Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 11:40 PM

Our second trip on the Wind. This was quite different from our Hawaii cruise - in quality.

On this first cruise of the year to the north, one might expect some shakedown problems, but here Murphy was dominant.
It is not the fault of the cruiseline that the weather was cold, rainy and misty. It is, however, the fault of someone that the food services were chaotic. Lunchtime at sea with half the restaurants closed. People were sitting on window ledges eating. Others were carrying their plates around the lounges looking for somewhere to sit.
Hygiene? On one occasion, in the sports bar and grill, when the ship gave a lurch a large pile of plates fell onto the floor. The staff picked them up and continued serving on to them.

Menus were still pretentious and the attempts to cater to ethnic tastes were not all that successful.
What was listed as "Traditional English fish and chips" was tiny bits of fish shrivelled in batter. When I commented to the waitress that the cook was obviously not English, she smiled and said, No, they are Philipino fish and chips. Ravioli was nothing like ravioli.
NCL, stop pretending. The fact that the sports bar and grill was always overcrowded should indicate that a lot of people would rather see food they know rather than wait for whatever appears on the plate when ordered from those strange sounding menus.

Perhaps the planners should realize that a lot of cruisers are retired, and most of us old folk are on restricted diets. It is very difficult to exercise any control when faced with strange sauces and juices on ones chunk of protein. And the sparcity of vegetables does not make for a balanced diet

In general, the front-line staff were helpful and cheerful, especially the dining roon staff, despite being overworked. But there do appear to be problems with the behind-the-scenes decision makers.

We did hear complaints because we did not get to see the Sawyer Glacier, but these were unjustified. There was too much ice on the water to get to the top of the fjord and the captain put safety first.

Someone, in another posting, has asked about steadiness of these ships. Sailing at almost 20 knots in 30 knot winds the Wind was steady and comfortable. There were occasional lurches which might upset one's walking or one's pile of plates, but hardly noticeable when seated.

Cruising in this remote area, far from towns, notices were posted warning us that terrorism alert was "Elevated" That made us feel quite excited! I am happy to report that we were not attacked by Iranian warships.

This posting is not intended to be a carping session. After all, the most one can hope for is that one gets what one pays for. And NCL is near the bottom of that list.
It is in the hope that someone from NCL might see it and take notice.

Bryan Fox
Old 05-10-2006, 04:05 AM

hi bryan,
i am following the ncl web cam for the wind, at the moment its on a picture from saturday 6th may and not changing the picture is not very nice!.
anyway just read your review and im so glad someone has wrote a review on just comming back from alaska on the wind, i am travelling on the wind in 2weeks to alaska i really hope the weather is better im really hoping as we have spent a lot of money on this, do u know if the weather will improve?
also i am so looking forward to the food, i hope it is as in the brochure
did u do any excursions? im planning to do the mendenall glacier and whale watching cruise in janeu, and white pass senic railway in skagway, are they worth it? did u speak to anyone who done those excursions?
also im on deck 4 was the movement harsh?
did u see any glaciers/whales thats what im going for!
please tell me as much as you can from this cruise so i know what to expect.
shall we complain if we are not happy with anything? ( i have never made a compalaint before, too shy!)
Old 05-12-2006, 08:43 PM

We leave from Vancouver on the Wind leaving Sunday. Sorry to hear your weather was not too good. Do you know if outside cabins on deck 5 have a fridge? While we have formal clothes we aren't planning to take them. Were the people on your cruise dressed more casually?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 AM
I have not done the Wind to Alaska but I did do the Wind to Hawaii April 1 so I can answer a few questions. We also stayed on the 4th floor. This is the bottom floor. We had two portholes. I believe staff may even stay on this floor as the inside rooms across from us all staff members only. Too many of them to be stock rooms or storerooms. We were aft on the port side 4044. We definitely could here the engines but you get used to it. We always walked down the stairs even from 12th floor and would take the elevator up sometimes. Good way to burn calories from all that food! We even wore podomiters. On port days we averaged 10 miles and on sea days we averaged 3-6 miles. The elevators are the smallest I have seen on a ship. 6-8 people crammed in and I mean crammed! Too many and the lights and buzzers go off. If someone is in a wheelchair or cart that number goes down to one or two. Just easier to take the stairs. The GYM was a joke! very small and many broke. At night the staff use the gym. As for the food make sure you try the La Bistro at least once. It is well worth the $10.00 per person. If you book the first night (if they are not sold out) it is only $5.00 per person. The service is wonderful and the food was Exceptional! Only downfall is there are no windows so you don't have any views. If you like steak this will be the only restaurant you will really find steak. I belive they offered a ribeye which was very good. The other restaurants will offer you sliced beef in gravy or something like that. We only ate there once but I wish we had booked another night or two. As for formal night it was optional. For Hawaii we decided for a change it would be Hawaiian shirts and flip flops all the way. This was the type vacation we wanted. Maybe half dressed up and half did not. Formal was anywhere from a suit to tux but very few tuxedos were seen. Women wore anything from a nice pantsuit to a formal gown. I was originally told that certain restaurants would be designated for formal and the others for casual. This was not the case. All restaurants were optional dress. If don't agree with this. If I dressed up I would not want to be sitting with or around peope who did not. Why bother then! Some said they dressed up for one night only. We had two formal nights. Over heard one man say we carried all these clothes to wear for one hr. The biggest advise I can give you is bring a 32 oz cup. Other than at meal time the only place you can get a FREE drink is at the Pizzaria. Water, nasty instant iced tea or coffee. The water and tea goes into (I kid you not!)a 4 oz cup. Two swigs and its gone. Bring your own. We are not big drinkers. We had maybe one or two a day usually in the evening. We brought a 12 pack of diet coke on the ship but still bought several on the ship. Easier than going back to the room but nice to have in the room. There will be a bottle of water in your room but if you open it the charge is $4.50. I saw people bring cases of water on the ship. There is plenty at the pizzaria and it is FREE! At least on Carnival they have several refreshment stations and also offer lemonade and give you 8 or 12 oz cups. Have fun! I hope the weather will be better for you.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:45 AM

hi sandee
thanks so much for all that advise much appreciated,
im definetly gonna book the le bristro restaurant now
i really hope the weather is nice
by the way whats been your favourite cruise so far,?
Old 05-13-2006, 02:17 PM

I was on Wind in March-good weather,free ice cream,5th level-no problem,gyms-2- small but well equipped,Le Bistro very good,food generally good,BBQ great!!!!Every day for 12 days!!!!Lounges,entertainment very good. I rate cruise 8 out out of 10!i saw whales from the gym in Maui!!! Alaska-not for me-weather bad,nasty,cold,excursions so-so. Hawaii excursions top notch.wEATHER WAS 80 EVERY DAY,MOSTLY SUNNY!!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:43 PM
I don't know if I have a favorite. Each cruise has its good points and bad points. I have been only on 3. RCCL Vision of the Seas had the best entertainment and the best food. Also we had the best wait staff and room steward. Loved having an indoor pool. Weather is not always good. I will do RCCL to Alaska for this reason. Carnival had the best pizza and ice cream 24hrs. On this cruise I had all my kids and grandkids so that made the cruise very special. Also I feel they had something for all ages. On the NCL Wind they had alot of things to do. So many I could not do them all. If I could take the things I liked about each ship and make one that would be the perfect ship. Next I will do a Princess cruise. Trying them all before I start a second go round.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaskan, cruises, steadiness