Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 03:53 PM

This was a long time brewing but the only fair way to do things. I wonder if the others will follow????

http://cbs2chicago.com/busines...engers.2.985271.html
Old 04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I trust that our Members will keep the discussion of this controversial topic civil and respectful.

LP
Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 PM

It says a person who can not bucket the seat belt with an extension, or can not put the armrest down will not be allowed to board. How do they know until the person tries? does this mean there will be a "try out seat" in lobby to have people try?
I wish they would enforce the carry on rules. that would solve alot of problems.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 PM

I would think that if a person is that large, it would be obvious that the person would need some sort of gauging. I know that the first class seats are a lot bigger than other seat. Why not have people to large to fit in a regular seat, upgrade to 1st class?

Sonny
Old 04-16-2009, 03:07 AM
I was on a crowded cross-country flight with a co-worker who was unable to sit with the armrest down.
She was embarressed and we were both uncomfortable.
But you have to admit, the seats are very small, and our airlines have the oldest planes in the world. The seats are not pleasant if you're tall either.
I would hope that if you have to purchase two seats, you'd get airline miles for both, which would provide first class perks much sooner.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 AM

I don't know how many of you have been on the Ruby or Crown Princess lately, but the seats in the main show lounge have been made as small as possible in order to accommodate as many passengers as possible. There's a place where you don't want to be stuck with even a person anything above regular size next to you.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:36 AM

I agree that a lot of air line seats are too small to be comfortable for a person even under 250 pounds. And now that you're almost forced to put something under the seat in front of you, there's hardly any room for you feet. Isn't flying fun?

Sonny
Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 AM

There are many airlines with the ruling already in place. Either you have to purchase two seats or pay for business or first class tickets. They make wide-bodied aircraft, yet instead of making the seats wider, they just add more seats. There is never enough room for all the carry-ons, either. Maybe if they reduced the number of seats the overhead compartments could handle the luggage. RichC, I didn't notice the seats were cramped on the Emerald or the Caribbean, maybe I just didn't pay attention. I guess the more passengers they cram on these mega ships, the smaller the seating.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator

I have chronic back problems and cannot stand a coach seat for more than 2 hours when I have to use the foot space to store my carry-on (enforce the rules airlines!). I also admit that I am overweight although I can fit in coach without infringing on my neighbors space - even on the more and more common RJs we use at smaller airports (Regional jets).

This is a complicated issue. The airlines cram more seats into an airframe for revenue reasons, while the U.S. has a population that is larger than ever and I don't mean in numbers.

Canada's courts ruled their airlines couldn't do this for flights within their country.

The airline's have a right to define their passenger policies within FAA regulations.

As for me - if the flight is going to be longer than 2 or 3 hours I try to book first or business class. I know this isn't possible for everyone but you have to pay for it if you want or need extra room.

I recall a flight a few years ago where a morbidly obese man was seated at an exit row and needed three belt extensions (we were directly across the row from him. He had bought two seats, but I was alarmed to see him by the exit and the flight attendants did nothing about it. That exit was essentially useless. To his credit, the man said he was headed to a facility in Florida to undergo treatment for his girth.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
RichC, I didn't notice the seats were cramped on the Emerald or the Caribbean, maybe I just didn't pay attention. I guess the more passengers they cram on these mega ships, the smaller the seating.
The Emerald or the Caribbean didn't seem to have the problem as I can remember but the Crown & Ruby sure do. The seats are so narrow that you can just fit between the arm rests & don't even think about pulling out the drink tray. Unless you're extremely anorexic, the tray will squash you in the stomach. Just try & imagine your self sitting a 3 grade school room desk ! When it comes time to applaud, you have to raise you arms in the air to avoid hitting the person next to you.
The only good thing is that they can't reduce the width any further otherwise no one will fit.

Closed Thread

Tags
obese