Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 09:22 AM

Posting such an off topic thread might get me banned, but here goes
Well we did it, we planned our summer vacation. The kids want to see Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons. Kelly, our son who has 3 kids wants to camp. We are not really into that at this stage of our life. Our other kids will join us for a few days but not really into camping either. We rented a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo in Driggs Id. As we are a little ways from both parks, but still within an easy drive the price is not bad, $99.00 a day, and the views are suppose to be great.
That's not a bad price, it will hold the entire gang. I am sure we will have plenty of quality time. Throw a few steaks on the grill, but we will do all the cooking, cleaning and housekeeping. When the smoke clears I am sure we will spend more than we would for a week's cruise. I am sure we will have a great time, but cruising is in my blood! Normally we would have another cruise booked by now. We usually take a cruise in late October. This year we are having family visit, I know we will spend more on this than a cruise!! It has been a long time since some of us have seen each other. Yosemite should have some fall color, weather should be nice, it will be a good reunion.
Hopefully we can get a Cruise booked for mid to lat Febraury. We enjoy cruising that time of year. The Carnival Spirit to Mexico sounds about right.
Do you have any non cruise vacation plans?

Old 09-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Gary,
Quality Family Time $$$ Priceless!

As much as I am a Cruise Fanatic, 71 and counting four more on the books; There are just times a cruise can't cover what a land vacation can. In March I did a WWII land vacation that followed the path of the 101st Airborne. I saw so many things and was able to spend more time seeing these historical places. My 12-day Kenya African Safari is another one that can't be matched. Then there's my four times to Ireland and I still haven't seen it all.

As much as you love photography Yellowstone and Tetons will be amazing photo shots. Especially if you see some bison, elk, and other animals. The memories you make with your family will all be worth doing a land vacation.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:55 AM

I, too, come off the water onto dry land on occasion.

In June, we went to Peru for a week, and it was amazing. Toured Lima, Cuzco, spent time in the Sacred Valley, and of course, did Machu Picchu.

Our summer vacation is in the mountains each year, too, and now I really miss the ocean.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Sandy,
Hopefully, you will see the ocean soon.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Gary, I thoroughly understand land vacations. Sounds like you'll get some good quality time with your family, and see some amazing sites! Can't wait to see your pictures. A vacation condo rental is an excellent choice to keep the cost as low as possible. I may be biased about that though. I have a week to use at a Marriott Vacation Club before July. It's been so long since I've done a land based, I can't decide where to go. Hope you and family have a great time.

Dwayne
Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Gary, that sounds like a wonderful vacation!

We don't have any non-cruise vacation plans in the works, although there are some locations that are under serious consideration. We did take one just last month -- a visit to San Francisco. I'd been there several times on business, so it was a nice change of pace.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator

I'd like to head off to the Rocky Mountain states and just drift around in a car for a couple weeks.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Hopefully, you will see the ocean soon.
CF, I don't think I can stay away from a ship much longer...
Old 09-20-2009, 06:10 AM
I love cruising, but I would like to do a week land based vacation to Costa Rica hopefully next year.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 AM

Haven't planned a cruise for next spring at this time but have been tossing around a cruise or a weeks visit to the islands (which one to choose) as we haven't done this in a few years.
Spring, summers, and early fall are usually reserved for our little lake get-a-way that we have enjoyed for so many years.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
senior, vacations