Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 03:04 PM

Does anyone know what happened to the Pride of America inaugural NY sailing? I received an email today from my travel agent saying it was canceled, but no further explanation was given.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:54 PM

Nanakuli,

welcome to Cruise-Chat.com.

I understand that while the sailing itself has not been cancelled, it has been turned into a "non-revenue" sailing, i.e. for the media representatives, travel agents and invited guests only.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 03-16-2005, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the information, Raoul.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:17 AM

Raoul,

Do you know if the Pride of America will do an inaugural in the UK, as stated in NCL's press release below? I received an email this morning saying the first passenger cruise will be 6/25/05 from Miami, but this contradicts the info in the press release.

"Miami - February 11, 2005 -- This week, Pride of America left the dry dock at Lloyd Werft and is now alongside the outfitting pier at the German shipyard. Sea trials are scheduled from May 19 through May 22 and NCL America will take delivery of Pride of America on June 6, 2005. After a series of inaugural events and cruises in the U.K. and the U.S. mainland, Pride of America will sail to Honolulu where she will be based year round beginning July 23, 2005. She joins NCL America's first U.S.-flagged ship, Pride of Aloha, which began sailing seven-day round-trip Hawai`i voyages last July."

Thank you,

Mary Phillips
Old 03-16-2005, 09:41 AM

Mary,

I suppose that any cruises from the UK would be "non-revenue" ones. Likely there will also be an inaugural event in Bremerhaven.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 03-16-2005, 10:35 AM

Thank you, Raoul. I think I will give up the idea of sailing on the Pride of America for now.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Mary,

I just hope she's nicer on the inside than her exteriors are. I've seen her so many times under construction throughout the last years, I'm really tired of her ultra-boxy look already.

She is sure to claim the title for the ugliest cruise ship ever built.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 03-17-2005, 09:46 AM

Oh, that's funny, Raoul! If I am remembering correctly, isn't this the hull that was started over 10 years ago by a company that went bankrupt? Then, NCL bought it many years later. I guess it's like buying a foundation of a house and having to build on what is already there.

Thanks for the info - I have found that cruise lines are no help when it comes to getting information on new ships.

Mary
Old 03-17-2005, 11:34 AM

Mary,

she was ordered as American Classic Voyages' first "Project America" ship and construction on her began in 2001 at Ingalls Shipbuilding, Pascagoula, Mississippi.

AMCV went bankrupt within weeks of September 11th, and in 2002 NCL acquired the unfinished hulk and all materials for the intended second ship. The latter one will not be built, however, and the materials are being used for "Pride of Hawaii", which will be a different design.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 03-24-2005, 08:05 PM

I was hired by NCL America for the Hawaiian Cruises & then never heard from them.....Any info on how the company is doing financially? Any information at all would be appreciated. Please email directly: mandirowe@charter.net

Closed Thread