Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2007, 11:36 AM

Hi I'm a first time cruiser. We are taking the Norweigiwn Dawn from NYC 7/14. There will be a lot of us, my parents, sisters and my family, husband 13yr old, 3 yr old and 1 yr old. Am I crazy for doing this? What about excursions?
Any advice would be great!
Thanks
-Jessica
Old 06-17-2007, 12:16 PM

jessica, you're not carzy at all and will have a wonderful time on your first cruise. You're going at the right time with children. Having your family there will make it even more enjoyable. Pop us a note when you return and let us know how you liked the ship and cruising in general.

Happy sailing, Neil
Old 06-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jessicad312:
husband 13yr old.
Welcome to Cruise-Chat ... and congratulations !
You've got a really young hubby.
Not even a little too young ?
Old 06-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Hi jessicad312, and welcome to cruise-chat.

No, you are not crazy. Cruising is a wonderful family vacation. We've been cruising as a family since 1994, when our son was nearly a year old.

As you have extended family coming along, they may be able to offer you one night of "couple time" by watching your youngest child. The 3-year-old will be old enough for the onboard kids program.

Cruising with kids is actually easier than other vacations with kids. Your meals, transportation, and entertainment are all taken care of once on board, and all of you will be pampered by the crew.

As for excursions, I see you are going to Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay, and King's Wharf. It's been a while since I've been to Nassau, so I'll leave that to someone more capable of answering. From King's Wharf, you can take a ferry into Hamilton or St. George -- IMO, St. George will be easier with kids, having done both. You can also take a bus to one of the South Shore beaches. Great Stirrup Cay is a beach day on NCL's private island.

I recommend the public transportation over taxis simply due to the car seat issue. I wouldn't get into a taxi or van without one, but the ferries are perfectly safe. You can roll the stroller right on.

If you plan on doing ship-sponsored excursions, I'd recommend something that is short and does not require you to spend many hours at a time on a tour bus, as the young ones might get bored. I'd also look into the form of transportation being used -- again, some will use cars or vans.

Any other questions, please ask!
Old 06-17-2007, 06:29 PM
The kids will be just fine...and with other family members along, you should have some Alone Time:-)....Go to the one of the Specialty restaurants for a romantic meal....We've been on 18 cruises, but never taken little ones with...we started cruising later in life...I think my children would have loved it...Start a tradition....Happy Cruising....

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
children, cruising, young