Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
We spent a lovely week on the Dawn. We have always traveled on Celebrity, so we wanted tor try another line. The Dawn is a beautiful ship. Leaving out of New York and going past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is quite dramatic, lots of fantastic photo opportunities. We had 2 very nice days at sea before arriving in Royal Naval Dockyard. What a convenient port with everything right there. Bus and Ferry passes for $12 a day, how easy that was. We did make it to the Swizzle Inn and we had a nice toast to BillyBuzzy and his fare Lass. I also toasted to Penny and that we both continue to cruise ever chance we have and stay healthy. I love Bermuda and can't wait to go back in May. The Dawn had some very good entertainment. We tried a couple of specialty restaurants and my favorite was the French one, Le Bistro and Gagney's was also very good :0). We had breakfast in the Main Dining room and several times for Dinner the was good, not over the top but good. The Crew and Staff were all very accommodating and friendly. I can honestly say that Freestyle, while a lot of people love it, it was not really for us. I really did miss the same table and same waiters. I didn't like have to make a reservation everyday and sometimes the phone was busy for a very long time. No reservations in the Main Dinning room from 7 to 8:30 PM it is a first come first served at the time. The formal day was a "Dress up Or Not" that seemed funny to see people in gowns and people behind them in line in shorts and flip flops, but everyone was having a great time! My least favorite was the Buffet, it was fine but I did prefer the Dining room food. All in all we loved the Dawn and sailing out of NY was very nice the destination of Bermuda is a Win Win, what a lovely place and with NCL you do get 3 full days there, I would go again in a second !!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 10-17-2009, 03:00 PM

It was nice to read about your cruise on the Dawn. We were on it for our first time this past March and met many cruisers who had been on the Dawn for several cruises. It's always enjoyable to read about someone's adventures on a familiar ship. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip.
Judy
Old 10-17-2009, 10:39 PM
janfred - Welcome home from your cruise to the Onion Patch aboard the Dawn!! She is still a great ship with her own unique ambiance and a good choice for a Bermuda cruise. Those days in port make a fantastic way to visit and enjoy!!
Thanks for the Rum Swizzle in our names - Jean and I were there with you (in spirit)! I guess you are Onions now also!!

I won't be able to get back to Bermuda till 2011 but the granchildren will be with me so my No. 1 will, in her own way,be there too!! It's a different flavor when you go in the spring on the Mercury - you will enjoy it from a different perspective!!

Glad you are back with us safely!! Keep the seaweed between your toes!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Here it is the Old Swizzle Inn !! Thank you KraftInc and BillyBuzzy. It was all so delightful!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 10-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Welcome home! I was thinking of you and hoping you were having a wonderful time on your cruise. Thank you for the report.

You mentioned that you enjoyed the entertainment. Who was onboard for your cruise?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks Lisap,
We liked the Comedian Dave Heenan, he was very funny and we went to 2 of his shows. I loved Fire and Ice, a women singer who not only looked like Tina Tufrner but sounded just like her, she was wonderful. They had while in port the Bermuda "Gomey Dancer" they perform a Folkloric show. The Bollywood Show was fantastic I believe it was the NCL group, they go by the name of The Jean Ann Ryan Company. They did have a Magic Act, Roy Shank but we missed it. One other guy by the name of Bernie Martini who sounded like Frank Sinatra was great. Bollywood and Fire and Ice my favorites !!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 10-18-2009, 06:56 PM
janfred - Thank You for the updated photo of the Swizzle Inn, not too much has changed in its appearance (The roof got washed! -Don't laugh it's a serious thing in Bermuda!)

We love comedian Dave Heenan - as you know he is hilarious and very personable - he is everywhere on the ship and always approachable! It is rumored he will be entertaining on the NCL Epic -he will add to her appeal tremendously!

BillyBuzzy
Old 10-18-2009, 10:06 PM

Welcome back Jan! Sounds like you had a great time.

Thanks for the review and the picture!

Dwayne
Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Welcome home, janfred Thank you so much for the great review! Thank you so much for the toast, too! Did you get to Horseshoe Beach? I haven't been there in years, but it will always stick in my mind. Sorry you didn't like FreeStyle. We always ask to share, so we get to meet more people on board. Sometimes it's not such a good thing, but sometimes it's great fun. I am really looking forward to the entertainment on the Epic and on the Solstice. Of course, I'm just looking forward to getting on a ship! Now, all you have to do is make it through a few months of cruddy weather, and you'll be off again
Old 10-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks Penny,
WOW, only 53 more days and you will be in Heaven, the Solstice is so darn awesome, can't wait to hear your thoughts on that ship. We did not get to Horseshoe Beach this time but I know why that sticks in your mind, it is beautiful. I went the first time because in Conde Nest it was voted one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I only have 128 more days, it is nice to leave to a warm place in Feb. I am keeping my eye on your Cruise Ticker it is so exciting!

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
aboard, cruise, dawn, gagneys, ship