Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Administrator

In another classic dog-eat-dog battle Joey Chestnut held off Takeru Kobayashi to take his 3rd straight Mustard Belt at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. A world record was set, with Chestnut downing 68 "HDB's" (hot dogs with buns) to the 64.5 by Kobayashi. No "reversals" were reported.

Beyond the obvious physical issues with competitive eating, the upper tier trenchermen make a good living. ESPN reported that Kobayashi made $150,000 last year.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Kobayashi made $150,000 last year.
Ah, but at what damage to his body?
Old 07-04-2009, 02:17 PM
It's hard to beat a Nathan's Hot Dog at the original Nathan's on Coney Island! I adore the place since first visiting and eating there in the early 50's!!Anybody remember Steeplechase Park?
At least the framework of the Great Parachute Jump still stands- I view it every voyage out of NYC - I'm not sure if it is still in operation!

After 3 Nathan's Hot Dogs - I'm out of the competition! Maybe someone needs to position a Nathan's on a cruise ship!!!! That's a yummy thought!! This is a serious case of Man bites Dog!!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 07-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Administrator

If the cruise lines are going to have branded restaurants aboard (like Johnny Rockets, Ben&Jerry's, etc.) I'd prefer their having a Nathan's over all of them. I am still waiting to see RCI put them on the Oasis class ships. What is more normal than to see a hot dog stand on the Boardwalk?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ah, but at what damage to his body?
I get a tinge of my gout just watching them eat all those hot dogs! I am good with maybe 3 if I am starving, but I'd be miserable afterwards. Two is my normal maximum, and really, I should try to stick with just one.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Anybody remember Steeplechase Park?
I remember being scared by the guy's smile and his teeth on the picture of the Steeplechase...
Old 07-04-2009, 04:11 PM
In the early 60's I found myself enjoyng a hot dog at Nathan's to find myself standing next to Phil Silver's, the actor. In the early 70's I found myself standing next to him at the Tale of the Pup in LA when it was still located on La Cienega Blvd. I reminded him of the Nathan's incident - he treated me to a Hot Dog lunch!!

Dave is right on with his idea that the Oasis and the upcoming Allure can use a Nathan's (or equivalent) on the Boardwalk!!!

By the way Sandy - I always thought the Smiley Face at Steeplechase was a caricature of George C. Tilyou (the owner) himself.

BillyBuzzy
Old 07-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
standing next to Phil Silvers
Good ol' Sgt. Bilko. Sounds like a nice guy.

My mother served a cheeseburger deluxe, fries, and coffee, to Paul Newman back in the late 1960's. I recall he tipped her well.

I love the flavor of Nathan's hot dogs. When they started selling them in supermarkets I was quite happy.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Good ol' Sgt. Bilko. Sounds like a nice guy.
He was an absolute delight to talk with, down to earth and naturally friendly! Needless to say he remains a personal favorite!

BillyBuzzy
Old 07-04-2009, 07:29 PM

I served a pizza once to Pauly Shore, not quite the same though.

I love Nathan's hot dogs. I usually can only eat two. I load those bad boys up with extra fixin's.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
battle, belt, mustard