Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Ok here goes, was on another cruise chat room, and they said NCL just called and offered them a upgrade, is this something a person has to wait for, ncl to call you, or can a person call NCL and ask if they have any upgrade's avaible?
Don't understand I guess why they call some ppl and not others LOL
Wendy
Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned

Upgrades are often confused with Upsells.

What your web friend received was a call from NCL's very small Upsell department. They call you, they do not accept calls.

Upsells are offered to just a few because there's usually only a few empty, expensive cabins (meaning suites) left to sell. Let's assume there's an empty, unsold owner's suite. The Upsell department will offer it to someone who had booked a penthouse suite for 50% the difference. Then they will offer the penthouse suite to someone who had booked a mini suite. The idea is to open up a cheaper cabin that can be sold at the last minute easier. Most will not be offered an upsell because there aren't that many owner's and penthouse suites aboard NCL ships. 50 suites at most, when most NCL ships have 1000 to 1400 cabins.

Upgrades are usually free, and given to those who booked with a cabin guarantee. Guarantee cabins are usually the cheapest cabins in a class. There's just a few (most likely just 4 cabins). For example, there's 4 BE balcony cabins on the Spirit. If they assign you a BD balcony cabin, that's considered an Upgrade.

Whether you get offered an Upsell or not depends upon what cabin is empty, and what you had booked. The likely-hood that NL will offer an owner's suite upsell to someone who had booked an oceanview is extremely small.

While a few other lines might move passengers into empty more expensive suites, NCL prefers to sell them at a significant discount to those who have already booked a cabin.

As I wrote before, the Upsell department is really small, and can't handle many incoming calls. They really don't like incoming calls. and might place you on a "do not call ever list" if you pester them with many incoming calls.

What you can do is pay the full price between what you have already booked and what you want from NCL's regular booking department, or from your travel agent, before Final Payment day.

They really don't offer that many Upsells per cruise.

It's always best to book the class cabin you want from the start.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Administrator

We've been offered upsells on a couple of our NCL cruises. I always refused as I was either satisfied with my original cabin or because the new cabin would not be worth the $, IMO. For instance, a higher category does not necessarily mean a better location or larger amount of space.

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, bd, cabin, cabins, guarantee, ncl, offer, pay, room, stateroom, unsold, upgrade, upgrades, upsell, upsells