Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 AM

Hi All:

Chuck, as I alluded to in my subject, alcohol IS a subject of constant debate! I agree with you wholeheartedly! The object for me is not to drink more cheaply so much as have the convenience factor available. However, your last comment helped me decide. It's far too much trouble than it is worth and we're certainly not in such dire financial straights to require taking extreme measures just for a little buzz! On the contrary, part of our cruise, aside from the need to disconnect, is to celebrate Paul's [nearly] immediate success in Real Estate. He's only been doing it for a year, in this horrible market, and is doing GREAT!

So, with that said, we'll drink whatever, whenever, let NCL mix it and not worry about the bill. Part of the fun of cruising is ordering from room service. So, bring it on NCL!

As a side note, I have decided to surprise Paul with a Limo to the ship. We had discussed it and deferred to the expense of such an extravagance. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it is well worth it to start the vacation the moment you walk out the door!

Thanks again to everyone for their helpful comments!

See you on the high seas!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-08-2006, 08:43 AM

Darryl,
What in heaven's name were you doing up at 4:15 in the MORNING??? Anyway, great idea to do the limo (tell the service to make sure it is a stretch - same cost) it's exciting outbound but you will REALLY appreciate it on the way home. Have a great cruise!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:35 PM

Hi Chuck:

LOL! Well, actually I think it was 5:15, right before I headed out to work. The aviation biz is one that gets you up early and consequently puts you to bed pretty early! I enjoy it though.

Actually, we are taking the train home. When we discussed it before we thought the limo up would be the best way to start things off. Besides, we're train junkies so it's not like we won't enjoy Amtrak on the way home. My problem is that I'm finding it difficult to hook up with a decent limo service and the prices vary widely! I'm still trying and have a line on a service that a coworker uses that he says has always been good to him.

I'm about to give them a call.

Take care.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:51 PM

I know the owner of a limo service in NYC - I can contact him and ask if he can recommend anyone in Philadelphia. I met him on the Wind Surf in the Med a few years ago. Let me know if you want me to call him or I can give you his number.

If you're train junkies you'll appreciate this - I did the Venice-Simplon Orient Express from Paris to Venice. It was a dream come true! I kept waiting to run into Poirot around every corner!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:25 PM

Chuck...

When you look at the big picture, the air fare, the stay in seattle, the cruise, shuttle services at both ends and hotels, and great accomodations on the ship, I am offended by the prices.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:42 AM

Should I try to sneak booze onto the NCL spirit?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:29 AM

Chuck,

Your calculations are right on! So, with a 300% markup, it is still "cheaper than the bars on board" Just what does that say about the prices? Actual pour cost for most cocktails is less than $1.00.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nette:
Chuck,

Your calculations are right on! So, with a 300% markup, it is still "cheaper than the bars on board" Just what does that say about the prices? Actual pour cost for most cocktails is less than $1.00.
Nette,
Actually much less than $1.00 since they purchase liquor at really low prices but it still gets better. The bar uses either litre bottles of mix (purchased at wholesale) or they use a "gun" for the mixer. If they use a gun, then the mix is only PENNIES. One has to add the cost of the bartender and server (both of whom you are subsidizing at 15% of the retail price of your cocktail automatically added to your bill) BUT the average delivered cost of a drink is still going to be WAY LESS than $1.00.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:44 PM

Hi All:

Chuck I covered the limo...thanks for your offer though. Coworker had a connection that got me an awesome deal. They're even going to throw in a couple of extras (like stretch for the price of town car) and champagne since I told them it was a surprise.

Anyway, regarding the Simplon-Orient...OMG am I jealous! Loved your "Christie" reference!

Okay, now I just have to pontificate for a second here so please everyone bear with me. I just want to point out that I think it's getting really nuts here about the alcohol "problem". I know I started this topic and my subject says it all but let me just give you a point of reference that may help you all rethink bothering with smuggling.

Recently a friend came to town and Paul and I were only able to visit with him for a few hours. He'd never been to the Philly area and since he was in the city we wound up going to Hard Rock Cafe in center city. While we were waiting for a table we went to the bar. For those of you familiar with our famous local brew, Yuengling Lager, you'll get this. Paul and I love Yuengling and we wanted to show it off to our friend. Imagine my surprise when after ordering three (3!) drafts the bill came to $21.00! $7.00 each!

The point I'm trying to make here is that you're not paying for the booze; you're paying for the venue. As we all know, cruise lines have changed a lot in recent years and one of the ways they are able to offer cruises so cheaply is because of the value added items you buy on board. Now, I'm about as anti-corporate as anyone can get but I also believe in this one simple truth. Businesses are in business to make money. Period. There is no altruism here; you're not cruising around for nothing. Cut their shareholders some slack...buy a drink on board!

Okay, that last bit was a bit sarcastic even for me, but you get the idea.

Okay, I'm done!

BTW, all of my subterfuge to keep Paul out of the loop about the limo is working beautifully! He won't catch on at all. The only snag I ran into was that I had to get a friend put it on his credit card so Paul wouldn't see the charge on ours. That was easy enough.

Anyway all, forgive my [typical] verbosity but I just needed to get that [the alcohol issue] off my chest!

Have a great one!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:30 PM

Hi Darryl,
I have been wondering how much is a drink on the cruise for refernce. I am like Paul and want to drink and have a good time on our cruise but would like to know before hand how much each mixed drink and beer will cost us.

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, bora, bringing, cruise, epic, gauguin, ncl, paul, regent, reviews, room, seas, service, smuggling, sneaking