Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2006, 08:36 PM

I'm planning a cruise in New York in September on the Dawn. This will be my third cruise and have been on the Star and the Carribian Princess. I loved both however, the Princess lines seem to have less kids. The reviews have been bad for the Dawn and this is my 50th birthday. Does anyone know of which cruise lines are mostly for adults? And, can anyone tell me if I'm making a horrible decision to go on the Dawn. I haven't booked her yet.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Banned

Where have you been reading your reviews?

If here, here's a listing of this year's reviews for the Norwegian Dawn:

(Thumbs Down) Lauren Christiana, May 6th, 2006; Cruise to Nowhere "The food was horrible, the additional charges were ridiculous, and the service was shocking. I would not recommend cruising with Norwegian to anyone."

(So-So) Erinn, March 26th, 2006; Western Caribbean "We know NCL is not the best cruiseline out there but it fits our present family position. Regardless of the not so perfect service or food, we still had a great time."

(Thumbs Up) Erik Haglund, March 26th, 2006; Western Caribbean "Our expectations on our cruise were very high and we were not disappointed."

(Thumbs Up) Roy Middleton, March 26th, 2006; Western Caribbean "Had the Greatest experience on this cruise. The food, accommodations (balcony) & service were excellent, also the weather."

(Thumbs Up) Alex McPhail, March 5th, 2006; Western Caribbean =No summary, you'll have to read the entire review=

(Thumbs Up) Bruce, February 2nd, 2006; Eastern Caribbean "Overall this was a very good cruise. I really like leaving from NY and not having to fly to a port to catch the ship. For the price it was a good bargain. The ship was clean, well kept and beautiful inside and out. A slight improvement is needed in the food selection and quality. Would also like to see some entertainment/music focused to a slightly younger audience."

(So So) Mark Dellaquaglia, February 1st, 2006; Eastern Caribbean "I have to say that if this had been our first cruise we would have loved it - although our next one we would have looked somewhere else. But, this was our 4th cruise, and I'm afraid we won't use NCL again. We did like it and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and the itinerary was great, but the overall experience lacked that extra special excitement that RCCL gave us."

(Thumbs Up) Dayna, February 1st, 2006; Eastern Caribbean "Over all, it was just fantastic and I wish I could go back! I loved it and if you go I hope you have the same wonderful experience that we did."

(Thumbs Up)Danielle Thompson, January 12th, 2006; Eastern Caribbean "Gripes aside, we had a fantastic time. The food was great, the islands were beautiful, and we got to meet some interesting people on board."

(So So) Joyce Lambert, January 3rd, 2005; Western Caribbean "All in all the cruise was okay. I will definitely cruise again, just not with NCL."

Let's review the reviews from this year, 1 Thumbs Down, 3 So-So, and 6 Thumbs Up reviews.

If you add the 3 So-So reviews to the one Bad, that's still 6 to 4 to the Good. If we add the 3 So-So reviews to the 6 Goods, that's 9 to 1 to the Good.

where have you been reading very bad reviews? Not here!
Old 05-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Administrator

3rdtimesacharm, by September 9th, schools are back in session so the number of kids on ships decreases dramatically. Of course, you might still find some in the pre-school crowd -- and that is on most lines -- but their numbers are still few.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:18 AM

LisaP, I appreciate your point about school being back in session. I hadn't thought about that. So tell me, what is the East coast like in September? I thought it would be a great time to be over there?

Ron: Thanks for the current reviews. I've been on the internet and looked back even further than 06. Good point that most were good. I've had such wonderful experiences on both my other cruises that with some of what I read, I feared that NCL was truly slacking compared to other cruise companies. Both of my cruises in the past were new ships in their first year which I'm sure made the experience even better and service was fabulous. The Star however, had so many kids and I had forgotten that until I started thinking about booking again. Anyway, thanks for your post.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:58 PM

If you've never been on a cruise before, You'll enjoy the Dawn. If you have cruised before, you will probably be disapointed. Having been on 6 previous cruises, the Dawn was a major let downfor such a magnificent ship. Count me as another "thumbs down" (now 6 to 5), or about 50% which is not very good. Remember, every cruise line has its "Cheerleaders", so it is up to you to do your homework before booking, and if the ship fails to live up to your expectations, then try to enjoy the cruise as best you can, and remember when booking your next cruise.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:24 AM

If you have never been to New England, September is a great time to come! By then the leaves are just starting to change. The weather is also just perfect for taking in NYC.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:37 PM

Thanks Smoothdancer. I'm looking forward to it. Better to go up vs. down in hurricane season!!! Winco7, what was it that was so bad? I've been on the NCL Star and Caribbean Princess both who had "Freestyle and Personal Choice" dining options which I enjoyed. I know I'll enjoy the cruise as this trip the ports of call are what I'm looking forward to vs my other cruises where the destination was the ship itself and man, did we enjoy both. I'm crossing my fingers on this one. Sounds like as they get older, the cruise lines just stop caring about service. I hope this doesn't happen on mine.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 AM

To 3rdtimesacharm; sorry for the delay, I have been following the developments regarding the fate of the Norway. Suggest you check that thread, as there is allot of inside information regarding NCL / Star Cruise Lines, and it reflects the direction they are going. It helped answer my questions regarding the overall cruise experience we had.
Now, to briefly answer your question, what did we not like, first off the hectic pace of the cruise. It seemed we were always on the move, and had little time for ports of call. After 2 days at sea, we had 4 hours to see Jamaica (10:00 am to 2:00 pm), yet our next port of call was Grand Caymen, only 8 hours away. We also got to enjoy all of 4 hrs. in Nasau, leaving there at 1:00 PM. while all the other cruise lines were there for the whole day. For me, visiting new places is half the thrill of a cruise, but there is little to see and do in such a short time. I doubt the people that opperate the shore excursions were that happy, as there was no time for passangers to go on any of them, and if they did, they received the abreviated, rushed tour.
Grand Cayman was another story. Picture this, nearly 300 people on a small tender for a 2 mile trip to the pier, and not one life jacket on the boat. Quite frankly, it scared the hell out of me, and I'm a good swimmer. I made a point of expressing my concerns when I got back on the ship, but heard absolutely nothing about my complaint. In my mind, that is a serious safety issue, and told me allot about how NCL cares about its guests safety.
The service in the dining room was poor at best, and it usually took over 2 hours to have dinner. The first night, we didn't even get seated for an hour. My wife also just loved the lobster tail, served with gravy poured over it.
NOT ! What ever happened to lobster serve with drawn butter. The only good meal we had on the entire 11 day cruise, was when we paid the $25 apiece to dine in La Bristo. It appears, to get the food and service one is used to in the past, you must now pay extra. Oh, my wife had lobster there also, and it was served with the butter, so they do know how to serve it.
If you wish to take in the entertainment poolside, it is my advice to bring ear plugs, as the band feels 110 dbl. sound is the way to make the people happy. I questioned the sound level to the cruise director, and was shocked to hear him reply, "It's not that loud yet, just wait till they really get loud". Needless to say, we left to the quiet of our cabin immediately. I should mention, my wife and I are only in our 50's, so it was not a senior moment thing. Other guests with us were driven away by the "Noise", as well as many others. Just who are they trying to impress ? I really felt sorry for the people that paid the Big Bucks for the Garden Villa suites, as the speakers were right in front of their windows.

All in all, it was not one major thing that caused us to be unhappy with NCL, but a lot of minor things, which added up to a major disappointment. Freestyle is nice, but when it means a loss of quality service, it is not worth it. Ask yourself this, would you rather go to a nice restaurant, and enjoy a quality meal, or do you prefer the service and food of say a McDonalds. We made our choice, our next cruise is booked on Celebrity.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:07 AM

Have you considered Celebrity out of Bayonne? We were on the Constellation and it's gorgeous and the service was incredible!
May 2006 Zenith to Bermuda
June 2006 Carnival Legend 8 nite
Sept 25,2006 Carnival Legend
Oct 29,2006 NCL Spirit (11 nite)
Feb 4, 2007 Carnival Legend
May14-25th,2007 3 B2B on Carnival Fascination
Sept 24,2007 Carnival Miracle
Nov 7,2007 Carnival Miracle
Jan 14 Fascination
Jan 18 Miracle
Future cruises:
Feb 25 Fascination
April 21 B2B Imagination
Sept 7,'08 Legend
Old 07-16-2006, 11:37 AM

I have been on 21 cruises 3 times on the Dawn #4 coming in August,I really dont know what people expect on a cruise, dollar wise it is the best vacation around. I have been on the Dawn when they had 800 children aboard, I had trouble believing it I could not find them, they have an excellent childrens program, They take the children from 9 to 12, 2 to 5 & 7 to 10. I think this ship is great especially out of N.Y&,

Closed Thread