Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM

Since certain airlines have instigated a charge for checked luggage it very hard to find room in the overhead bins for all of the bags folks take on the plane. On the last two trips we were some of the last to board and had to leave our small tote outside of the cabin to be stored elsewhere on the plane. If all passenger only carried the correct size of carry-on there would not be much of a problem however some of the bags we observed been stuffed into the overheads were way too big and very long, others would just not fit as they too big all around. I am sure the airlines will have to enforce the size of carry-on bags to the allowable size, we take only a camera a document case and one small bag on the plane with our toiletries and a change of clothes, it is unnerving having the bag refused entry into the cabin because all the bins are full and hoping to see it again at our final destination with only a flimsy paper tag attached to it by staff at the last minute. The last time I was not prepared and left my car and house keys in the bag.

I know the airlines have to make a buck and the idea of charging is to limit the weight of baggage, however in the belly of the plane or overheads it is the same overall.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Same happened to me when I flew to FLL for the Oasis cruise. Because of computer problems my flight to ATL was late and I had to run to my connection. I was last in line for boarding. They started about 30 people in front of me and gate checked our carry-ons. Now, this is a common thing when flying on a regional jet and they load those bags last and then deliver them to us when we land at the gate. However, on my flight to FLL they loaded our carry ons into the cargo bay of the 757 and then it went to the carousel with all the regular luggage. I was not happy. First off I have a very nice leather carry on bag, and second they didn't tell me it would go to the baggage carousel so I didn't remove my important papers. I had the foresight to put my passport in my pants pocket. My netbook, cameras, cruise docs, and other important stuff could have easily been stolen. Thankfully it was there when I arrived in the carousel area.

And it does come down to the airlines not enforcing the rules. On any given flight over half the passengers seem to have at least two carry ons (and often they are larger than the template), when the rule is one carry on and one personal item. Sorry, but a personal item isn't another full-sized carry on.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

That's one of my major pet peeves about flying. I've frequently said that airlines should charge for carry-ons rather than for checked luggage -- this would reduce the carry-on problem drastically.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

I think that is a brilliant idea! Pay for carry-on luggage.

Delta never told me my carry-on would go to the carousel when they tagged my bag in ATL. So I get off the plane at FLL and stand around by the gate waiting for them to show up with the usual hand cart of excess carry-ons. Nothing happens for several minutes. I noticed a TSA agent eyeing me suspiciously so I went to the desk and asked. "Oh, they just put all those in with the regular checked luggage. It'll be down on the lower level at the baggage carousels." Visions of my $300 leather roller being carted off by someone passed through my mind as I raced down to the lower level. Let me tell you, I was hot, and not from exercise.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 AM

There's never that problem on Southwest airlines because of their two bags fly free policy. I've had my carry-on checked by a flight attendant a few time too. I don't know how I would have excepted them checking an expensive leather carry-on...it's bad enough worrying about the contents. Another problem is everyone standing up at the same time trying to pull out their stuffed bags. It's even worse when you have connecting flights. They could easily curve the problem by allowing one free checked bag and charging more for the second.

Sonny
Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 AM

Dave, on several occassions we have each had our carryons taken at the door to the plane and it was returned to the same area when we got off. I too, would be HOT to see that sent to the carousel as we pack things in that piece that we want to keep an eye on. Not a comfortable feeling.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

I learned a lesson from it. Now I'll have to bring a small "personal item" sized camera bag to put the expensive/important stuff in. Luckily I have an old camera bag which will hold the netbook and the SLR with a lens, and I can stuff cruise docs in there. It fits under any airplane seat. But it is a hassle to have to carry two items just in case I get screwed out of my rightful overhead space.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:39 PM

Last few times we have flown it's been on Southwest. Sony is right their policy of two bag flight free helps alot. They still need to enforce the carry on rule.
On a small jet out of Fresno they took our carry on and put it in the cargo area of the plane. We were handed the luggage as we departed. If my stuff would have been sent else where, I would not have been an easy person to deal with.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Administrator

In my case I had about $3000 worth of cameras, lenses, and computers in my carry-on bag. I was spun up for the whole flight.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM

My main carry on is my Backpack camera case. In addition to my Dslr, lens and camera gear it also carries my laptop, meds and c-pap. Had I not got it back, I would have been very mad.
We boarded the plane on the run way, so we saw the case being put in the cargo hole, Since I was 3 off I also saw it being unloaded. Did I like turning it over no.

Closed Thread