Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 PM

Here's my dilemma. A group of us are going on NCL Cruise Nov. 14, 9 days. We booked in the spring time and total cost for 2 people including taxes/port charges is $1551 (inside cabin). NCL has dropped the prices an inside cabin in now 339/pp (not including taxes/port charges). Our travel agent has repeatedly tried to talk to ncl reps to get us all upgraded to oceanview rooms but ncl won't budge. One rep sarcastically told our agent "well do they want us to charge them more if the price were to go up after they booked?" Anyone have any experience with a price drop after they booked? Thanks for the help.

Read and post cruise reviews

Old 10-30-2008, 06:04 AM

Hi ffdoug, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Normally, the cruise lines are more than happy to reduce your fair. Since it is so close to sailing, they could at least offer you an on board credit. The oceanview rooms may be full, but if your travel agent asks for a credit, they might be willing to negotiate. You need to use the BB code for your ticker to work. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise, and once again welcome aboard! Hope you can at least get an on board credit, good luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 AM

On the whole we have had really good service with NCL, and just received upgrades and/or on board credits after cancelling our cruises and rebooking in Canadian Dollars. The one problem our travel agent could not solve was eventually addressed to our satisfaction after my wife was lucky enough to get to talk to a “nice” representative. Unfortunately not all representatives are made the same and are as courteous as others.

Keep trying, not sure you will get an ocean view but an onboard credit of a few hundred Dollars would be nice.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:25 AM

There are cruise lines that will lower your price right until sailing, some that will lower it until final payment is due, and some that won't lower it at all. This is really a shame, and harkens back to the time that folks were waiting until the last minute to book, assuming the prices in some categories would be lowered when the ship didn't fill up. This is why some cruise lines changed their policy to give you the lower price, since waiting until the last minute was wreaking havoc on their yield management.

I assume your travel agent has spoken to both her inside and outside sales reps. It's a very frustrating situation, especially when the agent is trying so hard to do the best job she can for her clients. Perhaps she can send a letter to some of NCL's suits, like the VP of Sales. It may not change anything, but she can register her complaint in writing, and let them know that, because she can't do the best possible job for her clients, she will look at all the other cruise lines first in the future before considering NCL.

Sandy
Old 10-30-2008, 12:41 PM
The one reason you book early is to make sure you will have a room and that you will actually be on the ship...Now with the said....I've run into the same situation with the price being reduced...BUT....have never been offered a reduction, nor did I look for one....The service agent from NCL was right in saying that if the price went up...should they charge you more..and the answer is no they wouldn't...maybe the agent could have been a little more sympathetic but I guess she wasn't. Your TA tired and that's what they are supposed to do....You could have waited and may not have gotten to go on the cruise after all...I've waited until the last minute at times and got some really good deals...but I can go on a days notice...I don't want to sound snippy, but at least you are cruising and that's the main thing..Have a Smashing Good Time...

Bob E
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
That sounds strange that NCL won't do anything, we have had good luck with them. On our 9/21/08 sailing they had a price drop a week before sailing and with one call to our TA she called NCL and 15min later we had a refund large enough to go from an inside to a balcony no questions asked. As someone else said call a VP or higher. On a different cruise and line their computer double booked us and double billed as well. That tooked about a month to get the refund. The TA we used on that trip talked to the cruise line President and when we got on board he had a $300.00 room credit waiting for us. So it does help to go above the cruise line agents. Keep trying I think NCL will do something.

Drew

Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 AM

Just for grins I went on NCL's website and on the Nov 14 sailing out of Miami on the Southern Caribbean itinerary (not sure if that's your sailing or not) you can get a category N guarentee for $329 pp, which comes out to $1120 with taxes, insurance and fuel surcharges. The higher category inside staterooms are of course higher priced. I can't remember what deck category N is on but it's probably deck 2 or 3. If you were to compare category to category you'd probably find that the price may not have changed much. I suspect that NCL does lower the price on the lower catergories as the sail date approaches just to fill the ship up. Still and all, from Rochester to the southern Caribbean in November? Priceless. (We've all ready had snow here in Vermont.)

Old 11-01-2008, 06:17 AM

I would to thank you all for the replies and thoughtful suggestions. I called NCL Friday to try again for an upgrade, but I found out that they increased the price. An oceanview cabin is now selling for $699. We will try our luck when we get on board the Jewel. 14 days to go can't come fast enough!! I'll post a post trip report to let you all know if we received anything. Happy Cruisin!!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:07 AM
fffdoug,

You will really like the Jewel...it's a great ship....I'm off in January for my 3rd ride on the Pearl, her sister ship...I was on the Jewel when it was only 5 weeks old...How can anyone not have a good time on a cruise in the winter...Burrrrrrrrrr...I've been in the Caribbean 15 times and have never seen SNOW...
Happy Sailing..

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, drop, drops, lines, lower, minute, norwegian, price, prices, pricing, reduce, refund, room, ship, week