Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 AM

closer to the cruise, IF there are suites available (I have a BA Balcony) is it possible to upgrade to these at a somewhat discounted rate than now or do they just leave these empty?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jacquelinec:
closer to the cruise, IF there are suites available (I have a BA Balcony) is it possible to upgrade to these at a somewhat discounted rate than now or do they just leave these empty?
No, NCL will not be given away empty suites. What NCL does is attempt to sell them to passengers already booked in a cheaper cabin. It's called an upsell.

Suppose an AA Owner's Suite is empty. Assuming the fare is $5,000 ( fares vary per week) and someone has already booked an AC Penthouse Suite for $3,500, NCL would offer the AA to the passenger in the AC for 50% of the difference. In this case, for an additional $750.

Then NCL would try an upsell on the AC from someone already booked in an AF Mini-Suite. Then NCL will try another upsell for the AF from someone already booked in a BA Balcony. Eventually, NCL will have some Inside cabins empty.

NCL's upsell department is very small, with just one working a particular ship. Their policy is,

"Don't call them, they will call you."

When you get an upsell call, people refer that as getting a call from the upsell fairy. Whether you get a call from the upsell fairy depends upon if and which cabins are empty, and what cabin you have booked. Sometimes, all the Suites are booked, and there's zero chances you'll get an upsell call.

I hope this explanation helps.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM
You can rest assured that no ship will sail with empty suites. First they will try to upsell it to someone like yourself who is willing to upgrade at an extra cost, but less than the original price of the suite.

As a last resort they will simply upgrade someone and resell their less expensive cabin, most likely to someone on standby status.

Sorry Ron, I see we cross-posted.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM

athat answers my question.....Now...is there a way to request this, because I would be willing to pay another 1000.....Do they have a so called waiting list. I have looked on NCL site and there are alot of suites vacant...
Old 08-22-2007, 05:49 PM
No, there is nothing you can do short of rebooking at the going rate. As Ron pointed out, the upsell fairy calls you, you don't call her.

As a friend of mine who recently got the call called it, "it's the Holy Grail of cruising".
Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 PM

But keep in mind, it never hurts to let them know while checking in that you are interested in an upgrade. Often, the shoreline check in person will tell you to go directly to the pursers desk to inquire however I have on occasion had the upsell granted while still in port check in... otherwise, go directly to the upsell fairy desk as soon as you are on board and inquire.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 PM

I WANT THE UPSELL FAIRY.........
Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jacquelinec:
I WANT THE UPSELL FAIRY.........
Have you lost a tooth lately?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:27 AM

you know I did have 3 pulled about 6 months ago....there is hope.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:47 PM

I have another question. Other than the suites costing more and more room what are the other benefits to them? I am specificially talking about category AC

Closed Thread

Tags
ac, afac, call, category, desk, fairy, interested, ncl, norwegian, penthouse, port, upgrade, upgrades, upgrading, upsell