Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 08:56 AM

Can anyone just answer the question?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

I believe f-mattox answered it completely.....you are on your own to make arrangements....

Posted February 27, 2007 12:05 PM Hide Post

But seriously folks, you really have just two options; if the ship is not too far out you can get a water taxi to take you out. This is extremely expensive and will not make you very popular with the Bridge Officers; or you can try to arrange transportation to the next port--also very expensive.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott&Anne:
Can anyone just answer the question?
So you are talking about showing up at the gangway two days before the end of the cruise with all your baggage and acting like you are going to come back later? Security will notice. What about the shipboard account? If you don't come back and haven't formally processed out with the ship they may consider you "missing" and depending on the circumstances this could launch needless searches and problems. Maybe it won't, but why take that chance.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 PM
And don't forget, many countries waive formal visa requirements for cruise ship passengers; you jump ship and you could find yourselves in violation of immigration laws and in a real legal mess.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

If you miss the ship then you need to put a dunce cap on.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Dave makes an excellent point about permanent debarkation, luggage, and shipboard accounts.

As for fears of missing the ship unintentionally, this is another reason to carry the name and contact information of the port agent with you. This can be found either in the daily program or the port information/shopping guide available to you on the ship. Be sure to pick one up before you go!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Recently on the Pearl for the 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise, one passenger missed the ship from Dominica to St. Lucia. The ship was delayed out of port. The ship made several calls for the passenger to report to the reception area. One 1/2 hour to 45 minutes later we left port heading for St. Lucia. In this case, since the islands were so close to each other, the passenger had to arrange air travel to St. Lucia and reboarded the ship, the next day.

Security is NO joke on a cruise ship. I would not suggest packing luggage and leaving the ship. There will be many questions, that may imply criminal activity and why one would be leaving. The cruise ships enjoy some freedom from exit and entry at port terminals, but you may have a problem with local government, and laws of the island you are visiting. You are not in America, and as a US Citizen you are the foreigner. I would be very careful and have a good plan if exiting the ship and planning not to return. By having a good plan, it would be to alert the ships authority and security personel. Leaving on your own, will only cause delays for the ship, and passengers. I am sure it would not be allowed, unless a medical emergency.

The idea of leaving ship and possibly waiting for the ship to return and reboard, would be stupid. I am sure you would not be allowed to reboard on the ship. Once the ship stops at the final port, all passengers except paid passengers are made sure they are off the ship. The ship knows of every passenger by name, SSN, photo ID, stateroom information, date of birth all encrypted into the cruise embarkation card that is issued to you.

It would be a very stupid idea to leave the ship in any port, unless the cruise company that you are sailing with knows of your anticiapted departure.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 PM

I recall reading something about it being illegal to debark (or is it disembark???) a ship in a port other than the one you sailed out of unless it's a repositioning cruise. I can't seem to find where I read it now, but when I do I'll post it here.

I agree with the person who asked why you don't just fly to the country you're wanting to visit? Intentionally missing your ship can cause all sorts of problems for the cruise line AND the other passengers, it seems a little irresponsible to me to put that many people out. Just my .02.
Elation, CCL 9-24-06
Carnival Victory, CCL 1-28-07
Sovereign of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, 9-24-07
Old 03-04-2007, 12:18 AM

Finally found where I read it. Scroll down to section 1 letter "e" of the Carnival ticket contract. I know this is the NCL board, BUT since it has to do with United States Customs I don't see how it wouldn't apply to any ship.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T..._contract.aspx

"(e) Guest acknowledges that, for a voyage commencing in a United States port for a round-trip voyage via one or more United States ports, Guest must complete the voyage and disembark at the embarkation port. Failure to do so may result in a fine or penalty being imposed by the United States Customs Service or other governmental agency. In consideration for the fare paid, Guest agrees to pay any such fine or penalty imposed because of Guest’s failure to complete the voyage."
Elation, CCL 9-24-06
Carnival Victory, CCL 1-28-07
Sovereign of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, 9-24-07
Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Good information! Was not aware of this; but this should settle it for Scott&Anne.

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, bon, cruise, departure, destination, gift, limit, miss, missed, misses, norwegian, princess, reboard, ship, ships, voyage