Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Norwegian Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Hey everybody,

I'm looking into booking a 1st cruise and have a delema. We're planning to go to Alaska in July and there are two possibilities we're considering: NCL SUN or Wind. First of all, we won't be booking balcony, but oceanview. Sun looks like is a better ship, but for the money we're looking to spend we're looking into a porthole cabin, cat G. On Wind, however, for the same amount of money we can get a dlx ocean view. So, we don't know what to do.

My first question is how big is the portholeon the Sun, and does it really have an ocean view or is it a view of inside of a deck, as some have suggested?

Second question, is it really worth having a bigger window on Alaska cruise?

Also, I'm a photographer, so I was hoping to snap a few pics while on board. Is there enough space for me on the deck to have a tripod?

That's all I have so far. Thank you all in advance.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 AM

Quote:
New
Actually, I think you would enjoy a balcony best on an Alaska cruise. If's its the same money for the deluxe ocean view over the porthole then I definetly would take the ocean view. The NCL Wind came out in 1993 and is 50,760 tons, the NCL Sun came out in 2001 and is 77,104 tons. The Sun has more dining options. I did the Wind in 2001 when she was in Asia. I just sailed on the Sun in January.
You should be able to find a spot for your tripod, but probably would want to get in place before the crowds before coming into a port.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Banned

Yes, there is room on deck. Both the Wind and Sun have public decks fore and aft. Then there's always the Promenade Deck for port and starboard views.
Since you are taking a camera, I highly suggest getting a balcony cabin, especially for Alaska cruises, so you can get some really great landscapes without leaving your cabin.
Otherwise, you'll be making mad scrambles to an open deck with your camera and tripod whenever you see something worth taking a snapshot of, instead of cozying oout to your balcony with the camera and tripod already set up. Both ship have balcony cabins, although the Sun has significantly more.
The Wind has a few advantages over the Sun because it will sail up and down the Innside Passage, while the Sun will only sail up. Neither ship stops in Glacier Bay, and the itineraries are almost the same. The major difference will be that the Sun will stop in Prince Rupert, an extra port, while the Wind doesn't.
While the Wind is older by almost a decade, it's not a run down ship. NCL keeps it in grand shape. The Wind was stretched in 1999, which added restaurants and cabins, but the main restaurants can have long lines because they weren't enlarged with the increased capacity. The Sun was designed and built to support Freestyle Cruising, and the lines for dinner will be smaller than on the Wind.

Both ships are good choices for cruising to Alaska. The Wind doesn't have all the bells and whistles the Sun has, which is why its fares are lower, but it's difficult to pass on a great deal.
By the way, the fare for a balcony cabin is $1500 more per person than an oceanview on the Wind, and $400 more per person on the Sun (July 22 cruise).

The Sun has two deck levels with portholes. Deck 4 has small port holes while Deck 5 has much larger portholes. As you can see, they do look out onto the sea. Cat. G are on deck 4, you'll want Cat. F to be on Deck 5. Here's a photo I made last December that shows their sizes.

As for cabin sizes, the Sun's Oceanviews are 160 sq.ft. while the Wind's are 152 sq.ft.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:01 PM

Thanks very much for your help. Well, we'd like to get a balcony, but at this point it's about $800 difference, which we'd rather spend on tours at this point.

Also, I talked to a travel agent, and she told me that cat G cabins get large porthole. So, is she wrong? I just sent her an email asking her to double check the info.

I think that at this point we're leaning towards the Sun. First of all, the airfare is cheaper to Seattle. Second, it looks like the ship is nicer and better choice of restaurants.

Also, can you tell me what's at Prince Rupert?

Thank you all again.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Clark:
Yes, there is room on deck. Both the Wind and Sun have public decks fore and aft. Then there's always the Promenade Deck for port and starboard views.
Since you are taking a camera, I highly suggest getting a balcony cabin, especially for Alaska cruises, so you can get some really great landscapes without leaving your cabin.
Otherwise, you'll be making mad scrambles to an open deck with your camera and tripod whenever you see something worth taking a snapshot of, instead of cozying oout to your balcony with the camera and tripod already set up. Both ship have balcony cabins, although the Sun has significantly more.
The Wind has a few advantages over the Sun because it will sail up and down the Innside Passage, while the Sun will only sail up. Neither ship stops in Glacier Bay, and the itineraries are almost the same. The major difference will be that the Sun will stop in Prince Rupert, an extra port, while the Wind doesn't.
While the Wind is older by almost a decade, it's not a run down ship. NCL keeps it in grand shape. The Wind was stretched in 1999, which added restaurants and cabins, but the main restaurants can have long lines because they weren't enlarged with the increased capacity. The Sun was designed and built to support Freestyle Cruising, and the lines for dinner will be smaller than on the Wind.

Both ships are good choices for cruising to Alaska. The Wind doesn't have all the bells and whistles the Sun has, which is why its fares are lower, but it's difficult to pass on a great deal.
By the way, the fare for a balcony cabin is $1500 more per person than an oceanview on the Wind, and $400 more per person on the Sun (July 22 cruise).

The Sun has two deck levels with portholes. Deck 4 has small port holes while Deck 5 has much larger portholes. As you can see, they do look out onto the sea. Cat. G are on deck 4, you'll want Cat. F to be on Deck 5. Here's a photo I made last December that shows their sizes.

As for cabin sizes, the Sun's Oceanviews are 160 sq.ft. while the Wind's are 152 sq.ft.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:28 PM

Take the Wind! I was just on the Wind,and several folks said best service from staff is the Wind over other ships-it was superb!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator

This is a tough one. Norwegian Wind is a beautiful ship, and has wonderful cascading aft decks that will be perfect for setting up a tripod. When we were on N. Wind years ago (pre-stretch, when she was named Windward), we were told that she was built specifically for easy viewing of the Alaska coast. The dining rooms have walls of windows, enabling you to see the glaciers while you dine. The two aft dining rooms have walls of windows on three sides.

Yet, Norwegian Sun has more dining choices and the Seattle departure helps considerably with the cost of airfare.

I think I'd let itinerary decide this one...

Let us know what you select.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

What to do in Prince Rupert? Much!
North Coast Explorer train excursion.
Halibut fishing tours.
Whale discovery tour.
Grizzly Bear viewing. (bears not guaranteed)
Several river and valley nature tours in the rainforest with baked salmon for lunch.
A canoe quest. (To add, that's a huge canoe at 31 feet long)
Then there's always the Cow Bay tourist village and shops.

Cat F cabins are on Deck 5, and have large portholes. Cat. G cabins are on Deck 4, and have smaller portholes. Photos don't lie! Go to NCL's web site and check the Deck Plans yourself. Just click on the cabin and it's classification will come up in a new window.
Deck 4
http://164.109.173.140/fleet/09/dp/09_dp_bisc.htm
Deck 5
http://164.109.173.140/fleet/09/dp/09_dp_atlantic.htm

Note: Deck 5 is just one deck below and one deck closer to the Promenade Deck; an excellent place to set up a tripod for snapping photos.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Banned

As I wrote before, with the exception of the home port, the itineraries are pretty much the same.
The Sun has an extra port, Prince Rupert, but to accomplish that, it sails on the West side of Vancouver Island on the way back to Seattle.

Meanwhile, the Wind sails in both directions through the Inside Passage to and from Vancouver.

The Wind is a good ship and is kept in great shape. But it isn't as great at Freestyle Cruising as the Sun. I would choose the Sun mainly because it has an extra port in it's itinerary. For those who like sailing at sea, through the Inside Passage in both directions, the Wind would be a better choice.

Have a great cruise............to Alaska.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 PM

Ron, thanks for your explanations. I got a reply from the TA and she said that those cabins on deck 4, cat G are with large porthole. What's more, I just checked out some photos from a person who was in the same category and it looked like a big porthole. Also, when I clicked on your link, it said big port hole as well. So, I guess I'm really confused.
But, cabin aside, we've decided to go for the Sun. We'll probably book tomorow or saturday. Now, if only I could figure out what room to book

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Clark:
What to do in Prince Rupert? Much!
North Coast Explorer train excursion.
Halibut fishing tours.
Whale discovery tour.
Grizzly Bear viewing. (bears not guaranteed)
Several river and valley nature tours in the rainforest with baked salmon for lunch.
A canoe quest. (To add, that's a huge canoe at 31 feet long)
Then there's always the Cow Bay tourist village and shops.

Cat F cabins are on Deck 5, and have large portholes. Cat. G cabins are on Deck 4, and have smaller portholes. Photos don't lie! Go to NCL's web site and check the Deck Plans yourself. Just click on the cabin and it's classification will come up in a new window.
Deck 4
http://164.109.173.140/fleet/09/dp/09_dp_bisc.htm
Deck 5
http://164.109.173.140/fleet/09/dp/09_dp_atlantic.htm

Note: Deck 5 is just one deck below and one deck closer to the Promenade Deck; an excellent place to set up a tripod for snapping photos.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

Go ahead and book your oceanview cabin now. Then have your travel agent check with NCL to see if you can make an upsell into a balcony cabin.

Upsells usually start at 50% the difference between the cabin classifications. If you can wangle an upsell deal, you could save $400 on a balcony. I've seen upsells from oceanview cabins to balcony cabins for as little as $150 per person which would save you $500. Upsells are offered on almost every cruise that isn't sold out, but not always for every cabin classification. It never hurts to ask NCL.
Also, if NCL does offer an upsell, they are usually willing to negotitate the fares. It never hurts to make a counter-offer to seal a deal.
Most travel agents aren't aware of the upsell process, so be persistent, it does exist. An important note, if you book through a travel agent, NCL will want to only talk with the travel agent. So it's important to get the travel agent working for you to seal the deal. Don't ruffle their feathers.........
You can check with NCL yourself to see what's available in the upsell market, but the deal will have to be made through the travel agent.

Good luck!

Closed Thread

Tags
ncl, ocean, reviews, sun, view