Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 AM

My husband is attending a conference in Key Biscayne in early November. While he is in conference, I will rough it at the Ritz-Carlton Any suggestions on must see/must do/must eat?
Old 08-26-2007, 02:14 AM
Let's see.....I grew up in Miami. I have been living here in Orlando for a few years. Let me see if I can remember.......

Must see:

- Miami Metro Zoo (a long drive from Dowtown Miami, though)Website: Miami Metro Zoo

- Miami Seaquarium. Close to where your husband will be; on Key Biscayne. Allot like SeaWorld. Website: Miami Seaquarium website

- Coral Castle (an even longer drive to Homestead). Still a great mystery. Nobody knows how he did it. He said he knew how they built the great pyramids. Some said he had magical powers to lift the enormous limestone. Here is their website: Click Here For Coral Castle

- Fairchild Tropical Gardens: A premiere tropical botanical garden. A few miles away in Coral Gables. Here is their website:
Click Here For Fairchild Gardens

Must Eat:

The best restaurants I could remember are:
- Joe's Stone Crab (open in-season)
- Chef Allen's
- Cafe Versailles (Cuban)
I heard these places were the best. I never ate at them, I could not afford to.

You know what, maybe it is the wee hours...or my memory of my hometown is fading. But I am drawing a mental block right now.

Anyway, I hope this could be some help for you.
Have a nice trip to Miami.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:37 AM

Thanks! These are some great leads. I will definitely check them out.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:18 PM
I have been thinking allot about Coral Castle since I posted that reply yesterday. It really was amazing how he did it. And no one knows for sure how he did it. When I go back to my hometown in November, to cruise on the Carnival Triumph; I will try to stop by and visit Coral Castle. I was only there once in my life (when I was really young; about 5). Although I did drive by it more than a few times.

Anyway, on YouTube, there is a video about Coral Castle. The video looks like it is an episode from the Weird Travels TV series. Click here to see it: Coral Castle Video
Old 08-26-2007, 03:49 PM
I forgot to mention in the reply yesterday, about a place near and dear to me. It is the Miami-Dade Fruit and Spice Park. Visiting the park allot when I was younger is what got me interested in growing different kinds of fruit trees and such. It is a giant 32 acre botanical paradise. And if you are into growing such tropical fruit trees and other forms of gardening, you will be like a child in Disney World if you ever go to this place. They have 100s of mango trees, the largest collection of bananas, the largest collection of bamboo, areas of the park divided by tropical regions of the world; it is all amazing. It is located in Homestead, FL not too far from Coral Castle. It is at the intersection of Southwest 248th ST and 187th AVE. The admission still is probably not much. And now they have guided tours onboard an electric tram. Anyway, here is the link to the Fruit And Spice Park website: Fruit And Spice Park
Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 AM

Frase, your enthusiasm is contagious! I will add the spice park to my list. It does sound very interesting. Like you, I too take a mini-vacation when offering suggestions to folks. I thank you for your sincere interest in making my trip a memorable one.

Closed Thread

Tags
biscayne, cruise, key, princess