far as trouble free and not to having to worry about viruses? Most of the time we are on a wireless connection. Our home computer is on XP pro and I have an external hard drive can I use the hard drive to "copy" files from xp to an Apple?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator

I am a Macintosh fan although I do own a couple of Windows laptops. I prefer the Mac OS because of it's ease of use and reliability. Viruses are few, but don't be fooled - it is mostly because the Mac OS has such a small market share and thus isn't a big target for the vile pigs who design viruses.

Copying files from XP to Mac really depends on the file type. Things like MS Office files, photos, images, and other common files are no problem. However, Macs also allow a user to load Windows so you can move between each OS if you have something that only works in Windows or in Mac OS. The ability to run Windows is included in the Mac OS X Snow Leopard software. Of course you have to own a copy of Windows, and it has to be the high end version (not Home Basic).

Windows 7 is coming out in a few days. You might want to hold off and see how things go with it before committing.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM

Thanks Dave;
We do have lots of time here; we are retiring. Once the shop is sold and our "ducks are all in a very straight rows" we will plan things a little more. We may have to take in a few cruises in the meantime though; and we are looking forward to our Panama cruise next month. The computers we use now are now only tools for the business, we are hoping, within the next 6 months or so we can start to travel and rely on a lap top to make our travel plans a little easier.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
We do have lots of time here; we are retiring
I retired from my previous profession a couple years ago and now do it a few weeks each year as a consultant. Good money and none of the headaches. I can walk away when I've had enough.

I would consider a 17" laptop for the motor home. I think you'd be disappointed with a smaller screen for what, in essence, would be a desktop computer in your vacation home.

Closed Thread