Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 06:57 PM

I consider myself a veteran cruiser too with 10 cruises under my belt. But I have a two part question for you guys.

I have found it pretty common for cruise lines to either upgrade you to a higher category cabin or give you an on-board credit when the cost for the cabin that you booked is reduced.

1st question: Is this as common as I think?

2nd question: Has this been common with NCL?

I am booked for a cruise in October on NCL. When I checked recently I found that the cost for a cabin that is 9 categories higher than the cabin I booked is now about $140 cheaper. When NCL was asked about an upgrade or a on-board credit they refused.

If anyone has had much experience on upgrades I'd like to hear from you.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 PM
My understanding is that once you are past the final payment date, or as they say, "into the penalty phase", no adjustments are made. They may have dropped the price of the catagory to which you refer, but If your cruise is in October, you should be well past the final payment date and not elgible for an upgrade or onboard credit.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:44 AM

That may be the case. If it is, I don't think they should have a promo on their site saying "Pity the procastinator" and talking about the value of booking early. Where's the value? Had I procrastinated rather than booking in June I could have been in a 9 category higher cabin for less money. It looks like it PAYS to procrastinate.

I know on my last cruise with Carnival it was close to time to sail when we received a $250 per cabin on-board credit. If this kind of "service" is common with NCL I imagine this will be my first and last cruise with them.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:27 AM

Unfortunately its like that with a lot of travel now. I always get "E saver" promotions from airlines for dratically reduced airfare if I can travel in the next week or so. They certainly don't offer people that are already booked those cheaper fares. They are trying to fill the plane, just like NCL is trying to fill the ship. If you really want the cheapest fare you will have to take your chances and wait and see what is available closer to your sailing date. You run the risk of not getting what you want though. I know someone that ONLY buys those last minute deals. She may not get the ships or itineraries she wants, but she always gets a GREAT fare!

It just depends on what your priorities are.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:33 AM

That may be the case with NCL. But I know I've received some kind of credit at least 3 different times on other cruise lines. I do appreciate your input though.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
My understanding is that once you are past the final payment date, or as they say, "into the penalty phase", no adjustments are made.
Depends on the timing and the cruise line. I've often gotten refunds for my clients, when the price of their category has dropped even after final payment time.

If the cruise line has lowered the price of your category "for new bookings only," they're less likely to make any changes.

Sandy
Old 09-08-2007, 07:49 AM

Our final payment is due with NCL on Monday .I saw that the price had dropped,I asked my TA to cancel & rebook us at the new price , (they have done this on previous bookings) she told me that N'CL said the reduction was for new bookings only & if they caught someones name later who had rebooked. they would charge their credit card at the full price . is this legal ?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:59 AM

Don't know if it's legal or not. I do know the history we've had with Carnival though. They've given us at least 3 upgrades over the last 12 years. In Feb. of this year we had 3 cabins an all 3 received a $250 on-board cridit. There is still time for something this time but they've told our TA that they would make no adjustments and they've not even acknowledged my e-mail of Wednesday. I think I know who I'll cruise with next time.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:30 AM

Yes I agree with you about who you will cruise with , I see on NCl that they have a special deal about procrastinators etc, & when you start looking at the prices etc it says you cannot cacel & rebook to get the special or you will lose previous discounts!!! I guess this is the new management company who have invested a few million in NCL !! until one of the other lines decides not to penalize customers who book early & give them interest free money (via deposits )they will continue to get away with it.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:42 PM
I just had the opposite situation...I booked my Pearl Cruise for January in June....and now the price has risen $150....but they didn't charge me extra....when you book early some of the value is in the knowledge that you will be on the ship.....we've waited until the last minute on some cruises and didn't go because they were full....But have a great cruise anyway and I'm sure the funtime and the ship will ease your concern....Happy Sailing...

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, cruisers, review, veteran