Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Lido Deck (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/lido-deck/)
-   -   Home alarm systems (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/lido-deck/6965-home-alarm-systems.html)

vacationbound 01-19-2010 05:01 AM

I hope this isn't breaking any forum rules, but I was just wondering what your guys opinions on home alarm systems were and which one do you or would you use. Thanks for any input.

Sandy 01-19-2010 06:10 AM

We had an alarm system for the last 29 years (same system) and I wouldn't be without it. The company started out as Dictograph, and is now something else I can't recall.

Are you thinking of buying an alarm system?

vacationbound 01-19-2010 06:59 AM

Sandy, thanks for your reply. Yes, I am looking around to see which one I would prefer and just wanted some advice. Thanks once again.

bmh 01-19-2010 10:48 AM

We have had one for a long time too. Go to a reputable company, cuts down on false alarms. We only had a couple one when the wind blew the workshop door and something was jammed under the sensor the other was caused by a bird trapped in the shop.

Nadine 01-19-2010 01:57 PM

We have had the same one for many years and we like it, too.

Nadine

Dwayne 01-19-2010 02:57 PM

Definitely do some research first as you are doing. And understand any charges for false alarms before signing the contract. ADT seems to be popular around here. The business I used to work at used SecurityLink, then ADT bought them out. They would call first when the alarm went off before doing a dispatch. They used to wake me up in the middle of the night as I was the first contact listed because I lived the closest. There was an allowance for a certain number of false alarms in the contract before an additional charge would apply. That might be something else to look into. I am not real up to date on the home versions though.

Dwayne

macmom111 01-20-2010 10:54 AM

do your research...but the alarm is only as good as the police get there and they do not make an alarm for burglary a top priority. my alarm that I have makes a whale of noise if the alarm is activated. someone open a window or a door after I set the alarm everyone in the neighbor hood will know. it does have a fire alarm also if smoke is detected. I feel safe with mine. my neighbors will call the police if it whales (sp?) just as fast as an alarm system

vacationbound 01-20-2010 08:31 PM

Thanks guys for all your help. Thankfully, nothing has happened to make me need the alarm, but the way things are going these days I think it would act more of a peace of mind to me. I am also blessed with great neighbors.

Valeries220 01-21-2010 10:42 AM

I had alarm systems in my previous homes & really loved it. The one thing I liked was that the service didn't call you when the alarm went off they contacted the police. This way if someone is holding a gun to your head you don't have to tell the serive that all is fine. I would have to call the service to let them know there wasn't a problem. Most of the time it was too late since they already had the police on their way. The alarm did come in handy since there was an attempted break in & the alarm scared them off.