Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Fredo, Toshiba's used to be top of the line, and they were proud of it, too. Very expensive. I'm glad you got everything working. I hope you don't have your XP machine on line very much with only SP2, SP3 plugged a lot of holes for spyware. Not enough, but more than SP2. Anyway, just have a good anti-spyware program and anti-virus program, and run them often. Cheers!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 AM

EXCELLENT advice, Dave. It's not if a hard drive will crash, it's just when.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 AM

Dave, backing up your HD is excellent advice. That's something I am very lax about. I'll have to check out an external or a Mozy account.

Fredo, The Toshiba Satellite was my first choice and I had already made my mind up on it. When I got to the store I was upsold the Compaq, it was supposed to have a faster processor. It also has a full keyboard with the number pad, which is a plus for me. I would have to re-train my fingers using the Toshiba.

Penny, you just scared the dickens out of me! Whew! I just checked and I have SP3. I thought I had my work computer set up to auto download the updates, then I choose when to install. I was afraid I missed it. Every time I turn the new Vista laptop on it has a bunch of updates to download.

How much is Norton if you want to keep it after the free trial? I have CA Security that comes included with Roadrunner. So I was going to put it on it. However, it works quirky and doesn't update properly on my Dell Vista desktop. It runs smooth as silk on the XP desktop.

Dwayne
Old 07-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

I'm not a fan of Norton. Once you get it installed you play hell getting rid of it if you decide not to renew with them. On my Dell machines I just have "Avast" anti-virus running. It is free and good.

I think I pay around $60 a year for Mozy - and there is no limit to how much I can store with them. It is the same with Carbonite. The initial upload can be annoying since it is starting from scratch and can take a long time (days or weeks), but once that is done then all it does it update any new or revised files each night.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Avast is good and so is AVG8.5, which are both free. We use McAfee at work, which is ok, but not free. Also, download either MalwareBytes or Spybot (the free versions) and keep them updated. Run them at least once a week. MalwareBytes and Spybot do have professional versions that you can purchase. I just make a donation once or twice a year. Adaware is pretty good too. MalwareBytes, Spybot, or Adaware are for malware/spyware, not anti-virus tools. Microsoft is supposedly coming out with a free anti-virus. They have windows defender built into the o/s now, which is suppose to be an anti-spyware/malware program. It is basically worthless. It runs every day on my computer, then I'll run Adaware, MalwareBytes or Spybot and will ALWAYS have something that one of them find that defender didn't. My favorite was TrendMicro, but they've gotten as bad as Norton when it comes to taking over your computer.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:21 PM

Thanks for all the info Dave and Penny. Norton drives me nuts with all the pop ups to allow this or that. Vista was telling me I didn't have a firewall turned on, come to find out I did. Norton decided to turn off the Vista firewall and use theirs. I will probably have to "play hell" getting this mess uninstalled.

Dave, does your new Dell Netbook have a RJ-11 modem jack? I was thinking it may be a great way of introducing my Mom to computers without too much complication. All she needs is something for email and to look up recipes. She doesn't know anything about computers and seems afraid to try.

Dwayne
Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 PM

Thank you all. It's very interesting reading from you all - as usual.

Penny, I use Malwarebytes and AVG 8.5 (the AVG since the company's early days ... I replaced Norton).

I learnt a lot of things, so when I'll change my Toshiba I won't fail.

'Cause I know I will.
We all upgraded, e.g., from MS-Dos ... though it seemed so difficult.

I had to convert everything from Dos to Windows.
My first PC was an Olivetti.
It was back in 1989 ...

I don't remember its RAM, but I sometimes recall with new coworkers the times my PC had an huge ... 20 mega Hard Disk

After all, they landed on the moon with computers smaller than that ...
Old 07-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Fredo, you brought back so many memories. Some not so fond
Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 AM

Fredo, you brought back many memories for me too.

This was my first computer. I think it was in '87 when I got it. I added a 20 MB drive in the left bay. I got tired of changing disks!

Computers have came a long way since those days. I remember well the big installation to go from DOS to Windows, I think it took me about 5 hours. My first modem was a 300 bps. Now one of my computers connects at 102 Mbps, and my work computer via the air connects at 54 Mbps. It is hard to believe sometimes.

Dwayne
Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Oh my gosh, Dwayne, we have one just like that. I've been trying to get my hubby to throw it away, but it has moved from Hawaii, to Colorado, and now to Alabama. One of these days, I'm going to chuck it.

Closed Thread