Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 11:12 AM

So, what do you think about this ?

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/u...ndex.php?cl=15088134

On the one hand the policeman should be in pole position for the "idiot of the day" GP, but on the other hand ...

On the cons hand it's against enterprising, on the pros one it's good for public health ...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Police often fail to remember they have discretion in some matters. In this case I would understand it if the officer simply told me to close up shop and I complied. Why the ticket?

Years ago when G. Gordon Liddy had a large radio show he was criticizing the National Park police for arresting a woman who had picked up some eagle feathers. The feathers were not attached to an eagle, they were laying on the ground. Strictly speaking, the law said possession of eagle feathers was illegal. After he got done calling it a silly arrest a member of the park police called in and started arguing about it. This "officer" was infuriating. Everything was black and white to him. "She broke a law". "Sir have you ever heard of prosecutorial discretion?". "Our job is to enforce the law to the letter". Back and forth it went. The Barney Fife complex that infects too many people with badges.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM

I'm glad that the director of the parks department had the good common sense to forget the ticket. Dave, you're so right, Barney Fife complex at its best. Geesh!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 PM

Yes, a Barney moment for sure! A ticket was definitely way too much. Whatever happened to discretion as Dave mentioned? "Hey folks, you can't do this here without a permit, close it up."

The police usually handle these type of things in a more moderate manner here. This man and woman were cruising down the beach in a golf cart a few days ago. A big no-no. A police man simply explained the ordinance and told them to go back to the access and get off the beach with it. I actually wouldn't mind if they wrote a few tickets for littering though.

Dwayne

Closed Thread