Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 07:14 AM

I got an email from NCL last night offering to "upgrade" us from our GG cabin to a DD cabin for a sum of money. I won't say the sum but it was not a no-brainer amount, it reqiured thinking.

I checked on-line and I can't tell any real physical difference between the 2 categories.. (at least not enough to warrant the extra $$)

Is this just a tactic NCL uses to get you to pay more for your cruise? Do they do this often?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-08-2006, 07:14 AM

I got an email from NCL last night offering to "upgrade" us from our GG cabin to a DD cabin for a sum of money. I won't say the sum but it was not a no-brainer amount, it reqiured thinking.

I checked on-line and I can't tell any real physical difference between the 2 categories.. (at least not enough to warrant the extra $$)

Is this just a tactic NCL uses to get you to pay more for your cruise? Do they do this often?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

Old 09-08-2006, 09:27 AM

Hi Jim:

Well, that is interesting. The only real difference I see is that they're offering you a cabin on a lower deck than you started out with since DD is only on the Atlantic Deck and GG is on Promenade and Norway. Perhaps there is an “unobstructed” versus “obstructed view” situation going on.

I don't know if you read my post about my deal I got for an upgrade. We're on the Spirit on 9/30 and they offered us an upgrade from a "C" ocean view to a "BA" Balcony for an additional $250. That WAS a no-brainer! I'm curious why they're offering you such a limited upgrade.

Of course you could always call and talk to them and see if they can offer you more. Generally I've found that they'll be as accommodating as they're able to be within certain parameters.

You'll have a great time anyway but as we've all said before, the cabin isn't as important as the cruise and unless you can see a real difference, save your $$! They're hard earned like mine I'd wager!

As I said, $250 to go from deck 6 ocean view to deck 11 Balcony (the highest balcony category I might add) was a no-brainer for us.

Happy Sailing!

-Darryl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-08-2006, 12:12 PM

Darryl-

That was exactly my thought. If it was a balcony upgrade like yours, it would have been a no brainer. I planned on calling to disucss, but lik eyou pointed out, going from deck 8 to deck 6 fo $200? Surely there is a mistake.

Thanks, I was just trying to figure out if this was standard procedure trying to get people to pay more for the same thing... I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Ok.. no mistake.. the DD and our GG are the same size cabin (152 sq ft), the only difference would be view. A DD is not obstructed. No way am I paying $200 extra to be able to see some water... I asked if they had any better offers but not at this time.. maybe closer to the cruise date I'll try again.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 PM

Hi Jim:

LOL! Yeah, just to see unobstructed water...save your $$! I think too that no matter how often they clean I would imagine the ocean view windows get quite coated with spray and then what's the point? At least with a balcony you are "out there".

Please do let me know what happens, as you say, maybe closer in. You leave 7 days after me so maybe next week you'll get the same notice that I did.

Have fun!

-Darryl

Old 09-08-2006, 08:43 PM

The Dream is smaller than the Spirit isn't it? She claimed that there wasn't much else to upgrade me too since we are a family of 4 and there were only so many cabins that would sleep 4. I said a big balcony or a suite would... Anything bigger than 152 sq ft would be better. She didn't have a sense of humor there though. I'll try again, but a cruise is a cruise. As long as I have a place to sleep and shower.. I'm happy

Old 09-09-2006, 12:54 PM

Hi Jim:

Yes, Spirit is quite a bit bigger I believe and as she is more modern they did build with more balconies and suites and also more family friendly accommodations.

Still, I consider myself quite lucky since there are not a huge number of "BA" balconies (that I could see on the deck plan) that suit parties larger than two. Since we are three it was certainly luck and timing.

As you noted, a cruise is a cruise. We weren't planning on spending much more time than showering and sleeping [in the cabin] but since we did have this bit of luck, I'm sure they'll be some nice [continental] breakfasts on the balcony. We always seem to miss the main dining room breakfast and I'm not too fond of the buffets at any time (except “chocoholic” of course) so we'll enjoy the extra space and our own private breakfast nook by the sea.

You never know something good still may turn up [for you] if you're persistent enough!

Have fun...we're counting the days to our cruise and of course the closing on our house which is two days before!

I still can’t figure our which I’m looking forward to most…the house…but we’ll have that forever, the limo ride to NYC (I have to admit, it’s going to be such fun turning heads and seeing how many people notice us onboard as ‘the three guys in the limo’) or the cruise itself! Okay ALL THREE!

-Darryl

Old 09-09-2006, 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul & Darryl:
Hi Jim:

Yes, Spirit is quite a bit bigger I believe and as she is more modern they did build her with more balconies and suites and also more family friendly accommodations.

Still, I consider myself quite lucky since there are not a huge number of "BA" balconies (that I could see on the deck plan) that suit parties larger than two. Since we are three it was certainly luck and timing.

As you noted, a cruise is a cruise. We weren't planning on spending much more time than showering and sleeping [in the cabin] but since we did have this bit of luck, I'm sure they'll be some nice [continental] breakfasts on the balcony. We always seem to miss the main dining room breakfast and I'm not too fond of the buffets at any time (except “chocoholic” of course) so we'll enjoy the extra space and our own private breakfast nook by the sea.

You never know something good still may turn up [for you] if you're persistent enough!

Have fun...we're counting the days to our cruise and of course the closing on our house which is two days before!

I still can’t figure our which I’m looking forward to most…the house…but we’ll have that forever, the limo ride to NYC (I have to admit, it’s going to be such fun turning heads and seeing how many people notice us onboard as ‘the three guys in the limo’) or the cruise itself! Okay ALL THREE!

-Darryl

Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 PM

Please ignore the preceeding...DOH!

I was trying to correct a typo and "replied with quote" instead...long day!

Closed Thread

Tags
dd, ncl, stateroom