Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Lido Deck - Off-Topic Section > Lido Deck
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 AM

I am sorry that my presence on the boards have been somewhat diminished. A little over a month ago, we found out that my wife was pregnant. I am 36 and she is 34 and it is a first time experience for both of us. It's a mixture of joy and anxiety. People who are familiar with my posts know that I am not a fan of screaming kids or kids in the adult pools, but, as a parent, I intend to actually be a parent. That means that I will take responsibility for my child's actions and I will never let my child go to the buffet line by themself . If anyone has any bits of wisdom to offer a future father, I would be grateful.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Hey man, that is great! What's up with all the babies around here? First Svein, then Casanova, and now you! We may have to set up a parenting section.

No apologies needed! As I told Casanova - the first thing you need to do is get a Diaper Genie and plenty of refills. You'll be glad to have it.

Kids are going to throw fits and scream. That is what they do. Funny thing about becoming a parent - especially when you are in your age bracket - your perspective on misbehaving kids undergoes a quantum shift. You begin to understand. The good thing is that being consistent in your approach to it will cause it to eventually stop.

One more thing...it isn't too early to consider a college fund. We have a 529 for Jacob.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM

Well what can I say. Life as you know it is about to end. Kids are great, yes they need a few rules, but even with rules they kick and scream.
Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 AM
This is great news! Your life will be changed completely, but in a good way!
Having a child is the biggest blessing in my life and I could not imagine life without it.

Since I'm quite new to fatherhood I don't have any particular advice to give, other that each baby is an individual and one cannot compare their progression with other kids. Also enjoy every day with the little one, time passes so quickly. Our son will be one year in a few weeks (where did that year go?)

Anyway - this is wonderful news - congratulations to both of you

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
time passes so quickly
So true. It seems like yesterday our son was maybe 4' tall and just starting school. Now he is a couple inches taller than me and starting to grow whiskers. He also can kick my butt playing basketball!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM

Congratulations! What an exciting time for both of you!

Nadine
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM

Congratulations Robert!

This is awesome news!

I am sure you will be a great parent.

Dwayne
Old 09-23-2008, 10:03 AM

How exciting and I understand the scary part, too. There's no instruction manual and no guarantees. I have a feeling, though, that your son or daughter will be fantastic! Make sure you teach him/her to swim early. I could swim before I could walk (7 months). We lived in Florida, with all the open pools and canals around, my dad wanted me to know how to swim. My mother freaked when he threw me into the pool, but guess what, I came right back up and have been swimming ever since. The ride is fast and furious, but you'll enjoy every minute. At least until the teenage years I am so happy for you and your wife! Congratulations!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
One more thing...it isn't too early to consider a college fund. We have a 529 for Jacob.
Her father talked me into the 529 fund. I never realized the tax advantages until he enlightened me.
Thanks to everyone for their encouraging words. It is a slightly chaotic time in our lives but we are enjoying the ride. (well, I am enjoying the ride... she just seems to get sick all of the time )
Old 09-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Congratulations! I couldn't tell from your message if this is a surprise or not, but here you are in any case.

It's true that your perspective on kids and their behavior will change. The most dramatic thing, I think, is that very soon after the child's arrival, you'll have trouble remembering life before Baby. You'll have a new feeling about now being a "family" instead of a "couple." And you'll be amazed at how quickly Baby will change. You'll look at pictures from just 3 or 4 weeks prior and wonder how s/he could have changed so much in just a couple of weeks.

So many couple are opting to wait to start a family. You're going to fit right in. Once your child starts school, you'll be amazed at meetings how most of the other parents look like you!

As for advice, don't be afraid to leave Baby with a sitter or family member on a regular basis, so you and your wife can have date night. Remember to concentrate on each other, too, not just on Baby. Of course, the first few times, you'll probably spend the whole time talking about the baby, but still, it's going to be important to reconnect as a couple and pay attention to each other, at least now and then!

Sandy

Closed Thread