Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 07:26 AM

I'm not a big NASCAR fan. I prefer F1, but who do you think will win the Daytona 500? I'm leaning towards Dale Jr. or maybe even Denny Hamlin.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 AM

Oddly enough, Penny, for someone who spent much of their life growing up in Talladega County, AL, I haven't the foggiest idea why people watch vehicles drive around in circles for hours. Having never attended one of these events, I will predict that Tiger Woods will be a last-minute entry and drive the new Nike car to a two-lap win. Whenever I get the urge to watch racing, I just head to Atlanta and drive rapidly around I-285.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM

If you want to watch some really awesome racing, go to Birmingham when the AMA (American Motorcycle Association) runs at the Skip Barber Track. It's a beautiful track, with some good areas to see a lot of the track. Those guys running around at 180+ with their knees scraping the ground going through the curves are amazing to watch. The races are short, usually 25 laps, and at the speeds they travel it doesn't take long for them to finish. Skip Barber wants to get an IRL race or a MotoGP race there. Not sure that can happen, the track is only 2 1/2 miles. I'll be looking for Tiger Woods at Daytona
Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Skip Barber Track
I heard some rumors last year that Bernie Ecclestone had toured the Barber track to see if it had F1 potential. It is a stunning track - certainly more challenging than the joke they run at Indy. I don't know if I could contain my glee if Alabama got the U.S. Grand Prix!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM

I don't know if they could handle the crowd there. We've been for 2 of the AMA races, with maybe 35,000 attending, and the facility was strained beyond it's ability. It was still a great race, though. I'll bet if the secured a F1 race they'd add more roads and concessions in a matter of months. They'd recover the expense in one race.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:31 PM

I'm with the Dr. on this one. Just can't seem to get excited by racing as a spectator sport. When I was young I had hot rods of various sorts and still love muscle cars so you'd think with my love of beautiful and fast cars I'd get it, I just don't. I even went to the Indy 500 with my sister years ago when she lived in Indy. We had, what at the time, seamed like great seats. Just a few rows up at the beginning of turn one. After a little over an hour of deafening noise and being pummeled by little pelets of rubber and other odors and debris that come off the tires and gets worse as the race wears on, we decided we'd had the taste for the experience and had had our fill. Headed to her place to shower. Couldn't wait to get rid of the black gunk in every pour, in my hair and the stink of heated rubber. We watched the end on TV so when we told people we went, we at least could tell folks AJ Foyt got it. Never have had the desire to go to another race or even watch it on TV.

I would however jump at the chance to ever drive one of those beautiful machines!

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 AM

Hats off to Roger Penske and his drivers. Denny Hamlin did great in the beginning, but you have to be there at the end to win. Two dodges in the 1 2 position. I'm sure Roger is smiling all the way to the bank.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

I am happy for Ryan Newman. He seems like a humble guy and not a big mouth like some of them. I wonder if they blew the steam whistle at Purdue?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Do any cruise ships show any live Nascar racing on TV? We missed the 2002 Daytona 500 while on the Summit and don't want to miss more, so we do not cruise durning Nascar season.

Rainbird
Summit Feb 2002
Star Princess Jan 2007
Carribbean Princess Jan 2007
Emerald Princess Jan 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
we do not cruise durning Nascar season
That takes quite a chunk out of your cruise choices.

I am an old Nascar fan and don't follow it as closely these days since, in my opinion, it isn't as much fun as it used to be. Too much a formula series now with no meaningful differences between the auto makes.

But I digress....

I've seen Nascar races on ships - actually on my cabin TV. I've not seen them in lounges.

Closed Thread

Tags
500, am500, cruise, daytona, driwer, ship