Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM

I found these funny. However I am sure a few of us can remember when these were true
One here
And one here.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Wow, times have certainly changed. Me being in my early 30's would have a heart attack if I ever saw an add like this....I have enough trouble trying to get the hubby to do the dishes at night...lol
Old 02-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Ah yes, the days of cleaning the house while wearing pumps and pearls ala June Cleaver. I remember it. I remember my mother insisting that when we went to the bank she had to dress up a bit first. Same for going on the train to NYC.

One thing that is striking to me is the dress of public school teachers these days, at least around here. They wear casual clothes, sometimes so casual that they make me wonder if they think they are sitting around the house on a Saturday morning. Back in the day all the male teachers had to wear a suit or at least a sports coat and tie (except for the phys ed teachers), and the ladies wore similar attire. If a teacher back then showed up wearing blue jeans and a polo shirt they would have been reprimanded and sent home to change. I think it added a sense of respect and formality to the class room.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:29 PM

It might just be here, but we see females in their PJ's banking shopping ect....

Yes when I was in school teachers AND students had a dress code. All things in the past were not bad. IMHO

BTW my coach was in a suit most of the time.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:

One thing that is striking to me is the dress of public school teachers these days, at least around here. They wear casual clothes, sometimes so casual that they make me wonder if they think they are sitting around the house on a Saturday morning. Back in the day all the male teachers had to wear a suit or at least a sports coat and tie (except for the phys ed teachers), and the ladies wore similar attire. If a teacher back then showed up wearing blue jeans and a polo shirt they would have been reprimanded and sent home to change. I think it added a sense of respect and formality to the class room.
I totally agree, Dave. Even though I'm quite young, I'm quite conservative when it comes to dress codes. I believe it may have something to do with my years at sea, where the times are not changing as fast as on land

I'm often annoyed over how people dress, especially teenagers. What annoyes me more is that very few of them seem to be physically capable of standing up for a few minutes while waiting for the bus, train, subway etc - even if there are no benches around, they just have to sit/lay down on the asphalt.

When visiting a public office, going for a job interview, gathering with colleagues, job seminars etc, It's my opinion that it's normal to dress up a bit, but more and more I observe people showing up with jeans (not new ones either) t-shirts(!) and sneakers.

OMG! I'm sitting here complaining abouth the "youth of today".. does it mean I'm getting O L D?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator

We had a student dress code too. It did allow blue jeans but they had to be unfrayed, not too faded, and have no holes or tears. Collared shirts were required. Shorts could be worn in the spring but had to be no more than ~ 1 inch from the knee. I see kids wearing flip flops to school these days. That wouldn't have cut it back then. I always wore well-polished shoes and got a hair cut every two weeks. It was a matter of pride for me to look well-groomed and dress as well as I could within our family's meager budget. Too many people wander around looking like bums these days.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:06 PM

I will still open a door for someone, that is another thing that our youth do not do. Same with giving up your seat for a lady or someone who needs it.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 PM
I had someone show up for an interview last week wearing her 'dress' jeans with her midriff exposed, sporting a belly button ring.
And trust me, it was NOT a good look for her..or a good job for her.
Marsha

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 PM

I am going to take up for the teachers. They dress down if the school board lets them. they can NOT make that decision for themselves.
I have 2 daughter in laws that both have their masters in education. They work very very hard. The school board sets the dress code for the teachers. They are only allowed to wear jeans on school spirit days.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 PM

It reminds me of the "Leave it to Beaver" era too. I've seen pictures of when my mom and dad were dating and it looked very formal compared to today. I went to high school in the late 70's and the teachers wore a shirt and tie then too. They probably need to wear body armor now a days.

Marsha, I've seen similar things when I was in a position to hire people a few years back. It is beyond ridiculous.

Gary, I still open doors, and hold them for people too. The youth of today (a good percentage) are rude, obnoxious, and without a good upbringing in my opinion. It's pretty sad when you do see a young person that has manners and think of them as an exception instead of the norm. I better shut up before I get a "Time Out". One last thing though, it would be a hoot if they distributed the dating guide on a "Cougar" cruise.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
couger, cruses