Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

"welches" also someone who fails to pay on a lost bet.

That darn Jack always welches on his bets.

Charles B Mitchell (Fairplay, CA, a boutique winery that produces about 12,000 cases of wine per year), 1997 Grand Reserve (Bordeaux blend of about 55% cabernet sauvignon, 35% cabernet franc, and 10% merlot). Since 1994 and every year thereafter, it has a dark chocolate nose and produces a subtle dark chocolate on the palate, primarily on the finish.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Banned

I wasen't joking.I don't drink.Grape juice has all the properties of red wine except the alcohol.antioxadents,flovanoids,vitamins all that good stuff...
Old 09-09-2007, 09:10 PM

Well it is hard to beat a good Chateaneuf-du-pape but I am buying anything but French wines these days. Cabernet Sauvignon is my preference for just enjoying a glass of wine but I don't mind the spiciness of a nice Syrah or the familiarity of a Merlot.

Most recently I have grown to appreciate the locally developed variety of Frontenac Grapes.
The Frontenac grape was developed at the University of Minnesota to survive the extremes of the Minnesota climate. This makes a big, robust style of wine from this hardy grape, loaded with black berry fruit and a deep, richly pigmented color (a real tooth-stainer!). The wine is aged in 60% new oak barrels in order to give the wine a smoky, earthy balance to its intensity of fruit. A majority of Minnesota grown oak, staves produced from trees grown in Houston County south of Winona, are sent to California to be coopered into barrels by a French company. (Pttewwy.)
Old 09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Spiciness and familiarity? We're talking wine, right?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:56 PM

No, not talking about Aunt Betty and her weird perfume, nor chili peppers, but aromatic spiciness. (Well, I didn't invent the term.) Familiarity, admittedly not a wine term but in my brain, like a favorite chair. Merlot seems to be what people drink when they don't know any better.

Now ask GC about "White Zinfandel"!
Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Just having fun with you, Ken. I know nothing about wine but I'm facinated with the terminology wine lovers use; and also some of the terms like "nose" and "finish". I read the weekly wine column in our local paper just as a lesson in descriptive writing.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

I am not an oenophile by any means, but I do like to try the wine tastings on Royal Caribbean ships. It is free for C&A members, and for a small fee they have a better one at the wine bar on the larger ships. I have learned much.

A fun thing to order on the Freedom class ships, and also on the Mariner, is a flight of wines. This is a serving of 4 different wines.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Do they do one on the Voyager. Will I be able to do it too? Only my first cruise though but it will be my birthday!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

I thought the term was Winenophile!
quote:
oenophile
Winenophile

Closed Thread

Tags
2005, 2010, bitter, cabernet, grande, review, sauvignon, veo