Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

Just came back from 9 day Southern Caribbean NCL Pearl cruise. The trip/cruise was fantastic, excellent service, excellent staff, excellent food, and excellent ports of calls. Detailed Cruise review to follow in next few days. Rate cruise on scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest---a solid 10. After 18+ cruises on various lines, this one was the best ever. Will answer any questions regarding Pearl or future Pearl cruisers.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico

next Voyage--NCL Pearl May 20th, 2007 to Alaska.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Mary:
Just came back from 9 day Southern Caribbean NCL Pearl cruise. The trip/cruise was fantastic, excellent service, excellent staff, excellent food, and excellent ports of calls. Detailed Cruise review to follow in next few days. Rate cruise on scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest---a solid 10. After 18+ cruises on various lines, this one was the best ever. Will answer any questions regarding Pearl or future Pearl cruisers.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico

I was thinking about you and wondered when we would hear from you. Glad you had an excellent cruise!

Ken
Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM

In the Garden Cafe were there trays to carry your food? I've heard there isn't which would make it difficult.
How do you like the new dinner reservation policy vs. the old policy?
Thanks, I was happy to see you were able to make the trip, I know you had a previous injury.

Quote:

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico

Old 02-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

Cruising Boo Boo:

There were NO trays to place plates on while going past the "action stations" in the Garden Cafe buffet. There are several areas to select plates, both large and small, rolled silverware in cloth napkins are set at the tables in the Garden Buffet. I did not see any elderly person or handicapped person have trouble carrying food from the buffet. There was always fellow family members or passengers to assist. When moving down the action station area, there is a wide ledge to slide the plates down. The Pearl has used lots of granite for countertops.

As for the reservations, we did not need to make any reservations as relied on our Concierge to make those for us. It was never a problem. As a VIP passenger, in a Penthouse and as a Platinum Latitudes member, we got anything we asked for, and never had to worry about reservations. I saw no complaints, nor heard any complaints from passengers who had to wait a long time for a table. There are so many resturants on board the dining choices are awesome. If La Cucina the Italian resturant is filled, then the Outdoor Cafe is also available as it is just out the back door of La Cucina. When we had our large group of 79 cruise critic members, some passengers not part of our group was seated outside for a beautiful evening of dining from the La Cucina menu.

On another note, LisaP asked what was the biggest change from the Jewel to the Pearl. Well LisaP, I would say the Garden Cafe, or buffet because of the "action food stations". There was ALWAYS fresh ingredients for the food styles what was prepared, including Italian, Asian, always a carver for the meats. Fresh salads with attendent always there, Fresh HOT soups, fresh oatmeal. Breakfast prep for omelets, and regular fried eggs went very fast with two stations making three orders at one time. When flipping eggs or omelets the cooks never missed. They get a lot of practice. This was the most noticable change, of course with the exotic, sensual, Bliss Ultra Lounge. It's very unusal, and very different, but beautiful.

Keep the questions coming....we saved every notice, every cruise daily with itineary for the day. We can answer any and all questions.

Yes, there is a self service laundry on board directly across stateroom number 10088 and 9088.
The washer/dryers are state of the art, no cost. Just pay for your soap or softeners.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico

I was not the person who was injured in the golf car accident.

Boo,BOO....We will be on the Pearl for Alaska May 20th with you. It should be awesome. Are you a past Latitudes member Bronze or above? If not, as Platinum members, I will invite you and your guest to join us for Breakfast or Lunch in Cagney's. It's extremely nice with the best of the best of waiters and food. Howabout a nice 5 oz Filet cooked to your liking with some fresh made eggs for breakfast. It's terrific.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 PM

Just saw your comments. We're booked on the 5/20 Pearl cruise to Alaska too. I'm getting so excited as I read the reviews that are coming in about the Pearl.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:22 AM

OH Richard amd Mary, how sweet of you to invite us to breakfast! We are only gold level and we would LOVE to join you... except we are not on the Alaskan cruise we are on the 4-13-07 southern Caribbean cruise. But THANK YOU!!!!maybe next cruise we can get together

Quote:
Cruising Boo Boo:

There were NO trays to place plates on while going past the "action stations" in the Garden Cafe buffet. There are several areas to select plates, both large and small, rolled silverware in cloth napkins are set at the tables in the Garden Buffet. I did not see any elderly person or handicapped person have trouble carrying food from the buffet. There was always fellow family members or passengers to assist. When moving down the action station area, there is a wide ledge to slide the plates down. The Pearl has used lots of granite for countertops.

As for the reservations, we did not need to make any reservations as relied on our Concierge to make those for us. It was never a problem. As a VIP passenger, in a Penthouse and as a Platinum Latitudes member, we got anything we asked for, and never had to worry about reservations. I saw no complaints, nor heard any complaints from passengers who had to wait a long time for a table. There are so many resturants on board the dining choices are awesome. If La Cucina the Italian resturant is filled, then the Outdoor Cafe is also available as it is just out the back door of La Cucina. When we had our large group of 79 cruise critic members, some passengers not part of our group was seated outside for a beautiful evening of dining from the La Cucina menu.

On another note, LisaP asked what was the biggest change from the Jewel to the Pearl. Well LisaP, I would say the Garden Cafe, or buffet because of the "action food stations". There was ALWAYS fresh ingredients for the food styles what was prepared, including Italian, Asian, always a carver for the meats. Fresh salads with attendent always there, Fresh HOT soups, fresh oatmeal. Breakfast prep for omelets, and regular fried eggs went very fast with two stations making three orders at one time. When flipping eggs or omelets the cooks never missed. They get a lot of practice. This was the most noticable change, of course with the exotic, sensual, Bliss Ultra Lounge. It's very unusal, and very different, but beautiful.

Keep the questions coming....we saved every notice, every cruise daily with itineary for the day. We can answer any and all questions.

Yes, there is a self service laundry on board directly across stateroom number 10088 and 9088.
The washer/dryers are state of the art, no cost. Just pay for your soap or softeners.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico

I was not the person who was injured in the golf car accident.

Boo,BOO....We will be on the Pearl for Alaska May 20th with you. It should be awesome. Are you a past Latitudes member Bronze or above? If not, as Platinum members, I will invite you and your guest to join us for Breakfast or Lunch in Cagney's. It's extremely nice with the best of the best of waiters and food. Howabout a nice 5 oz Filet cooked to your liking with some fresh made eggs for breakfast. It's terrific.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Thank you again for answering my question, Richard & Mary. Hope you don't mind another.

We are Gold Latitudes members -- would we be able to have breakfast or lunch in Cagney's? Also, on what other ships have you seen this perk? (I know... two questions.)
Old 02-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

LisaP:

As a Platinum Latitudes member, we got the perks in Cagney's, from my understanding due to being in a Suite, Penthouse AC 9500 Forward. I also understand that some guests are invited by NCL for this special treat. I know of one guest on our cruise that was on Deck 4, considered the washing machine deck with a port hole at sea level, and got all the perks.

Seen this only on the Jewel and the Pearl. Sailed the Star and Dream, and got lots of perks on the Dream, even a one on one dinner in Le Bistro with Captain Nenad Mogic. That was a very special treat, and lots of goodies delivered to our statement daily. We had the same on the Pearl. Everyday for 9 days, something special was always delivered to our statement compliments, Concierge, Hotel Director, Food & Beverage Director and the Captain. It was very nice and made us feel very special. This is one reason, we keep going back to NCL. We have never had a bad cruise or experience. Never
Old 02-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Thanks again. I was a bit confused by your post that a Bronze member could join you in Cagney's when you mentioned earlier that this was a Platinum perk.

Our last NCL cruise was our first since NCL revamped the Latitudes program, so we're not sure whether the "VIP service" we received was due to our Latitudes status (as per their literature) or that we were in a suite (as NCL refers to its 235-square foot staterooms on N. Majesty). This was our first time in a suite, as well, which is not our usual type of accommodation. I suppose that on our next NCL cruise, we will learn which of the perks are attributable to Latitudes only.

On another note, it sounds like NCL finally got its buffet offerings close to that of other lines. (Although, IMO, it would still be a long way to go to equal Princess.) But, I am quite certain that I saw a carving station and other attendants when I visited N. Jewel during lunchtime about a year-and-a-half ago. I'd be surprised if they got rid of it in the interim.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Banned

LisaP

I think you may be right, not sure on how they select who gets the special treatment to dine in a specialty restaurant like Cagney's. My partner is trying to determine that as we have meet NCL passengers not in a suite be invited into Cagney's for the special breakfast and lunch menus. I know that since we have become Platinum Latitudes members, (our last 3 cruise on NCL) NCL was told us that my Platinum memebership was permanent, that we do get special perks. The treatment from the staff and the officers have been second to none. Once I get a real handle on this situation, I will let you know.

Richard & Mary

Closed Thread

Tags
borel, cafe, captain, caribbean, corina, day, garden, kapetan, mogi, mogic, ncl, nenad, reviews, southern, trays