Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2004, 09:17 AM

My wife and I are in our early 30's and also have a 4 year old daughter. We've never cruised before and the 3 of us are trying to decide if we should take a 7 day Norwegian Dawn Cruise from NY City to the Bahamas in late April, May, or June. One thing that concerns me is that my wife gets SEVERE motion sickness really bad...Let me spell it out - REALLY REALLY BAD motion sickness. On airplanes she is almost incompacitated. She has to use Dramamine and the wrist bands to help. Consequently, we do not fly that often, hence why were thinking of taking a cruise from NY (we live in NJ). We both will probably be taking "the patch" if we go. Does anyone know if the Norwegian Dawn rocks/rolls or has significant motion? Has anyone cruised out of NY? If so, was the Atlantic Seas rough? We cannot really afford to spend a lot of money and the 3 of us would have to stay in an inside room. Do you recommend a room that we should try to get? (i.e. what deck, location of the ship, and what room should be ok for 2 adults and a 4 year old, as well has having the least amount of motion)? We appreciate any advice?

Thanks,
Riesek
Freehold, NJ
Old 02-14-2004, 09:17 AM

My wife and I are in our early 30's and also have a 4 year old daughter. We've never cruised before and the 3 of us are trying to decide if we should take a 7 day Norwegian Dawn Cruise from NY City to the Bahamas in late April, May, or June. One thing that concerns me is that my wife gets SEVERE motion sickness really bad...Let me spell it out - REALLY REALLY BAD motion sickness. On airplanes she is almost incompacitated. She has to use Dramamine and the wrist bands to help. Consequently, we do not fly that often, hence why were thinking of taking a cruise from NY (we live in NJ). We both will probably be taking "the patch" if we go. Does anyone know if the Norwegian Dawn rocks/rolls or has significant motion? Has anyone cruised out of NY? If so, was the Atlantic Seas rough? We cannot really afford to spend a lot of money and the 3 of us would have to stay in an inside room. Do you recommend a room that we should try to get? (i.e. what deck, location of the ship, and what room should be ok for 2 adults and a 4 year old, as well has having the least amount of motion)? We appreciate any advice?

Thanks,
Riesek
Freehold, NJ
Old 02-14-2004, 06:02 PM

Riesek,
You are indeed brave parents. Staying mid-ship would be best, though we have been at both ends of the ship and more worry about having inside rooms (once spoiled by a balcony, most do not return to the inside). It depends on what you and your wife prefer, do you want to see outside or prefer to have a closed in space?

Instead of booking a 7 day cruise on the Dawn, why don't you book a three day, 2 night cruise to nowhere out of NYC and experience what "shiplife" is like. I know that Carnival runs those. Camp Carnival is a wonderful program for kids which your 4 year old would LOVE.

We took Carnival Victory out of NYC in '01 and went to Canada. The Atlantic Ocean is not a forgiving or predictable Ocean. We hit a fog bank and very rough seas. The boat will not "rock", it rather "drops", but it is much more stable than a plane. We got the "hippegippies" with the fog and ocean movements, but just directed our activties to inside the ship and we were fine.

We are booked to leave on the NCL Dawn on the 22nd. I just pray for no snowstorms...it would make the drive from NH to NYC just miserable.

My two boys and husband are hooked on cruising. My husband was the reluctant one till I got him on the Mardi Gras, then it was "Which ship is next?". Hope that feeling blesses your family. Happy sailing.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:14 PM

I would think one of Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships might be a good selection. They are huge and are rarely influenced by ocean swells.

I just got off the Vision of the Seas in an inside cabin on deck 3 that was both midship and also in a center hallway and felt little motion even though one evening, sea sicknesws bags were everywhere and the folks in the higher cabins either aft or forward were getting a spirited ride.

I would also agree with riesek that a 3 day cruise might be a good first introduction. Motion sickness can be really difficult to deal with should the ship start moving around.

Whatever you decide, be sure to have a great cruise experience.

Tom
Old 02-15-2004, 06:20 AM

We have just completed our 13th cruise, and we sailed from NYC on Norwegian Dawn's 11-day Southern Caribbean route.

I have had motion sickness only once, and it was because of rough seas. I took Dramamine, slept for several hours, and then was fine. I agree that booking your stateroom in the middle of the ship is one of the best ideas;I would recommend a lower deck, as there is less motion felt there if there are big seas; also, I understand there's a shot you can take that will help for the duration of the cruise.... I don't know anything about it, but I've talked to people who got it from the physician onboard....it's definitely something to talk to your doctor about.

There is child care available for children over 2, so if you want to do some things without your little one you'll be able to. But this is an educational experience, too, and you'll probably find that there are lots of things you'd rather do WITH your daughter.

I guess a 2 or 3-day cruise would be a good idea for the first time, and the idea of cruising out of New York makes sense because of where you live and not having to fly. However, to us a 7-day cruise is really a good minimum..... after all that work of packing and preparing, it's so nice to unpack once and enjoy the leisure of several days. Carnival does have a program that allows you to leave the ship at the first port and return home if the cruise is not to your liking. You might check their policy carefully and see if seasickness is included as a reason.

By the way, our son Jared is a travel agent... and a VERY GOOD one! If you would like to email him for information, he would be glad to help you book this cruise! He's knowledgeable and has taken many cruises..... and he knows the rules and ins and outs very well. If you tell him your situation, I'm sure he'll be most helpful as you make your decision.

Cruising, to me, is one of the most relaxing vacations. The ships are so large that it's hard to even notice the motion of the ship unless we're in extremely rough conditions.... and that rarely happens. Can't say never, of course! The shipboard activities are fun and entertaining; the food is fantastic; the ports of call are always colorful, interesting, and beautiful. If you find a cruise you'd like to take, we would be glad to tell you what we know about the island if it's a place we've been.

Good luck to you; hope you decide to give it a try. I'm so sure you'll be sold on cruising as a R & R (rest and relaxation) experience!

Jan
Old 03-01-2004, 06:46 AM

I disagree about trying a short cruise to nowhere to see if you get motion sickness. A shorter cruise may be on a smaller ship, which will be influenced more by the ocean than larger ships, and may turn you off to cruising before trying a larger ship. I've sailed out of NYC the last 3 years, on 3 different ships (the Dawn being one of them), and, using the patch, have not had any problem with motion sickness. Your best bet for cabin choice would be midship, on as low a deck as possible, and an exterior cabin.

Gary
Old 03-01-2004, 06:56 PM

There is a device available from Brookstone called the Relief Band. This is not to be confused with those magnetized wrist bands that purport to control motion sickness. This is a transcutaneous electronic nerve stimulator that stimulates the radial nerve on either the right or left hand, and is capable of being set at varying levels between 1 and 5.

My wife has always had motion sickness, and we've cruised twice without the band, and once with it. The Relief Band is the single best thing we have ever found for relieving motion sickness, and Brookstone has a 100% money back guarantee. If you are near a store, you can go get one, and if you are not, you can order one online from Brookstone.

This device is so great that it works on nausea not related to motion sickness. When my daughter came down with a stomach bug, we were able to use it to calm down her stomach. I have no affiliation with the company, and nothing to gain by telling you this. BUT, this device is TERRIFIC. If you use it, it won't matter where your cabin is, because it is a complete remedy. Also, you won't be drugged out or subject to moodswings like people get when they are on dramanine or meclezine.

For full information see http://www.reliefband.com/.

Happy sailing.

A. L. DeWitt
Old 03-03-2004, 05:05 PM

Riesek.....just came off of the Dawn's 2/22 cruise and i tried to typy a novel about it and it got "axed" for length. i would love to tell you about how bad that trip was as to rocking and rollin of the ship. and how so much you should not do this with your wife. i would also love to tell you about how WONDERFUL the ship and the crew was on the Dawn. (They have no controll over the weather).

we were late into NYC and i would love to hear from anyone on the 2/29 sailing on how their embarking went from NYC and what time the ship finally left, (we got into port 6 hours late)

let me know Sue
Old 03-04-2004, 08:19 AM

Suesun,

I am not sure how your article got axed? If it is too long for the form on CR then simply send it two parts. We will reassemble it here when we post it.

Tom
Old 03-04-2004, 01:38 PM

I have only been on one cruise and bought the cheapest cabin which was on the lowest deck, in the middle. We never felt anything. I did have a problem when we had to dock in the middle of the ferry and "tender" in, so that would be a problem. I think that was in St. Maarten. Stay low, stay in the middle. All the rooms are EXTREMELY small. I compared the square footage on NCL's inside rooms and they did not increase in size, just price.

Closed Thread

Tags
atlantic, bahamas, cruise, cruising, deck, motion, nj, ny, nyc, ocean, reviews, rough, seas, sickness, waters