Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 01:58 AM

Sorry for the B2B post. While I rarely eat fast food, I was busy this evening and gave in and went to Wendy's. Those 99 cent Double Stack's are not bad at all. And their Crispy Chicken sandwich beats the heck out of McDonald's version.

Maybe I was just hungry?

Dwayne
Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Susanmaz, we normally have pork chops, black eyed peas, and turnip greens for New Years day. I don't make lentils often, but it sure was a nice change. I make lots of chili and stew, though.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Administrator

I'm going to make some buffalo chili for tomorrow. A while back I bought some buffalo steaks and have a couple left. Cooked as steaks they were good, but it didn't impress me enough to become a regular buffalo eater. So I am going to grind the remaining steaks for chili. I am not a Texas diced up pieces of meat chili guy. It is hamburger for me, or in this case ground bison. And I like beans in my chili, along with diced tomatoes and onions.

I love my old Kitchen Aid stand mixer and it's attachments. The meat grinder is very handy. Try making your own ground beef sometime using a chuck steak or roast. Huge difference from the packaged ground beef. Great burgers.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:57 AM

Today would be a great day for chili. I like it when it is cold outside. One of my specialties is chili. I use hamburger, dark and light kidney beans, diced green pepper-onion-tomatoes, tomato paste, and lots of various seasonings.

For New Year's is always ham, black-eyed peas, collards, and cornbread. I don't really like black-eyed peas that well, it is just a southern tradition for good luck.

Dwayne
Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Oh boy, barbecue for dinner tonight! With vinegar based cole slaw!

For those not familiar with the south - barbecue means shredded pork from a slowly smoked shoulder or boston butt roast. All you say is "barbecue" and everyone knows what you mean. As in "gimme two pounds of barbecue, slaw, beans, and rolls." What you get is a plastic container full of warm shredded pork, a smaller one with cole slaw (no mayo used, just water and vinegar), another with baked beans cooked in the smoker, one or two small containers with a sauce made of vinegar and spices to various heat levels (some is blazing hot), and a bag or two of hamburger buns. Put some meat on a roll, dump some slaw on top, put a spoon of the hot sauce over it, and chomp it down. Adding sliced dill pickle is a good addition. Bonus points for putting some barbecue in the beans.

This is why there are a lot of fat people in the south, but it sure tastes good.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Oh boy, barbecue for dinner tonight! With vinegar based cole slaw!
I didn't know there was any other kind.

Actually, I do use mayo and vinegar when I make cole slaw at home. I still like the vinegar only slaw as well. I put cheese on the meat before I plop the slaw on. I may make some home made BBQ this weekend after reading this.

I made chili today because the cold weather had me in the mood for it.

Dwayne
Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 PM

Dwayne, do you make a mustard base BBQ sauce? I'm looking for a good recipe. I should have bought some Sonny's bar-b-que sauce in Florida. Sure wish they'd open a couple here, they beat Bob Gibsons hands down.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Big Bob's is overrated. I don't know what they do at those contests to win all those awards but it doesn't translate to their kitchen.

I've never made mustard style sauce but this one looks like it right up your alley with the hot peppers and all.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Dwayne, do you make a mustard base BBQ sauce?
No, I use this vinegar based recipe for the crock pot. It does get a little dry mustard. I like Sonny's too, but they closed ours.

2 onions quarted
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup cider vinegar
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Put the onions in the crock pot. Mix the brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper, and rub over the roast.

Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic salt, and cayenne. Mix it up well and drizzle about 1/3 of it over the roast. Refrigerate the rest. During last half hour of cooking drizzle about 1/3 of the remaining mixture over the roast.

Dwayne
Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Why do I get hungry every time I read another entry in this particular forum??

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, crusty, hard, lentil, lines, recipes, rolls, ship