Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Banned

NCL Sun stateroom # 1001 Forward over looking the bow of the ship.

If anyone has stayed in this stateroom, on the NCL Sun and could provide your toughts and review of this room, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Mary:
NCL Sun stateroom # 1001 Forward over looking the bow of the ship.

If anyone has stayed in this stateroom, on the NCL Sun and could provide your toughts and review of this room, it would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Richard & Mary,

We were on the Sun during Easter break this year in the Caribbean, and had the exact room. The view is awesome! The same view as what is on the ship cam, actually better since you will be a few decks higher than where the cam is located. The balcony is deeper than those found on the port or starboard sides which was great for "semi private sunbathing" (I will expand on this further later on in this post). Not sure if you will need the extra space for Alaska though, as you pretty much will be standing at the rail.

If you have ever had a forward facing suite before, you will know what's coming, if you haven't, here are some tips for you. We affectionately called our stateroom "the bug catcher". The stateroom worked like the windshield of your car, it collected bugs. Since the ship is moving forward, and you are forward facing, anything flying in front will be sucked in like a vacuum. We experienced this as we traveled down the Mississippi headed for the gulf. Lot's of mosquito's on the bayou, and summer in Alaska might be the same. And be prepared for the wind! Oh the wind! Example; the ship is sailing at 20 knots, you automatically have a 20 knot wind. If you have a 20 knot headwind, you will now have a 40 knot wind, etc. It's almost impossible to stand on the balcony and enjoy the view with the windspeeds you will experience. You can't keep the balcony doors open either since it will tear through the cabin like a tornado, and blow anything around that is not nailed down.

Now for the "semi private" comment. As we pulled into our first port early the 2nd morning of our cruise, I walked out to the railing dressed in let's just say, less than what is appropriate for the dining room, buffet line, or any public area for that matter. As I'm standing there, I can hear talking, giggling, etc. and I look up to the observation deck one deck above, and see a couple hundred new found friends staring down into our balcony. I wasn't aware that the balcony juts out further than the observation deck. Needless to say, for future ventures to the balcony, I was in proper attire. Hated to think I couldn't just walk out and enjoy the view without being on public display. Also, there is nothing to stop people from dropping anything onto the balcony, cups, cigarette butts, etc. A good cabin steward will clean this up for you though. Ours was the best!

The bathroom on board was the finast imaginable. Lots of room. We easily could fit all four of us in the bathroom at one time. That worked out well when you are rushed to get places. One in the shower, one in the stall, one at the sink area, and one in the closet/changing area.

We found there was ample storage space. That was never an issue.

I hope you find this helpful. Enjoy your cruise!! Bon Voyage!!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Banned

WOW!! Sounds like a lot of good things, but those few negatives might make me think otherwise about booking a forward facing cabin. I like a little wind, but 40 knots +/- and bugs splattering would really diminish my fun meter.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I'll second that!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

I think I should weigh in on this one, too, as I have had a forward facing cabin, too. Flat out, I'll never do it again. When I opened my balcony door, and my door to the cabin was closed, the wind blew in and swirled around the cabin, picking up anything not bolted to the floor and swirling it around the cabin. I left some cash on the desk, and it was picked up, did a couple of revolutions around the cabin, and out the balcony door. There was little, if any privacy on the balcony, too. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

2B WOW! (For non-baseball fans, 2B=Double).
Old 06-14-2007, 02:03 PM

If that's not enough, try spitting.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned

Carlg:

Thanks for the update on Stateroom #1001 on the Sun.

On our 9 day So Carribbean on the Pearl we had a forward Penthouse Suite #9500 and understand the wind and the need for clothing rather than observing the oceanviews in the buff.

We will be on the NCL Sun for 11 days from San Francisco down the US and Mexican Coast next year and have booked the cruise this week. It was great to have a review from a passenger already in that suite. So thank you for the input. We will have to watch for falling beer bottles, and debris from above, and hopeful no major flying insects that time of the year. If the skys are clear and we feel water, then we know Chef Ken warned us of passengers spitting down on us. I think we can take anything, because its a cruise. We love to cruise and enjoy the seas, but we want to be careful so we don't blow away, or get burned up from cigarette butts flying our way. I will remember to bring one of those giant TEXAS sized bug swatters, and I will make sure that Mary has her cash locked up.

Thanks again, looking forward to the spacious bathroom. Mary likes to hog the vanity. Ok Mary, just kidding.......

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, cabin, cruise, door, ncl, norwegian, registered, review, reviews, room, state, stateroom, staterooms, suite, sun