Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 12:39 PM

I just read that As the World Turns has been canceled after a 54 year run. I never got into SOAPs, except for Dallas, but I'm sure there are a lot of people sad about this.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator

It wasn't that long ago... maybe a couple of months... that another long-running soap was cancelled. Guiding Light. While I never watched either of these, I think it's sad. I read somewhere today that viewers prefer unscripted TV. Well, this viewer doesn't.

(I've watched One Life to Live on and off for 30 years, and All My Children up to about a couple of years ago.)
Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Count me among those who lament the loss of TV shows that use scripts. I can't stand all this reality-TV garbage. And leave no doubt, it is garbage. I think of the great programs of the past - the classic comedies, dramas, those great mini-series like Roots, Shogun, and so many others. Brilliant writers and great actors. TV can be a good medium. It isn't so these days.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM

The World is definitely Turning for sure.

I too prefer to follow along with a story line of a show. I'll probably get some ribbing for this...I watch Desperate Housewives re-runs on occasion!

Reality TV is often scripted behind the scenes too. It is so easy to notice when they do this. It gets on my nerves when I catch them doing it.

My Mom has been watching "All my Children" since the early 80's.

Dwayne
Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 AM

It's just a sad commentary on the changes. The Guiding Light and As the World Turns have been on forever. All my Children is another long running one. Like I said, I was never into SOAPs, but Dave hit the nail on the head. TV is just garbage today. The only things I enjoy watching are sporting events. I watch the news for the weather report, the food network, national geographics, and the history channel. The rest is trash. I've given each new show a try and have ended up thinking, who wrote this garbage.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, turns, world