Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Lido Deck (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/lido-deck/)
-   -   Grocery bags (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/lido-deck/583-grocery-bags.html)

gdjoslin 04-19-2009 07:37 AM

How many of you have grocery bags laws? California is trying to pass a add a 25 cent fee to each plastic or paper bag.
Currently there are lots of people, while a few anyway who bring their own bags. The other day i saw a couple with a bag that looked like it should be in the trash, it was filthy. Seems like allowing used bags like those around the food items would not be a good idea. Most people will wash their bags, but some will not.
I am slow to change, but do not understand why the fee is going to be added to both Paper and plastic. I think there is some health concerns here.

gdjoslin 04-19-2009 07:37 AM

How many of you have grocery bags laws? California is trying to pass a add a 25 cent fee to each plastic or paper bag.
Currently there are lots of people, while a few anyway who bring their own bags. The other day i saw a couple with a bag that looked like it should be in the trash, it was filthy. Seems like allowing used bags like those around the food items would not be a good idea. Most people will wash their bags, but some will not.
I am slow to change, but do not understand why the fee is going to be added to both Paper and plastic. I think there is some health concerns here.

macmom111 04-19-2009 07:39 AM

we dont have it where we live but if it goes over in Cali, you can be assured it will move over to the east coast. We are being taxed and charged to death...give me a break

f-mattox 04-19-2009 01:14 PM

I like what some stores are doing--giving you a credit if you bring your own bags; but charging 25 cents a bag is outrageous, and brings California one step closer to a tax revolt. THROW THE BUMS OUT--ALL OF 'EM!!!

Dwayne 04-19-2009 03:38 PM

We don't have it, and I doubt it would ever fly here. It seems outrageous to me too to charge people 25 cents a bag, when many can barely afford the groceries to put in them. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...n_rolleyes.gif

They recycle the bags at our store. They have a bin in the entrance. I've noticed quite a few people using the store's re-usable bags they sell.

Dwayne

drlivingston 04-20-2009 07:37 AM

Good grief... Have we come to this?? I always get plastic bags. Why? Because they are easier to hold and moisture will not compromise their integrity. I also get them to double bag my milk and sometimes triple bag my wine. I sometimes shop at a supermarket that lets you rent a shopping cart for a quarter. The trick is you have to unload your groceries in your vehicle and bring the cart to the front of the store to get your quarter back. Do you realize how this simple system could save WalMart millions of dollars? People will not give up that quarter. This takes away the need for cart-return areas in the parking lot, people who gather the carts, and the fancy remote motorized machines that help push the carts.

penny3333 04-20-2009 12:15 PM

But gee drlivingston, the WalMart board of directors wouldn't be able to think of something that simple. They're too busy calculating how to get their next bonus, where they're going to take the corporate jets, which golf course they're going to try to get their tee times set up on, and how much more than can squeeze out of their customers.

I use the plastic bags because I recycle them for my own use. I line the small trash bins in my house with them, I use them to take my lunch to work, I use them to collect vegetables out of the garden, I use them to wrap up bones or skin from chicken/turkey/fish, I use them to collect the scoops from the litter boxes, etc. The reusable cloth bags don't hold much either. I really think it's just another way to make money. The plastic bags can be and are recycled. You will always have those that don't care and will dump them anywhere, but they do that with anything. Ever been to a race, there are more wax paper, napkins, paper containers, and beer cans than there are fans. Probably 2000 trash containers around the venue, but very few use them.

Dwayne 04-21-2009 10:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But gee drlivingston, the WalMart board of directors wouldn't be able to think of something that simple. They're too busy calculating how to get their next bonus, where they're going to take the corporate jets, which golf course they're going to try to get their tee times set up on, and how much more than can squeeze out of their customers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/21.gif

I just wish they would re-stock the shelves!

Since the economy went down the drain, they have been having sections of empty shelves in our local Wal*Marts. It's pretty bad when you can't get a can of Sour Cream & Onion Pringles to go with your deli sandwich.

It would be neat if CA would refund the 25 cents for turning the plastic bags in. We could hire a truck and stuff it full to send their way and get rich. http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_biggrin.gif

Dwayne

f-mattox 04-22-2009 10:03 AM

That's exactly right, Dwayne; I don't know about 25 cents, but if they made it a deposit like glass or aluminum, you wouldn't see them blowing all over the place.

Svein 05-08-2009 08:56 AM

Hehe.. It's funny to read all those interesting remarks.
Over here in Norway most grocery stores have been doing this for more than 10 years now, and I have to say you get used to it.

Of course the purpose is to encourage people to bring their own bags and reuse them, but both you and I knows that this won't happen because most of us shop spontaneously and are therefore not carrying a bag at all times.

On the other hand I think the western world is obliged to do something with our overflow of everything - also plastic garbage, so I kind of support putting a fee on plastic bags. But USD 0,25 seems a little bit high. the fee over here is something around 0.15.