Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 02:39 PM

Hi Billy -

Thanks for the reply and info.

We will absolutely do Le Bistro and will probably do at least two others. We love the mains though. We were on Dawn in 04 and love her...Venetian was actually our favorite just because it was so grand. Looking forward to Pearl's Summer Palace as it looks just as wonderful!

A couple of the shore excursions we're doing are also feeding us which I consider a deal since it will be local fare.

This is precisely why we went down the economical path for the stateroom so we'd have much more room in our pockets for Freestyle everything!

Speaking of the ‘two for one’ we were able to get that on Spirit in 06 in Teppanyaki which was a nice perk! I hope we’ll be able to take advantage of the same on Pearl but we won’t fret if we don’t!

Bon Voyage!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
We did one of the longer cruises on the Pearl last month and I can say we took advantage of the 2 for 1 Specialty Restaurant promotions. The first week, 2 for 1 were only between 8 - 9 pm in the La Cucina, Mambo's and Lotus Garden. Then the last two weeks was 2 for 1 between 5 - 10 pm in all Specialty Restaurants what a deal, we were able to try almost all of them and some more than once, they were all good. The two main dining rooms are the Summer Palace was very nice but I found it to be a wee bit noisy for me and the Indigo is also nice and more on the quiet side. We didn't have to wait at any of the restaurants. On the shorter cruise I don't think they will offer as much 2 for 1 as we had, check the Freestyle Daily it will tell when the 2 for 1 deals are. You should enjoy the Pearl it is a very nice ship.

Costs:
La Cucina , Mambo's $10.00 pp
Lotus Garden, Shabu-Shabu, Sushi Bar, La Bistro $15.00 pp
Cagnay's $20.00 pp
Teppanyaki $25.00 pp

No cost:
Garden Cafe (buffet)
Summer Palace
Indigo
Blue Lagoon Cafe open 24 hours (good burgers)
Great Outdoors (Aft deck)

Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:34 PM

Bentnail -

Thanks for the info…love the handle by the way…I’m going out on a limb here saying you know a thing or two about carpentry!

Anyway, the breakdown of costs is very helpful.

Question – since you had an opportunity to sample so many – did you do Mambos? Paul and I are great fans of Tapas and are really looking forward to that one. I’m actually quite surprised that the surcharge is only $10.00 pp! What a deal!

I’m already mapping out which restaurant we’ll do on what day. Paul tells me that I’m possessed! Once I’m booked on a cruise I have to be completely involved with it until we step aboard…after that I can relax knowing it’s all planned. Comes from being a left brained engineer!

Since we’ve been around the Caribbean a bit we don’t feel quite so compelled to do as many shore excursions. As such, we’ll be aboard when deals will no doubt be going on and the ships will be empty. That’s the best time to be aboard! We’re firm believers of the “the ship is the destination” philosophy and intend to take every advantage while everyone else is ashore. We’re only scheduled for a tour in Belize and Cozumel…leaves us plenty of time aboard to explore and EAT!

About the noise in the big main dining rooms. I agree but I just loved “Venetian” so much on Dawn that I know I’ll love “Summer Palace” just as much and hey, one good thing about turning 50 and working in aerospace all my life…my hearing is shot! LOL!

Thanks again for the cost breakdown!

(And yes, I am already planning a weight reduction regimen for when we return!)

Bon Voyage!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Mambo's did it twice at half the price.
The steak fajitas were great, watch for the
PO PO before you order it, it will be the big thing with spikes all over it and looks like it is 2 feet tall and all kinds of food hanging on it. We didn't have it but everyone that did said it was very good. Nachos seem to be good if you like cheese sauce. The Margaritas were good and around $5.50. We were told when they have the younger crowds the 2 for 1 is early 5:30 to 7:30 - 8 pm most of the younger people like to eat later and with the older crowd the 2 for 1 is later like after 8 pm. They never told me when younger becomes older, you are only as old as you want to be. They say you gain about 5 lbs on a 7 day cruise so lose the 5 lbs before you go and eat all you want on the cruise. Philadelphia I was born there back in the late 40's so I must be one of the older crowd but I eat the early meals as well as the late ones and maybe both once.

Have a smashing good time on your cruise.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:26 AM

Hi Bentnail -

Well I am also at the age where I'm not sure which crowd I belong to. With a life partner 14 years my junior it makes it more interesting! We will certainly try to get the 2 for 1 but won't let it interrupt us if we had other plans before or after dinner.

You were born in Philly? I actuall hail from Ft Lauderdale myself. We're actually way out in the middle of Chester County but for ease of description I just say Philly.

So glad to know about Mambo's! Thanks for that.

I'm counting the days / hours / minutes!

Happy Trails!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 PM

Dumb question- is it still all you can eat in the specialty restaurants? My sons have bottomless pits for stomachs so the "all you can eat" feature of a cruise is a big draw for us (and my wife and I loved La Trattoria on the Dream, shame it's no longer free).

Old 11-15-2008, 02:19 PM
sparks1093 - We have asked for and received extra portions in the Teppanyaki Restuarant on board the NCL Dawn. There was no additional charge at the time. You can always check with the Hostess at the time you are making reservations on board to see if that policy is still in effect.

Policies are varying and changing so quickly within the entire cruise industry that the policy in effect for one cruise may be completely revised by the next.

Check with the Hostess first.

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 11-15-2008, 11:24 PM
sparks1093

The Specialty Restaurants and Main Dining Restaurants are not called "all you can eat" but you sure can order all you want, we have ordered more than one dish of the items in both restaurants. With teens / young adults they could very well head to the buffet after leaving the restaurant and there is the 24 hour place too. We have raised sons.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:56 AM

Thanks BillyBuzzy and Bentnail, "all you can eat" wasn't exactly the term I was looking for, but you knew that. I expect they will put the 24 food availability to the test (I almost expect to be awoken at 3 a.m. from room service being delivered).

Old 11-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Banned

Just off the NCL Star:

Specialty restaurants: as of 11-18-2008

Le Bristo $15.00 per person.....EXCELLENT FOOD
Chocolate Fondue for 2 as desert is EXCELLENT
Highly suggest Le Bristo to all NCL cruisers.

Cagney's $20.00 per person..Extra $10 for Lobster and Filet

Endless Summer (Tex/Mex) $10.00 with free Margarita for each paying person.

La Trattoria $10.00 per person.....Italian

Ginza...(Asian Fusion) $15.00...Good Asian food

Teppanyaki $25.00...good show

Soho Room $15.00

Garden Buffet...No Cost

Aqua....Main dining...No Cost

Versailles..Main dining...no cost.

Blue Lagoon...24 hour....no cost...great comfort food.

In Ginza we ordered three main dishes....
In Versailles we ate three lobster tails each.
Lobster now served 2 nights in main dining rooms.

Room service 24 hours......no cost for menu items.

Fresh squeezed orange juice ..Small $2.50 glass
Large $3.50 glass

Coffee and Iced tea in Market cafe or any restaurant ...No cost

For those in Suites..Penthouses...Garden Villa was special breakfast and lunch invitation in Cagney's at NO COST. Cagney's for breakfast has a nice buffet set up and you can order off the menu also. 5 oz steak filet and eggs for breakfast on breakfast menu....GREAT traditional Eggs Benedict......Great 10 oz. Sirloin on lunch menu. Excellent Service.....Excellent atmosphere.

NCL-U....Martini clinics and 5 Martini's (3 oz.) for $15.00 at Gatsby's Bar... Each Martini different type...lots of fun. See Freestyle Daily for daytime schedules.

NCL-U ...Margarita clinics and 5 Margarita (3 oz.) for $15.00 at Gatsby's Bar.....each Margarita different type...lots of fun.

Lots of outside (poolside) BBQ's.....No cost.
Topsiders Bar and Grill...Buffet line for breakfast and lunch. Burgers, dogs, brats, special Mexican Buffet.

Special ice cream station on Deck 12 in Market Cafe.

Market Cafe, lots of Asian food, sushi all at NO COST for lunch.

Sushi Bar..(in evening..after 5:00 PM).....(located in Ginza)...$10.00 all you can eat.

Many items in Main Dining room also offered in the main buffet (Market Cafe) on Deck 12.

Aqua Main Dining after 5:00PM...NO SHORTS..same for Versailles Dining Room.

I am sure that all ships are priced the same with different names for specialty restaurants on each NCL ship.

Since your paying the extra fee, don't be afraid or embarrassed to order multiple entries.

Hope this info helps all NCL cruisers.

Closed Thread

Tags
charge, charges, cost, cover, cruise, deal, dining, extra, httpcruisechatcomeveforumsatpcf303601132m216104019 3, line, ncl, norwegian, restaurant, restaurants, specialty, star