Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 07:04 PM

My friends and I are looking to book a cruise in August and have found some great deals on NCL. Our only concern is we have heard that NCL attracts an older crowd. Can anybody give me an input into this matter? Thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Banned

Francesca718:

As an avid cruiser of NCL, the ship you choose will make a difference. I would suggest the NCL Jewel or NCL Pearl. They are the newest, the nicest lounges, Bliss on the Pearl is very contempary and YOUNG. The decor of the ship is hip, and I am sure that you can have a fun time. Allot will depend on your group that you have, and the type of activites that you wish to do. Crusing is what you make it. You might find low prices for the NCL Dream, and as a young person age 20's would NOT suggest the NCL Dream. It's an older ship that attracts an older passenger. The lounges on the Jewel and Pearl are all upscale, fun and modern. The night time activities, and dance floors are great. Cruise prices vary from the older ship to the newer ships. We got a great deal for the NCL Dream,( about $400 per person ) but it was an older ship. On the Pearl we spent five times that amount and had a Penthouse suite which was fantastic. Do your research and ask lots of questions. There are some very good members here on cruise-chat.com that can help with their opinions and past cruising experiences. Perhaps you can let us know what your young group of cruisers expects from the cruise, what kinds of activities you seek and the your interests for ports of call.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Hi Francesca, and welcome to cruise-chat.

My niece is in her early 20s and loves NCL. She is presently on Norwegian Dream in the western Caribbean, and traveled on Norwegian Crown to Bermuda two years ago. She had also tried to book Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda last year, but the cruise was sold out. Note that these are NCL's oldest ships -- and she loved them.

I disagree that an older ship attracts an older crowd. The itinerary, cruise length, and time of year have more of an influence, at least in my experience. As you are planning for August, you will see more families like mine (30s/40s with kids from toddlers/college) as schools are out.

I do agree with Richard & Mary that a cruise is what you make of it. And, as you'll be traveling with friends, I'm sure you'll have a good time no matter which ship you select.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM

I was on the Dream (Texaribbean) in February. This is my observation (not my opinion)

Nice cruise and we had a ton of fun. YES, Old ship....old crowd. The ship is a ghost town after 11:00pm. There's the odd crooner lizarding at the disco looking for a party...but it never really gets going. The SportsDeck's Karaoke is allways full.....but it too is a geriatric ward. Even the "name that tune" contest is mostly tunes from the 40's and 50's. It's a great cruise at a great rate....(entry level)but you won't find a lot of 20-somethings. Go with Carnival for the younger crowd. Have fun.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 PM

Francesca,
I am a new cruiser with only four cruises under my belt and have little experience to draw from. As they have said, cruising is what you make it. You have to take into consideration what is important to you. Your likes and dislikes may be different than everyone elses. I personlly like good service, good food, good entertainment, but still at an affordable price. I have yet to experience NCL,Princess,or Celebrity. However, you will find out that older people can be great fun, have great conversation, and a world of experience. In the same token, they can dull and stuck on their ways. Young people can be fun, energetic, and lots of fun. Then again, they can be obnoxiuos, egotistical, and even rude. So please don't let this stop you. I know I have said much, but told you little. Just remember this, you will have your friends with you so you are guaranteed that any cruise you take you will have great company, and lots of laughs. Good luck in choosing a cruise line. I wish you a great cruise and a wonderful experience
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Sovereign of the Seas 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 4/08
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 AM

well said NIca.....i didn't mention that we made many new friends with the older crowd. Even the seniors can get a little rowdy here and there. Cheers!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
We were on the Dream in January and it was very much a Senior Cruise....Being one myself, it was a very nice restful cruise....not much night action but a cruise is what you make out of it....Party On!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 AM

We have been on the Dawn and Star the last couple of years. The Star is definitely a more cheerie and livelier atmosphere even though the average age was around the same (30's). I think this more had to do with the energy put on by the ship staff.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

Fransesca. We just got off of the NCL Sun. It was Spring Break week for many, and the ship was packed with every age group (toddlers to College spring breakers). I think there were more "young" than "old". I think a lot depends on the time of year you sail, no matter what the cruise line is. If you go during a holiday week, expect families. If you are off season, Carnival may be your best bet for younger people. Again, my opinion and experience for what it's worth.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Administrator

My niece (who I wrote about earlier) just returned from Norwegian Dream, and had about the same assessment as carlg did about Norwegian Sun. Time of year is a significant factor.

Closed Thread

Tags
20s, break, carnival, college, crowd, cruise, cruisers, jewel, line, ncl, norwegian, review, ships, slides, spring, younger