Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 PM

I find it hard to fathom why some passengers chose to wear their hats in the restaurants. I would have thought that the maitre d' would have something to say about the practice however apparently not. In the past (on the Wind and Dream at least) there used to be a sign requesting patrons to "please remove headress". Jeans of all kinds are very common in all the restaurants on the Jewel including Cagney's and Le Bistro. It is a little strange to observe tux and jeans together. It is freestyle and the system does work well.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator

A lot of the "hat thing" is based in pop culture where one sees stars like Tom Hanks always wearing ball caps - and hence people try to emulate it. Personally I wear ball caps a lot since I am bald and don't like a sunburned scalp. However I always remove my cap once I am seated in a restaurant, even if it is a McDonalds.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Just back from the Pearl and nobody was wearing baseball hats in the main dining areas...and yes, jeans were worn on formal night, but to some people, jeans are formal wear....each to his own.....Happy Cruising......

Bob E
Old 02-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bmh:
I find it hard to fathom why some passengers chose to wear their hats in the restaurants. I would have thought that the maitre d' would have something to say about the practice however apparently not. In the past (on the Wind and Dream at least) there used to be a sign requesting patrons to "please remove headress". Jeans of all kinds are very common in all the restaurants on the Jewel including Cagney's and Le Bistro. It is a little strange to observe tux and jeans together. It is freestyle and the system does work well.
Jeans are allowed in all but one restaurant aboard NCL ships. They set the dress code, not you!

As for hats and caps, that's a different story.
Normally, proper etiquette suggests removing hats and caps when entering a restaurant.
But, there is a responsibility by the restaurant to provide the hats and caps a safe place. When is the last time you saw hat racks, or a hat check-in in a restaurant? An empty chair at your table will suffice, but when was the last time you saw an empty chair at your table for two on NCL ships?

Interesting reading here:
http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/accessories/90

" As for hat storage, a restaurant should be prepared for the possible onslaught of civilization, and so, if there is no proper storage, one should ask the host, hostess or waitperson where one might temporarily store one’s hat. If the facility provides no suitable accommodation and no unused chair is handy, a gentleman is justified in leaving it on, at a rakish angle proportionate with his degree of displeasure."
Old 02-04-2008, 05:25 PM

I think it's kind of refreshing that there are some lines that cater to the very formal and at least one that is more casual and others heading that direction. NCL has tightened their freestyle clothing requirements recently but what is so terrible about jeans? I'd rather not have ball caps in the dining room and don't really want to see shorts or tennis shoes either. Jeans however can be quite well dressed up. Guess that makes my southern roots and lifestyle a little apparent. Ever seen a country music award show? Ever see Foxworthy and a few others on stage? You'll often see jeans and boots with a sport coat or nicer. A bolo tie instead of fabric one? I've lived the majority of my life in jeans and boots. I have some exotics (Aligator, Ostrich, Shark, Stingray, lizzard, etc) some probably cost in excess of any dinner jacket or tux in the room. I'm comfortable in them, I don't feel I am under dressed in them. A former employer of mine was invited to the last Inauguration for our current President. He wore gator boots, a western cut tux with string tie and a custom embroidered cumberbun with the state of Texas Seal on it. Topped off with black 40x beaver Resistol cowboy hat. He was seated for dinner between Alan Greenspan and the owner of Discount Tires. No jeans but the look would have worked well with them for just about any other event and a cruise dining room as well in my opinion. I know there are those out there reading this laughing and thinking I've lost my mind, I've seen the looks from those outside the south, southwest and parts of the west. New Englanders deffinately think we belong out on Halloween in such a get up. But isn't part of cruising being exposed to different cultural experiences? We have our own culture in parts of these regions. I don't laugh at those who wear the dinner jacket that look like wanna be Hugh Heffner's at dinner or the prom and bridesmaid dresses that are getting another go around. Well... I don't openly laugh, I might inside.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 PM

Ron;
I have no intention of re-writing the dress code it was only an observation. It all depends on where a person is brought up and what is considered normal, I remember we never wore a hat in a building of any kind, all goes back to the school uniform days, I too am bald but my hat stays in the cabin unless I am out on deck. What is considered "normal" in the USA or Canada would be frowned upon in Gt Britain or other comonwealth countries and vice versa . When we started cruising every night was formal even on the Stefan Batory, long gone now but was the pride of Holland America Line back in the 60's then known as the TS/S Maasdam 1V
Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
At least on the Pearl, they were turning away people in shorts at the evening meal in the any of the diningrooms....Thank you very much....and I'm sure most ships do the same...but jeans...heck a good pair of jeans probably costs a lot more than the pants I was wearing...Personal choice, but no hats or barefeet please...Happy Cruising...

Bob E
Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 PM

I agree Bob, too be honest most of my jeans look a lot better than the dress pants I have to wear, plus the fact we can get the "relaxed fit" if you know what I mean they can be more comfortable especially towards the end of the cruise.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 PM

Yes indeed, and after all when you sit at the table nobody can see your jeans anyway. they won't even show in the photos they want you to buy.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Administrator

First, and most importantly, Welcome Home, Bob!!!

Next, the points about jeans have been made, both here and in other threads, so let's move on from that topic.

As for caps, I don't get it, either.

Closed Thread

Tags
ball, baseball, caps, code, cruise, diffrent, dress, hat, heffner, hugh, lines, norwegian, restaurants, ships, type, types, wearing